5 replies to this topic

#1 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi All

Just looking at clutch upgrade options right now and heard lots of good things about Jim Berry clutches. Phoned and they said that they basically rebuild my existing pressure plate for just shy of $1k to handle either 2900 or 3200 lbs clamp (for my application).

How is this different to buying a complete, new clutch kit (with the same specs) from an Exedy distributor? They seem readily available for a fair bit less than what Jim Berry was talking.

I'm not cost driven here - I want to make sure I have a quality clutch to suit my application, but I'm just not sure if I will end up with essentially the same product from Jim Berry at an (unnecessary) additional cost?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks

Josh

#2 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Jim modifies the pressure plate to give you extra clamping force without the pedal effort,
he then either re-skins your existing friction plate or another one with much higher quality (and i believe extra thickness) friction material.

New bearings, etc
He'll also match/ balance and machine your flywheel if you want.

I have a JB clutch in my H6
cost me $1100 and he sent the complete kit down marked and ready to bolt in by my mechanic.
All I had to do was send my old junk back to him.

Better feel than any 6speed I'd driven
full warranty against defects and the guarantee that he will pay your mechanic the cost of removal and re-fit if there is an issue with his gear

#3 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I had a Jim Berry clutch in the RX when I went the single mass flywheel conversion. Cost me $450 in parts from Jim including an up-rated clutch as opposed to $1600 from Subaru for a replacement DMF.

Can't speak highly enough of the guy. An excellent product that felt great to drive with.

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Sounds like a great thing. Be wary of up-rating it though. Much cheaper to replace clutches than it is diffs and driveshafts. My thoughts would be keep the clutch as the weak point.

I have heard good things about the Jim Berry clutches.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks folks - that's exactly the sort of info I was after.

It looks like peddle feel and clamping force are the major benefits of the Jim Berry clutch, plus the guarantee and the fact he just a good bloke!

Will look into this a little further before making a decision.

Thanks again!

#6 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

I went a Jim Berry one. Lasted a lot longer than Exedy clutches and no where near the slippage.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users