Photo

This is aimed at all of those younguns in school.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

haha! industrial electrician turned technical officer checking in!

great trade, arguably one of the hardest though. plenty to get out of it if you put the hard yards in.

also suggest if you do complete apprenticeship go further with it. my post trade years of TAFE taught me some great skills.

MY07 GT spec B

#22 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

I haven't been to UNi or done a trade, and potentially I will be travelling all over the big round globe in my job. Travel is more important to me than money.

#23 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Started in a quarry as a trainee. Did Cert 3 in extractive industries. Worked my way up to Leading Hand, then Production Supervisor, Quarry Manager and Maintenance Supervisor in 3 different quarries over 9 1/2 years. Now Area Manager for a global explosives company called Maxam. Looking after our largest depot in Australia.

Glad I didnt go to Uni.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#24 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Ugh. Shift work. Do not want.

I never went to uni. Did a business course at TAFE straight out of school, got a job - didn't relate to anything I wanted to go into... purely just to earn money, figured out what I wanted to do with my career, enrolled in another TAFE course to help me get there. Over half way through that now and still working full time at the same job. Doesn't pay fantastically but I'd rather spend time with my family than spend every sunlit hour at work for a bit of extra cash.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#25 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

Can I just rename this thread 'We're all different'

?

Cheers,

Nik

#26 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

^^ Haha yep.

Not all of us want to be tradies!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#27 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Doesn't pay fantastically but I'd rather spend time with my family than spend every sunlit hour at work for a bit of extra cash.

this. don't live to work, work to live. 

too many people i know and in my current company do 12-14 hour days, and have no real life outside of work. don't know how anyone can do it

#28 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

^^ Haha yep.

Not all of us want to be tradies!

yep

tIeW8DE.png

#29 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

this. don't live to work, work to live. 

too many people i know and in my current company do 12-14 hour days, and have no real life outside of work. don't know how anyone can do it

+1. Although I am eager to get into a career, there is no way I'm gonna be spending every waking second working. There are more things to life than work. It's all about balance and priorities in my opinion.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#30 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Shift work is certainly not for everyone. It means a long day. But in my case, it means I spend less days a year working, and more full days doing things I want to. If I need to work more hours during those days I am at work to facilitate this, so be it. However, if and when kids come along, I dare say that attitude will disappear.

But I think we are starting to move away from the purpose of the original post - to say that there are quite a few different alternatives to Uni, most of which are almost never covered (or should I say advertised) in school. This wasnt meant to be a 'Do a trade, its the only way to make great money' thread (even though in hindsight, it certainly sounded that way lol). In my opinion, TAFE is not advertised near well enough, be it trade or not.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#31 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I agree. When I went to school it was university or nothing really. I went to Year 12 and did my HSC and did get a UAI, although not the best, I didn't do much for about six months before deciding to study Architectural Technology in TAFE. If I was to continue with the course and finish it, I'd be able to transfer to university, gain exemptions for particular subjects and end up graduating a year earlier than I would if I had gone directly to university.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users