#1 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

First point - It is great to see people putting these in their cars. I remember as a kid something happened to our family car once and dad's quick action with a small extinguisher saved the engine bay. Still couldnt go anywhere afterwards, but it saved a more major fire.

They are an extremely useful tool in the right circumstance.

However. Please choose the right one. Most car shops will only sell the dry chem/powder ones (Red w/ White band - which is the only type you want in a car). The others have their uses, but on the whole, in a vehicle, dry chem is the only one you want.

Also - for those people attending motor sport events, this will be more important to you than the general public. They do require servicing and inspections to be 'legal' (for lack of a better word).

Out of the CAMS book:

2. SERVICE AND INSPECTION

2.1 Each hand-held extinguisher shall be inspected by a scrutineer at least once every six months, or otherwise prior to competition. This inspection shall involve visually checking the unit and its mountings for damage and corrosion, checking the pressure of the contents via an installed gauge, and inverting and shaking the container to check for settling of the extinguishant. Where practical, it is recommended the extinguisher be weighed (mandatory where no gauge is installed).

2.2 Each AS1841 standard fire extinguisher shall be serviced every three years. If the extinguisher is compliant with another acceptable standard, it shall be serviced every two years. This servicing shall be undertaken in accordance with the procedures laid out by the manufacturer and/or the relevant standard (eg, AS1851 for AS1841 extinguishers) and shall include a hydrostatic pressure test of the extinguisher body.

2.3 Each fire extinguisher which is homologated by the FIA shall be serviced either by the manufacturer or their agent no more than two years after either the date of filling or the date of the last service. This servicing shall be undertaken in accordance with the procedures laid out by the manufacturer and/or the relevant standard and shall include a hydrostatic pressure test of the extinguisher body.

2.4 Extinguisher service records must be made available to a scrutineer on demand. For an AS1841 fire extinguisher, an AS1851 service tag stamped by an authorised person/organisation is sufficient for this purpose.

While this is the letter of the law when it comes to motorsport, its generally how things work everywhere else too. The three year testing is not something that we can do ourselves, and generally, for the small 1kg extinguishers, it will be cheaper to buy another than it will be to have it emptied, tested and re-filled by a qualified fire tech.

Basically, for the everyday person, these rules will be disregarded. But for your own piece of mind, make sure you check the pressure and shake them around every 6 months. If you dont, you run the risk of needing it one day, and the damn thing doesn't work because you have let it settle for too long.

I know this is somewhat pedantic, but I doubt many of you have thought about their fire extinguisher, and will likely just expect it to work, even if its been sitting for several years.

Hope this makes people think.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Good advice Ben.

I have carried an extinguisher in every car I have owned up to my current one.
This just reminded me to get off my arse and fit one.

As a side note, I have one in the garage near the door, one in the kitchen (plus a fire blanket) away from the stove and one in the camper trailer.
:)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for write up.

I've taken a fire extinguisher course and it's quite scary how quickly a fire gets out of control.

As you said, simply replace them every few years.

It's quite fun letting the old ones off anyway :)

Posted Image

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

Ah yes. Thanks for the reminder!

I did have one in the Forester but when I changed to WRX seats, my bracket would not fit...

Must get in there and make a new one :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 bigBADbenny

bigBADbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Family Photography Cars Bicycling

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I have a KAP extinguisher bracket and SCA extinguisher in the passenger footwell: love it!

I plan to runs some sneaky heater hose from eg the below the bumper to adjacent the turbo area and to the inlet mani area etc so I can deliver the charge to the required areas without needing to open the bonnet.

Just another crazy overkill plan. ;)

MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP WAG

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

case in point....

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Better add that to the budget for my conversion lol

tIeW8DE.png

#8 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Our club did a big group buy on the 1.5kg AFFF extinguishers last year because as most guys who rally have found those 1kg dry chemical extinguishers do not have a hope in hell of putting out an oil or fuel fire.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

I think in the higher levels of rallying events, you need either a 2.4L AFFF extinguishing system or 2x 1kg dry chem. I know one of my mates has just bought a rally car, and it came with both the 2 extinguishers and an AFFF system.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Been meaning to get one since the conversion.

#11 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Have a look at this thread, particularly post #8 onwards for the reason behind us moving to AFFF.

http://www.bmsc.com....1-1-2011-a.html

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#12 BMX013

BMX013

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

my friends dad is a fire whatever u call em guy. goes around doing all the equipment in buildings etc. he showed me a trick thats important if u need to use em.

when sitting for a long time they tend to settle. so when u go to use one, bang it on the ground then tip it upside down for a few seconds, you will be able to hear all the stuff inside falling to the bottom, it breaks it all up other wise if they are too settled and u go to spray nothing really comes out but the gas.

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yep, thanks for reminding me.

I need to get one as well.

Someone organise a GB

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

+1

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

+2

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#16 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

+3

#17 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

+ more

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#18 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Yep, thanks for reminding me.

I need to get one as well.

Someone organise a GB

+1

+2

+3

+ more

Yep

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#19 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

aldi for the win

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#20 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

aldi for the win

Aldi back on: picked up a dry powder + fire blanket for $30 on Sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users