B4 Mcintosh sub & amp questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi all, 

i'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a problem I'm having with my Mcintosh.

Firstly, I'm a retard when it comes to stereos so be gentle and speak basic english if you have anything to contribute.

My sub is not working like it used to. I can feel movement but it's nowhere near the level of sound output it used to have.

One night in the dark whilst changing a bulb in my boot light I accidently plugged the wire that goes from the amp to the sub into the power supply to the boot light. I know I know.... shuddup!

Stupid plugs are the same size and located right next to each other, thanks Subaru!

The stereo stopped working for a day or so then just fired up again by itself....and then bass from the sub was virtually nonexistent.

As I said, there is some output from the sub but it is minimal.

I've checked the internal fuse in the amp and it's ok.

Questions...

Is there some sort of fusible link or something of the sort that could be causing this loss of bass? 

Is the part of my amp that amplifies for the subwoooofa rooted?

Could it be the speaker wires to sub from the amp are melted (but still sending a small signal) which could be decreasing output?

Go!

#2 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Bossintosh

i hope this answers your question  ^_^

#3 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Amps fuct.

Just waiting for someone (a mate) to tell me what I already know/suspect.

There must be 200 dozen billion of these amps sitting in sheds around the country collecting dust and mice shit.. 

Someone (a mate) hook a brother up! 

GIMMEEE BASSSSSSSSSSSSS!

#4 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

did you try hitting it with a hammer?

#5 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

You could have blown the sub.

There is nothing on the amp I am aware of for fuses (unless they are on the inside)

I would check the wiring as well.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#6 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

did you try hitting it with a hammer?

Pffffft !

Of course I did.

#7 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

Josh, have tried the sub with a different amp and the amp with a different sub to triangulate the damage?

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

I'd say you have fried either the sub or the sub channel on the amp. The low resistance of the light will not have done nice things to the amp, and the 12V applied to the sub when the boot is open will not have done good things to the sub (although the subs are pretty resiliant, and current flow would not have been huge, so it may be ok, you will have just shortened its life a little)

Unlikely to have melted wiring, but check it anyways - take the seat out and check the terminals.

Jump on IM and have a look through the car stereo listings and you will find them. They are a fairly common thing over there, and fairly cheap too - probably 150 bucks landed, which is better than paying for aftermarket gear.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks fellas.

I'm now pretty sure the sub is fine. It was disconnected at the time of "the incident"

I ran some new wires to the sub yesterday and no joy so it seems the wires are ok too.

Ash, I did find a fuse inside the amp which is soldered into the circuit board. It was intact which means the damage is beyond my capabilities. 

Tim, no I haven't tried a different amp yet but I guess that's my only option now if I want bass.

Allpaw4, thanks & yes I would rather keep the Mcamp. I'll see if Ichben has any.

As I mentioned in my first post, I know jackshit about subs & amps.  I'll try to track down a Mcintosh amp for ease of installation. 

If i can't get one, what type of amp do I need? Nothing fancy is needed.... basic or even cheap and nasty will suffice. 

What type should I look for? 

#10 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

I've got a Mac amp you can have for 50 posted. Buuuut I don't get back from japan for two weeks

#11 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've got a Mac amp you can have for 50 posted. Buuuut I don't get back from japan for two weeks

I'll take you up on that brother!

SOLD!

Flick me a PM when you get back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users