• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

So over the last two weeks I've had a periodic CEL come on, and late last week I finally got around to getting it in for a service. 

I went down with a list of things that I wanted looked at/thought needed attention. One of those being the O2 sensor. 

Reason for the CEL (as I found out from a mate who is a mechanic and offered to scan the code) was the O2 sensor. When I picked it up after the service I was told by the mechanic that it was just wasn't quite sealed, therefore giving a false reading and causing the CEL. 

For the first half a day after the service my car ran like a dream. Then later that evening the pesky CEL returned along with a spongey accelerator at times. 

Anyway, I got the car back in to them today and asked them to have another look at the O2 sensor (knowing that it was time for a new one/ones). I was expecting it to be around the 200 mark for the O2 sensor in the Cat as from what i've heard they are the faulty ones. When I gave them a call to see if the car was ready I was told that I would be looking at $500ea for Subaru OEM sensors!

Just wanted peoples opinion on what after market O2 sensors are like (e.g. Bosch) or whether I should get OEM ones?

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Get Bosch Ones.
They come as direct fitment with correct length leads and correct plugs.

go to www.efi.com.au and find your nearest local store.

#3 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

get genuine ones from subarugenuineparts.com for my 07 xt it was $147us for the front and $124us for the rear plus postage

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#4 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

has anyone had bad experiences with aftermarket ones? or is it just one of those things?

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#5 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Bosch build some of the OEM sensors anyway.

I had a couple of dodgy el cheapo ones, but they were replaced/ upgraded to Bosch ones for only the difference in cost

#6 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:05 AM

I used el cheapo sensors before, either arrive with different amount of wires (3 instead of 4 etc) or wires too short.

+1 Subaugenuineparts.com

#7 BG11XV

BG11XV

Brian Gard (BG11XV)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:driving, fishing, photography, rallies, historic racing, cricket, downhill mtb, bbqs,

car mods, electrical work, diy mechanical work

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

has anyone used universal front 02 sensors and just splices the wold wires to the ones on the new sensor ?

PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

#8 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Wouldn't suggest it, get either oem or oem type with the proper plug 

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Have done that multiple times for mates and they always go bad in no time at all even the bosch ones... I think the wiring needs to be Perfect as even the slightest resistance Difference throws it off.
But on my car I got a genuine one and it's been fine for 4 years
Just get it from the us as suggested
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Have been putting off getting these as I don't want to get the wrong ones and then have to go through the hassle of sending them back, or reselling. Anyone with a gen3 that has purchased the sensors from Subarugenuineparts.com able to tell me the exact ones to buy? 

Thanks

#11 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

go to www.efi.com.au and find your nearest local store.

^^
They will give you the part #'s

Also check your car to see if it has one or two sensors

My gen3 2.5 only has one in the front of the cat, some have two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users