#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Quick question.

Does anyone know if the Gen3 Legacy GT-B (MY00 or MY01 unsure, listed as 2000 model) is compatible with OBD2? Just want to know if i can use my Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and run it with Torque to receive vehicle performance information.

Cheers.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Can't help sorry, but keen to know the answer!

I have a feeling the answer is no. I had trouble connecting mine to an obd2 diagnostic tool but it may have been a dodgy scanner.

#3 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I don't believe its fully compatible. You might be able to get some readings, but it would be limited basic error codes etc. Maybe someone here can confirm?? I seem to recall a few of the gents trying a scanguage of some sort on a  B4 with JDM ECU at Hooters once and it didn't really show much.

My understanding is that the Gen3 Outback's were the first Suby's to be fully OBDII compatible...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

They are considered OBD2 compliant as far as the standards of the day is concerned. However, the standards have changed several times since then, and most scanner tools these days do not carry the relevant codecs (for lack of a better word) to read the old standards. Make sure you have something that is compatible with the subaru in-house monitoring system (cant remember the name they gave it sorry) and you should be ok.

The amount of things you can monitor with it are limited, as the ECU doesnt output as much info as the newer models do.

Hope that helps.

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

The protocol is called SSM. I had no luck getting it to read anything other than the model and year of manufacture of my B4 with torque. Note that the cheap bluetooth adaptors don't support SSM and you need one called OBDKey. I can sell you mine if you'd like to try

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Okay cool. I currently use Torque on my XR5 but when that moves along for hopefully a Gen3 Legacy, was wondering if i could retain the use of it, or better to pass it on.

#7 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well Torque does support SSM so if you have the right adaptor theoretically you should be able to make it work if you put enough time in. Apparently the developer of torque is quite prepared to work with people to make things work, he has a forum dedicated to it. I say go for it!

The other thing I found out when researching this was that the protocol does not update as frequently as the newer ones, so if you're viewing live boost/temp/whatever it might not be quick enough for real time monitoring. But it might be haha

Let us know if you have any success

#8 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

you need something that supports SSM2 to read a B4...

#9 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have the B4 model. I Experimented at my own cost through my own research :(

And this is not speculation I have Both these Tactrix cables. If you want to try and You're near me feel free to give me a holla and roll up with a k3g of Beer :)

Tactrix OpenPort 1.3U is supported by the B4 ECU

Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 is not supported

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#10 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

The protocol is called SSM. I had no luck getting it to read anything other than the model and year of manufacture of my B4 with torque. Note that the cheap bluetooth adaptors don't support SSM and you need one called OBDKey. I can sell you mine if you'd like to try

Hey Nick,

If Jimbo doesn't want it, I might be interested.

If available how much do want for it ???

Regards

Simon.

#11 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well, no-one is interested in my XR5 for now so im still waiting for it all to happen. There's a few Legacy's I've been eyeing off but it's pointless until i sell the 5.

Thing is, im looking at only Rev A-C models so late '98 to '00 max. I believe there were differences in OBD protocols between A-C and D-E, obviously the latter being tunable and the former not.  B4 is completely irrelevant here.

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Okay, just did some research. From what i can find in the Torque Forums, Nick, you are correct in saying the OBDKey adapter is required. From what i can tell it appears Ian has now updated Torque to communicate with SSM and SSM2. You used to first have to configure your adapter into SSM mode with another app but Torque now does it itself.

I will add more information once i actually own another Subaru!

#13 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

A little update, I got this email yesterday. Will try it out on my car when I can get a firmware update:

Dear OBDKey Customer,

In the past you have expressed an interest in Subaru support via OBDKey using Subaru’s own SSM protocol.

Over the next month we will be looking into any issues as we review the OBDKey and use of the SSM protocol when performing diagnostics with OBDKey.

We’ve set up a web page at

http://www.obdkey.co...aru_support.asp

On this page we’ve posted a few links to videos and documents.

If you have specific requirements, tips to share, good or bad experiences or anything else, please let me know via this email support@obdkey.com and we can work to get some issues resolved.

It seems the main issues are

·         Using Torque for Android with OBDKey in SSM mode

·         Reading fault codes from the Subaru in SSM mode

·         Clearing fault codes from the Subaru in SSM mode

·         Using the Subaru SSM mode over CAN bus on newer cars

I hope to hear from you so that we can improve what we do with support for Subaru cars with OBDKey.

If you wish to be removed from this list, just reply with REMOVE in the subject or message.

Regards,

Sinclair

#14 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Nice, seems things are coming along. Let us know how it all goes!

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#15 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

Interesting.

Now, is it mandatory use a "obdkey" adapter from this company to be able to use SSM? Surely the cheaper ones should work as all they are is a gateway for the Torque app to receive data right? So in theory, it's all down to how Torque processes the information regardless of how it's received, so aslong as Torque can process SSM protocol, any adapter should be fine?

#16 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

No no, how I read it is that obdkey is starting to sort out the issues with using SSM with their product.
Torque and obdkey is one of the main issues obdkey is trying to rectify.

#17 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

Interesting.

Now, is it mandatory use a "obdkey" adapter from this company to be able to use SSM? Surely the cheaper ones should work as all they are is a gateway for the Torque app to receive data right? So in theory, it's all down to how Torque processes the information regardless of how it's received, so aslong as Torque can process SSM protocol, any adapter should be fine?

To be honest I can't remember. When I did my research into it to buy one I remember finding that I would only stand a chance with the OBDkey and that the Elm 327 or whatever they are called wouldn't work, but I can't remember the reasoning. While the adaptor reads and transmits the information, OBD2 and SSM are two different protocols and if the adaptor is only designed to transmit one of them you may have a hard time with it.

But, by all means, look into it since I haven't for quite a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users