4 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hi, Just to share a situation I have right now, not too long back I was having trouble with one of the Liberty's electrics, as in the battery was flat, first time I replaced the battery, second time (about a week later) I was like !wtf! and called the pretty friendly RACQ guy and got him to check it out in my garage with the multi-meter, we determined through process of elimination that it was the Head Unit/Stereo at fault, and obvious solution was to remove the fuse so the battery wouldn't be sapped. Now when the fuse is in my HU unit is 'glowing', I'm buying a new Head Unit today, just a Sony or Pioneer entry level, not real big on 'ma in-ride tunez'. And next week sometime I'll take it to the Auto Elec around the corner to get the Unit installed (yeah I'm that slack) and also to check out the problem and fix it Just thought, seen's as there's guys on here who I believe are Auto Elecs (Jovan, I'm looking in your direction), that I might ask if any one has seen this problem before, either in their Soobie or through their workshop, just to get a jump on the problem when I take it to the Auto Elec if he can't figure it. I have removed all the console and dash to pull the Unit out a bit and check the wiring behind but it was all plugged in and what not. And when the fuse is on the Stereo works like normal except for the glowing when car is off entirely. Is it most likely wiring on the Unit, or some separate problem? The whole system is Clarion if that helps. Thanks if you can add anything. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#2 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

I have seen radios drain over a week or a few days but that is mainly when the car sits there for the whole time no being drive. ive got a similar issue with mine but its the capacitor in the boot is stffed and drains it in a day or over night. the only thing i can think of to check the wiring is the main memory wire how many amps is drawing, coz thats the only live wire on the car when the car is off... Nik do you have any amps or anything like that, also that could be wired wrong and its on after u turn the stereo off. just a thought....
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#3 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

I have seen radios drain over a week or a few days but that is mainly when the car sits there for the whole time no being drive. ive got a similar issue with mine but its the capacitor in the boot is stffed and drains it in a day or over night.

the only thing i can think of to check the wiring is the main memory wire how many amps is drawing, coz thats the only live wire on the car when the car is off...

Nik do you have any amps or anything like that, also that could be wired wrong and its on after u turn the stereo off. just a thought....

Nah I've got the factory Clarion 6-speaker system, with the factory unit, no amps, no subs, that's why I'm so amazed at what's happened, just out of the blue by the looks of it. Can't remember the amount of amps we measured drawing through the system when the car was completely off, but I was told it would easily flatten the battery overnight. I'll make sure the Elec up here checks all the wires including the main memory, I know my sis had this problem with her STi and her alarm system, I had to babysit it and start it up every second day if she was overseas or interstate, but that was an alarm system and doesn't just choose to drain all of a sudden. The stereo was pushed pretty hard on a trip back from the property with some friends, can something be blown that way, if it's turned up too loud for say a 2hour journey? I would've thought so, but it didn't show signs of damage then, nor did the high level output affect any other electrics, eg. dipping lights etc like you hear happens with badly wired amps and woofers.

Thanks for the quick reply though Jovan, knew you'd be able to add something. Hopefully I'll purchase or at least narrow down the sort of Source Unit I want today and have this problem fixed soon. Sick of putting in the fuse every time I want a journey with sound, and then removing it when I get there. By the way, approx how much would a simple fix like this cost through an Auto Elec? I'm thinking maybe $200 for the install and checking/fixing of wires. Might lodge a claim with the Parental Financial Service if it all gets too exxy.

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#4 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

If you've got the volume cranked too loud for too long and the unit is cheap, then sure you could either blow the amplifier through overheating, or the speaker. Generally if the amp blew you'd get horrible sound quality or no sound at all, it'd be odd if it just decided to glow all the time instead.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#5 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

well i usually install a head deck for about $99 and maybe another $33 to check the wiring and have a look at it all.... i doubt if u had it too loud that it would cause it to drain ive never seen or heard about that, maybe damage from someone kicking it or doing something to it can cause it to stay on or power something up inside. or could be just the radio its self shat its self... My cap is controlled by electronic On/Off via current drop, ive had no issues with it in my last car, but ever since the sub moved in the last car from the crash and ive put it into the B4, it discharges and recharges when ever it wants to which it shouldnt do that and that flatens my battery, but im ripping it out on wednesday on my day off....so be gone with the pain in the arse off that problem... i hope its a quick fix for you Nick but dont get ripped off by paying $200 most it should be around $140ish depends how much and hour they charge...
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users