←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Will's B4 Special Build

WillC's Photo WillC 05 Feb 2014

As mentioned to some at the meet today. Base fuel maps /timing/injector scaling had to go as the B4 injectors were pink tops and wrx ones are only mapped to 420cc. I loaded it up with the maps from STi Spec C to suit my build a little closer. I don't have my wide o2 sensor yet ( in the mail from Wollongong)so this is about the best I can do.

I wouldn't recommend using this tune for any purposes but this is currently what I am running.

Standard OBDII fault code for High fuel level deleted since the B4 doesn't have this

WRX TGV's deleted as B4's didn't come with this either.

Weekend I should have the wideband o2 in and be able to log how my fuel map is going and adjust timing and fuel map to hopefully have a better tune. Boost is still at wastegate pressure so I don't know how this will pan out yet when I add the wastegate control solenoid valve.

As previously stated this setup is to get me through my engine run in, my mech doesn't want me to do crazy stuff with it just yet :'(

More to come on the B4 Journey

Does anyone know how to attach a file ?

LPM_B4's Photo LPM_B4 05 Feb 2014

look down the bottom right and go more reply options in there you will see down the bototm add file

I tried it says. You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Must be locked down.

WillC's Photo WillC 06 Feb 2014

Attached File  A4SE700I- STI-v1 Draft G.zip   80.44KB   8 downloads

Finally able to upload this in. I got my AEM A/F Ratio gauge and getting ready to splice and do cabling for the weekend. Will be able to do some serious logging and mods soon!

WillC's Photo WillC 16 Feb 2014

Finally got my logging and gauges set up properly. Seeing a bit of knock correction, still learning how to do this properly. Here's what it looks like from the cockpit !Attached File  20140215_182509.jpg   126.48KB   16 downloads

migoreng's Photo migoreng 16 Feb 2014

Nice :)

I want to change my boost from bar to psi.

WillC's Photo WillC 21 Feb 2014

update. I got my tune as best I could and put some k's on now off for some real pro work.Attached File  20140221_130112.jpg   119.68KB   15 downloads
and while I wait I get to play with this guy
Attached File  20140221_124448.jpg   79.42KB   15 downloads

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 21 Feb 2014

You're the worst when it comes to photos!

:P

aekOne's Photo aekOne 22 Feb 2014

Will's Asian too so you'd expect better ;)

WillC's Photo WillC 22 Feb 2014

Bah I'm not paying myself to take the photos so meh. On a side note the B4 is alive again and has some epic low end movability. Compared to the twin setup I'd say freaken down low the single has more power.

Power is about 480Nm @ 3.5k RPM

WillC's Photo WillC 23 Feb 2014

Changed the oil today. Cranked the engine, heard some squeakiness but went away quick so didn't think too much of it. A minute later saw some from the engine bay and was not happy days.

Anyhow off the engine goes to diagnose the problem. Problem was with this little bugger. I'm getting no love from bearings recently.

New belt and new tensioner assembly on the way :(

Attached File  20140223_1748251.jpg   148.53KB   15 downloads

Attached File  20140223_1749031.jpg   198.56KB   15 downloads

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 23 Feb 2014

God damn!

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 24 Feb 2014

Ouch. You're certainly not getting much luck. Put it on a dyno for the power output. When I did my conversion, the power at low revs was vastly different (and better ;) ). Single beats the crap out of the twins for output.

WillC's Photo WillC 24 Feb 2014

It was on a dyno =) very safe conservative tune by Michael South. He held back alot due to the Beast still having ALOT of restrictions. The old exhaust is choking the crap outta the engine higher up. Right now its only making 190kw atw on 17psi with a rich tune theres plenty I can still lean it out and get bigger power. Michael the B4 will reach WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP SPEEED (smash through 200KW) easy with a proper exhaust.

WillC's Photo WillC 02 Jun 2014

So I was on the way back from the HVC. Dropped Lesa off and on the way home the orange light of doom and gloom turned on. CEL light, just my luck I was just chatting to BOSSKONG earlier about having a spare O2 sensor and when I got back mine went kaput. Replaced the unit on Sunday with the spare so looks like I'll have to do another buy for a sensor because I seem to go through them like crazy hopefully MSR will be able to fix my tune so I'm not burning through these like crazy.

I believe it is too rich and that richness is causing the o2 sensors to foul up.

I'll be ordering them from the UK as usual again.

On a side note I redid my B4 loom to meet WRX Standards but realised something different about the o2 sensor harness. Subaru magnetically shield this particular loom which has me worried. I haven't shielded the last 2m of the loom which i'll have to get around to fixing.

On another note I fixed my Wastegate control solenoid valve (some people call them boost controllers)to a better location where the wrx one is and I can tell you the WRX solenoid valve values are different to your B4 ones. The B4 ones I believe may be stronger as mine held boost. After dropping a WRX one in there I found I was loosing boost under WOT. I have a Grimmspeed on the way so that will be dropped in this weekend.

Oh and also I had a weird miss at 1.5k rpm. After replacing that faulty o2 sensor it looks to have cleaned itself up. Maybe that was a sign / symptom people can look for when trouble shooting weird missing and engine stutter.

So I even though I my 2.0L engine is getting up to spec and getting fun, unfortunately I've already decided 2.0l is not really where its at. I managed to get my hands on a 2.5l block today and 14mm head studs going in it  :dash2:

OH by HERE we go again!

Also If any of you have done it,

I need advice on the rear tailshaft to suit a 6 speed + R180.

How to I bolt a 6 speed gearbox in. What crossmemeber would be used and which tailshaft would be long and strong enough for a R180 diff and 6 speed box.

Cheers,

Will

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 02 Jun 2014

See, it's just never enough.

Look forward to seeing where this goes.