#1 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I like cheese burgers !

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi Guys I have seen like 4 WRX over the past weekend and 2 of the owners advised me that i can get the keypad installed for free from Subaru. Reason they said that is i asked and always want it as a security measure despite all the horror stories about them not being able to start their car and that. So i have two questions for you gurus today. 1 - Is it really free to install? You just need to bring it to a Subaru service center? 2 - Is the really that bad to have and use? Thanks guys

Posted Image

For all Your Performance Work and Needs.

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

1 - Is it really free to install? You just need to bring it to a Subaru service center?
2 - Is the really that bad to have and use?

1. Nothing (especially from Subaru) is ever free. I have no idea why anyone would even suggest that.

2. Yes.

Just spend a bit of bucks on a decent alarm system and tell your insurance company. I think those wrx boys might have been tugging your dangly bit.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Its not the key pad thats the problem.... its the actual brant alarm system. You can run a better Alarm system and still have the keypad with no issues. Others have done it. and I'm guessing that all you'll get from Subaru is the keypad in a box, not hooked up to anything.

Just Married

#4 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Sorry Jeff, I need to clarify stuff here, as I have been through this, and really close mates with the guy that installed them for Subaru.. It's not the actual Brant system itself (the main unit), the alarm is made up of 2 seperate alarm systems, the main unit (siren / doors / ignition etc) and the keypad unit (keypad / fuel / ignition / starter) The problem is almost never with the main control unit, it is always the keypad module, the actual physical keypad itself is fine, but the unit it connects to is what shats itself. the soldering and PCB is badly built and the extra current flow burns out the solder points, a quick re-solder can fix this unless the relay inside is blown cause of it. So nope.. the main unit itself is never an issue, it's the Keypad unit. www.securityinmotion.com.au are the people you want.. they know the units back to front, and can help you over the phone if need be.. ask for Leon, or James.. as they both installed the units for subaru at the docks when they came in, for Brant.

#5 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

I agree with Brendan. The only issue I have ever had in the 2+ years with the brant is that some of the solder had corroded causing the car the shut off while driving. Also helps if you have the master code :yahoo:

#6 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

I found this link that suggest its a freebie but dont no if it is still ongoing?

http://www.rexnet.co...?showtopic=4342

Posted Image

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

I got the master code too :) I can borrow my car back off Will.. LOL

#8 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

from Feedback Subaru <Feedback.Subaru@subaru.com.au> to @gmail.com date Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM subject RE: Subaru web site enquiry - Contact Us Dear Mr, Thank you for your recent enquiry to Feedback at Subaru. There was a programme where Subaru Australia were offering a free Keypad upgrade to all MY99 to MY02 Subaru Impreza WRX This commenced on 20th February and has since expired. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact myself on 1800 22 66 43. Kind Regards, Jayde Laing | Customer Relations Representative Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited Level 4, 4 Burbank Place | Baulkham Hills | NSW 2153 p 1800 22 66 43 f 02 9828 9284 AWWWWWWWW Guess ill Viper it if i do pick it up on satty..

Posted Image

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#9 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

Its only the 17th? :P
TSM

#10 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

No probs Brendan. I've never had a problem with my Brant alarm so I was just going off what I'd read about it. the only time it when silly was when the battery was flat, but i have my master code aswell. Haven't had to get the module upgrade yet either, so i must have gotten a half decent one

Just Married

#11 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

No probs Jeff, They started using new modules at the end of 02 to 03, they still had issues, but not as prone to failure as the 01-02 one way to tell is, the early model unit when opened has a blue backup battery, and the newer unit has a purple backup battery.. thery started using phillips backup batteries in the later, as they had issues with the batteries aswell..

#12 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

The only problem I've ever encountered is the flattening of the battery if the the car isn't started up, that was with the factory fitted keypad alarm in the STi. Pain in the ass when you first try to learn how to key it in and start the engine, set it off 3 times before I got it right, at around 11pm, my neighbours loved me. But really the pro's greatly outweight the cons, and that applies to most alarm systems, except the Porsche thumb print key pad, guy in Sydney got his thumb cut off when his 911 was stolen. Oh and Paul, I'm guessing it was February 20th last year, as the Rexnet thread would be old. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#13 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

i second with Brendan the keypad unit oin the right hand side is what is shit, But to clarify no matter how much money you spend no alarm will protect your car, alarms are only deterants. that is it, it wont stop a profesional who wants your car....
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#14 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

But to clarify no matter how much money you spend no alarm will protect your car, alarms are only deterants. that is it, it wont stop a profesional who wants your car....

Ergo the thumb amputation. Always better to park in safe, visible areas, and keep it garaged, and keep the keys hidden in your house somewhere if you don't drive to work.

Nick

#15 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

Ergo the thumb amputation. Always better to park in safe, visible areas, and keep it garaged, and keep the keys hidden in your house somewhere if you don't drive to work.

Nick

Nick i get what u are saying, but most people dont give 2 shits about an alarm going of. or even if there is a tow truck towing the car no one looks, no matter how visable it is...like i said if the want it they will take it...
Posted Image

#16 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

Yeah it was back in 2003 or 2004 so well and truly over now.

Posted Image

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#17 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Nick i get what u are saying, but most people dont give 2 shits about an alarm going of. or even if there is a tow truck towing the car no one looks, no matter how visable it is...like i said if the want it they will take it...

Actually now you mention it Jovan, there's many a car I've walked past in the city while it's been towed or the alarms off, and everyone was just business as usual, sort of scary really, and that's a crowded street right in the centre.

Nick

#18 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

Actually now you mention it Jovan, there's many a car I've walked past in the city while it's been towed or the alarms off, and everyone was just business as usual, sort of scary really, and that's a crowded street right in the centre.

Nick

It is scary but thats how it is...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users