• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Korune

Korune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right section, but I need some advice on chips vs an aftermarket Ecu in my rs liberty.

I have a good opportunity to get a power FC Ecu fairly cheap, but I'm not sure I really need it.

The setup/planned mods is:

Sti motor
Exhaust (full system, 3" dump/mid to 2.5 diff back)
Cai
Possibly up boost from stock 10psi or whatever it is to 14psi.

I'm not trying to make it insane, just want a fun car with a bit of go. If I could pull 140atw I would be very happy. If I get more then sweet, but I'm not chasing big numbers. (Yet)

libbanner.jpg

#2 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

What STI motor? staying reasonably plug and play pre MY01? or going a loom splice with a newer motor and ecu?

Lots of variables if newer motor id say a custom tune of the stock ecu on a dyno

If pre MY01 id say only power fc or equivalent unless you want to shell out for a reasonable stand alone motec, haltech etc

Thats the extent of my knowledge

someone correct me if im horribly wrong on any of that

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

You'll find on RSLib club most people run an VOS chipped ecu, or an STI ecu. If you can get a decent priced power fc it'd be hard to go past.

Only version 1 and 2 wrx engines would be plug and play. The rest you need to use the original rs manifold unless you changing the whole wiring loom.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Anything 99 onward wont be worth the hassle. Stick to 98 and before for  motors, If its the Power Fc im thinking of it was ~$500 with the hand controller. If so go this option that way any future mods can be easily catered for. 

#5 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

But also saw a Vos chiped ecu on facebook for $150 which also isnt a bad price, just make sure you get the right chip to suit your turbo. It will either be a 6psi chip for turbos like vf8 and vf12 and 9 psi if your using a td05

#6 Korune

Korune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Anything 99 onward wont be worth the hassle. Stick to 98 and before for motors, If its the Power Fc im thinking of it was ~$500 with the hand controller. If so go this option that way any future mods can be easily catered for.

Ok should have probably clarified the sti motor is already installed. That was done by the previous owner, but it's running a stock tune.

Yeah it's 500 with the controller. That's why I'm so tempted by it.

libbanner.jpg

#7 DROSS

DROSS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Ok should have probably clarified the sti motor is already installed. That was done by the previous owner, but it's running a stock tune.

Yeah it's 500 with the controller. That's why I'm so tempted by it.

If this is Nethaniel's old wagon we're talking about, its not an sti motor. From memory it was a legacy rs block. I believe he had a v2 sti chipped ecu running it. Im not sure what ecu he sold with the car though. Getting another sti ecu to run it would probably be the go, preferably the jap ones as they have a bit more of an aggressive tune.

Also depending on what parts he sold the car with, its not going to take much to make 140kw.

#8 Korune

Korune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

If this is Nethaniel's old wagon we're talking about, its not an sti motor. From memory it was a legacy rs block. I believe he had a v2 sti chipped ecu running it. Im not sure what ecu he sold with the car though. Getting another sti ecu to run it would probably be the go, preferably the jap ones as they have a bit more of an aggressive tune.
Also depending on what parts he sold the car with, its not going to take much to make 140kw.

Nah it's not Nethaniel's car. Funny you should say that though. I was the guy he sold it to but I sold it a week later for a $1500 profit (long story) and the ended up buying another one haha.

libbanner.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users