←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Will's B4 Special Build

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 03 Jun 2014

Also If any of you have done it,

I need advice on the rear tailshaft to suit a 6 speed + R180.

How to I bolt a 6 speed gearbox in. What crossmemeber would be used and which tailshaft would be long and strong enough for a R180 diff and 6 speed box.

Cheers,

Will

I think an auto gen 2 tail shaft works. I could be wrong though

WillC's Photo WillC 03 Jun 2014

I thought the tailshaft off a gen 2 is weaker ?

Also isn't the connector for the auto and 6 speed different?

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 03 Jun 2014

I haven't heard of people snapping tail shafts before. I think they're the same it's the length you need as the six speed and autos are longer than 5 speeds.

Someone more knowledgeable will reply eventually

Reevesy's Photo Reevesy 03 Jun 2014

You will definitely need a Gen 3 Auto tailshaft, 99 % sure you have to use the 6 speed crossmember. Can still use 5 speed flywheel,clutch and starter as long as used together otherwise will have to go all 6 speed gear

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 03 Jun 2014

Definitely advisable to go 6spd clutch etc if you can afford it, from memory they are about 15 to 20mm larger diameter. But if you cant afford it at the time of going 6spd, just keep all the 5spd gear. Def need the 6spd crossmember too, box is physically larger diameter than the 5spd, so mount points are different.

WillC's Photo WillC 03 Jun 2014

will be changing flywheel and clutch here. I'm not looking to cut corners. Am I'm not looking to see what I can get away with. I'm after a strong tail/drive shaft. Will or does anyone know if a gen 4 6 speed tailshaft will fit?

Reevesy's Photo Reevesy 03 Jun 2014

I doubt it will. I'm pretty sure they have a different wheel base which means a different shaft

Zac's Photo Zac 03 Jun 2014

Will, did you want to fix my B4 with some of your magic skillz? :)

WillC's Photo WillC 23 Jun 2014

so I sorted out all the boost leaks and tweaked around with vac lines and made sure everything was in check. Took the B4 to msr to have a checkup and sort some stuff out. Walked out with 213kw and 560nm torque. The vf34 is outta juice and we won't get much more outta this little puppy.

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 23 Jun 2014

Sounds like a turbo upgrade is coming.

sbv's Photo sbv 23 Jun 2014

That's a great result - must be a lot of fun!

WillC's Photo WillC 24 Jun 2014

I'm not sure if i'll upgrade the turbo. The engine is built to 300kw ATW capable. I have an idea what turbo will flow right with low lag that I can put in but i'm not sure I want to commit to it as I am already looking into building a 2.5L with hybrid heads.

This is all about 1.5years away and building slowly though and I may crack under the pressue =] (psi) :sarcastic:

WillC's Photo WillC 24 Jun 2014

BTW About the tune from MSR. I wasn't convinced with the initial tune as there were a few things that were a tiny bit off. Took it back and the touchup was insanely reasonable, I won't quote how much it was as these things will vary, but it was VERY VERY reasonable considering there was further work done to the B4.

I will also say the retune is a different car, previous stutter is non existant, boost feels very solid car. My baby feels rock solid now. 

For those of you out there that are worried or hesitant about getting your vehicles tuned by Michael don't hesitate its not worth it. Now I just need to see if my fuel economy is better.

WillC's Photo WillC 25 Jun 2014

Some goodies arrived today, in prep for the new build.

Building this will take time and i'll be getting things one by one.

Attached File  20140625_1846501.jpg   104.55KB   6 downloads

Overnight parts direct from Japan

Attached File  20140625_1847001.jpg   73.34KB   6 downloads

US Parts :D

Attached File  20140624_1948411.jpg   141.31KB   6 downloads

Attached File  20140625_1855241.jpg   125.71KB   7 downloads

Bigger injectors FTW

Attached File  20140625_1854461.jpg   96.01KB   7 downloads

I want a rev happy engine but the standard B4 cluster doesn't allow for it. So time to hack up this STI cluster to make it a hybrid B4 Blacked out STI cluster!

zahmad's Photo zahmad 25 Jun 2014

Good luck with it! Hope it goes well :)

WillC's Photo WillC 12 Jul 2014

Been spending alot of time trying to figure out this tune ( or relearning how to drive ). I was trying to find out why the car was so rich as I was driving it normally how I thought I drove it with the old block, which is basically driving it like I stole it.

Driving My Baby hits boost almost every time I'm on the accelerator and it hits boost easy with the vf34 in there with massive spool. The B4 feels like it has double the power before and I don't consciously remember this all I feel is my left and right butt cheeks getting planted into the seat. 

I decided to test the fuel economy trying to drive like a normal person and felt totally retarded. So far it's bee half a tank and the mileage is very very different to before. Its not as thirsty for fuel and I'm getting wayyyy more out of the tank. I think the B4 is secretly telling me to stop hoooning it everywhere :D.

SO the question is, how do you guys drive your cars ? how often do you hit WOT and full boost per day? 10 ? 20 times?

patttyfox's Photo patttyfox 12 Jul 2014

Depends how bad a day I've had at work.. :P

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 12 Jul 2014

When my auto gearbox sorts itself out and says i can

patttyfox's Photo patttyfox 12 Jul 2014

When my auto gearbox sorts itself out and says i can

Can't hold it in a gear Jim?

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 12 Jul 2014

I just drive my car :P