• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Just curious as to the opinions people have on driving lights/light bars. 
Was contemplating getting something like this 

http://www.ebay.com....ce5f12c6&_uhb=1 

and fitting it on with this http://www.ebay.com....2fb13500&_uhb=1

opinions would be greatly appreciated. 
(car is a bh outback)

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#2 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Depends what you want to use it for. 

Did you need something for country roads or is this more for the city or aesthetic purposes?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#3 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Bit of both, would look nice in my opinion but wouldn't be going to waste by any means

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#4 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

To be honest with you, the one you selected for country roads wouldn't be that great. It has a relatively high colour temp (6500K) so the actual light output wouldn't be as much as a conventional white or yellow lights. Furthermore the LED lens on that isn't designed for projecting spread beams into the distance, so you'll find it creates a lot of light within close proximity of the car but not much in the distance where you want it. 

If you're looking for a good blend of something stylish with usable light, I recommend something like Hella Chromiums. Traditional halogen style spot lights with a chrome case. Looks nice and has a proper spread beam that'll make a big difference on the open road. 

#5 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

So it would be a fairly useless in other words? 
I'm a fan of the bar style light but if it's no good then I guess ill have to change my opinion. 

Thanks for your input :)

#6 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

So it would be a fairly useless in other words? 
I'm a fan of the bar style light but if it's no good then I guess ill have to change my opinion. 

Thanks for your input :)

Well yeh, it won't really serve its intended purpose as well as you may like it too. That ones originally used as a work light, so good for construction and that sort of thing. OK for cars. But get yourself a decent spot light (doesn't have to be huge) and bung some HID's in there and you'll have superior light to that little LED unit you posted.  

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

That won't do sweet effe aye.

Cheers, 

Nik

#8 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

That won't do sweet effe aye.

Cheers, 

Nik

Not sure if I have translated properly, but you're siding with them being useless as well?

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi,

Completely aesthetic.

Cheers,

Nik

#10 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the input :)

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

Didn't mean to be too short with you, but the reality is, especially for country driving, they won't illuminate - they'll just piss of the people driving towards you.

Cheers,

Nik

#12 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

All sweet. I got what you meant.
Yeah I had never planned on using it with cars on coming or in front of me. It was going to be purely to assist the useless headlights on the outbacks

#13 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

You could consider upgrading to the jdm hids?

#14 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

^ This is what I did

#15 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yeah I plan on doing that as well. But I still want driving lights haha

#16 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Agree. Get some proper designed spotlights. The difference will astound.

Your mounting listed there will be ok, but may need some steadying materials. I used a 12mm thick plate between the bumper and the crash bar, with 4x M10x45 bolts with spacers to hold the mounting tight against the bumper bar. Then I still needed cable ties to stop the flex (the injection moulded plastic front bar still moves as it is not held solidly enough to the crash bar) due to speed. Depends on what size spots you use, and how you plan on mounting them though. 

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#17 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

I have the same mounting equipment, I got some metal cubes made up to fit in the gap between the plastic bumper and the subframe. Then bolt through the mount, plastic bumper, cube and subframe and it's rock solid  :D

#18 Jason Parker

Jason Parker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

I live in Mansfield, so can come across wombats, kangaroos and deer and although I haven't used one of these bar type lights I have asked people that have reputable brand ones fitted to their car what they are like.
I've only heard positive responses so far. They have a wide spread, rather than a long throw, which is helpful when dealing with wildlife coming in from the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

#19 SamuelCharles

SamuelCharles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:54 AM

My dad has a 17" 108W CREE bar on his Forester and I'm very jealous. The pro for them is that they illuminate close proximity like nothing else! They have a very wide and high spread, great for spotting animals at night on/ on the side of country roads. The con is that they have the same amount of reach as the stock high beams. All in all if you want to light the area up to the reach of your high beams completely, I highly recommend a nice CREE light bar! If you are looking for range though, go with a nice set of Halogen spotties. Hope this helped :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users