• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

OK, I currently have an MY06 3.0R SPecB Wagon.

From factory it's lower than a normal Liberty (10-15mm) due to the Bilsteins
I've also fitted in TunedBy STi Billies and Pink Springs which drops it another 5-10mm so in fact i'm about 20-30mm down on a stock Lib

I plan on dropping some 1" lift blocks on top of the struts and running outback rims/ tyres.

Can anyone see issues I might come across by using lift blocks with regards to Steering knuckles, CV/ suspension angles, etc

I expect it's just going to sit at basically the same height as a stock 2.0 or 2.5 Lib, and as such no issues with the above,
Thoughts?

#2 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Have you thought about going with outback suspension? (assuming the struts are longer) Or are they same as the gen 3 libs just with lifting blocks between the crossmembers?

#3 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Dunno.
Either way, stock outback or lib suspension is far too soft.
Even the Stock SPecB Springs were too soft.
The STi gear still has plenty of upwards travel before getting near the bump-stops and heaps of droop (like 3") and it handles the weight that i put on the car.

It won't make a difference if i use longer struts or lift blocks.
the distance between the strut tower steel and the hub will still increase by 1"

#4 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Shiv is probably the best one to give u advice on this...

#5 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I don;t suspect any problems as it's only going t be at the same height as a stock Lib and I'm not adding spacers to the driveline or engine mounting positions

#6 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

If it's anything like the Gen 2 or Gen 3 you may need to space the engine crossmember, transmission crossmember, tailshaft centre carrier bearing, trailing arm mounts and steering knuckle.

...Yep, most on this forum are still a bit behind them times with Gen 2/3 Libs... Myself included (though I've owned and modified a Gen 4 too).

Gen 4 outback could quite well be different to the previous models though, so you may want to double check. There are a few guys on liberty.asn who have lowered/delifted their Gen 4 outbacks so you may want to check with them. Who knows, they may even have some spacers/parts laying around for you...

At any rate if it's raised by an inch and lowered half an inch or so with the billies/sti springs it shouldn't have much impact on geometry at all. If you are planning on raising it more you might want to look into the full de-delift/lift kit.

I'd be tempted to sell the billies/pinks and replace them with outback struts/heavy duty springs, though it will still not match the ride quality of the billies.

Cheers.

#7 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I expect it's just going to sit at basically the same height as a stock 2.0 or 2.5 Lib, and as such no issues with the above,

^This +1.

If it's lowered by 20-30mm and you add 1" lifting block, +/-5mm isn't going to present issues.

#8 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

At any rate if it's raised by an inch and lowered half an inch or so with the billies/sti springs it shouldn't have much impact on geometry at all. If you are planning on raising it more you might want to look into the full delift.

I'd be tempted to sell the billies/pinks though and replace them with outback struts/heavy duty springs, though it will still not match the ride quality of the billies.

Yeah that's my thoughts
there's no majorly different parts/ spacers between a stock Lib and the TB STi version which is an inch lower.
So effectively lengthening the struts back to original spec should be fine.

Really just thinking out loud.

If i started putting in crossmember spacers, etc I'd need new knuckle, etc.

Problem with stock outback struts are they;re too soft for HD springs and the springs "bounce" without enough damping.
Same issue with my forester when i put in Pedders HD springs on stock rated struts. The dampers weren't hard enough to control the spring, resulting in bouncy handling.

So the same here. I have enough articluation for the situation already, and i have the spring rates to take the loads i want, and i have the damping to control the spring.

If i went with OBK gear it's probably gonna run $2K worth of new struts and springs, which i can't justify dumping into the car for little benefit

#9 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Very true

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think you will be fine. If you were lowering it further, you might run into issues, but to lower it using springs and then lift it by the same amount back up with lift blocks, will translate to stock standard suspension geometry. A cheap way to maintain ride height while making it stiffer.

Although it probably would have been cheaper to buy the correct standard height stiffer springs from somewhere like lovells in the first place. But this will acheive the same objective.

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#11 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Outback specific coil overs?
Or do Liberty/Legacy spec BC's etc have room to raise them?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#12 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

There is a kit I think Pedders do that puts a threaded section over the strut insert to give variable height adjustment as well - best bet is to actually have a chat to a suspension place.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#13 Forester 2.5i S

Forester 2.5i S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

I had a 1 inch lift kit from Subtle USA and had no issues on a RS Impreza Sedan
Jason & Tanya

MY15 Subaru Forester 2.5i S - Crystal White Pearl , CVT
MY12 Subaru XV 2.0i L - Obsidian Black Pearl , CVT

#14 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Although it probably would have been cheaper to buy the correct standard height stiffer springs from somewhere like lovells in the first place. But this will acheive the same objective.

Not really,

The stock billies were getting some KM's on them and a little soft in the rear springs, when priorities were a street car 2 years ago
So the TB STi gear with 1/2 the km's on them only cost me about $250 after selling the stock gear off.
Now priorities are different, $1000 for wheels/ tyres and suspension mods to keep it handling and gripping aswell as getting some sensible height back into it isn;t a bad deal.
plus the 18's and good tyres that are on it now will get donated to the wife's Gen3 RX which is due for rubber anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users