16 replies to this topic

#1 blake_

blake_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hey guys,

My names Blake as you can probly see. A few of you may know me, or might of even seen me at last years HVC which ill hopefully be attending again this year, Thought id do up a build thread of my car/cars and a bit of a story of how i came across the suby bug.

Anyway i started off as an L plater with my first car being a 1992 nissan pulsar i got for 200 bucks. It needed a bit of work and rego. once that was sorted i started to look into them a bit and what i could do to it, About a week later one of my dads mates was selling another one really cheap, Was a bit better than mine, Had bigger motor (sr20) and lower kms, Colour matched bumpers etc. So i bought it and put my other one up for sale. Few weeks went by and i had been getting some prices on lowered springs, Mag wheels, sound systems, All the p plater stuff lol. Me not knowing much mechanically at the time, it started to all add up. My dad had mentioned to me about just buying a car already "done up"  and saving the hassle and cost of getting it done to my car. The very next day drove around the corner and seen it for sale. Was a 94 impreza lx sedan. Had wrx front bar, Lowered springs, A pretty cool respray, Wrx 17's powdercoated black, A diffback exhaust with cannon, An awesome sound system and some fully sick neons. I fell in love, All that was pre cool in 2008 lol.

After a test drive, Some negotiation and a loan off dad it was mine. 
Attached File  31052009501.jpg   120.87KB   10 downloads

Attached File  31052009502.jpg   173.68KB   10 downloads

Fast forward a few months, I had my p's had sold my other cars and paid of my dad. Id started the p plater stuff (mainys and maccas runs lol) was all pretty cool for a while, Started to research a bit and found out all about my car and how rx's/wrx's were different. I eventually got over it and full insurance was killing me. so i changed it to third party and  put it up for sale only do discover an unfortunate event was about to occur, The next week after a big day at work experience, Over tired and inexperienced, I manage to crash into a 4x4 at an intersection. obviously my car came off second best. Was shattered and left with a fine for not giving way a broken car and nothing to show for it.

Attached File  09032010593.jpg   154.51KB   10 downloads 

Attached File  12032010596.jpg   201.67KB   10 downloads

Anyway no use crying over spilt milk. Thought id try and salvage what i had buy looking for a wrx or rx that was in a prang and i could use some of what i had to make one good one.
Ended up finding an 96 rx in newcastle for 1500 bucks and came with a pink slip, After winning the bid on ebay and contacting the car yard we made the trip to pick it up and brang it home. 

Wasnt much but had potential. 

Attached File  the subaru.bmp   553.76KB   9 downloads

Ended up putting my wheels and suspension in it and the stereo i had, And had learnt alot in the process. After saving up for a while cleaned it up with a bit of repair and paint, Picked up a wrx bonnet from a wrecker and installed some borla replica uel headers and a diffback with a xforce twin tip muffler 

this was the end result 
Attached File  photo0071.jpg   107.58KB   11 downloads

Attached File  photo0073.jpg   110.51KB   11 downloads

Fast forward a bit more i was on my greens, Was loving my car and having a bit of fun with it, Even when the cv decided to give way in the mud 
Attached File  19112010968.jpg   219.77KB   10 downloads

Luckily i had become good mates with matty_lib and meady fellow members on here and matt had a spare. Got it towed to his house and after a long night with the wrong tools, And a quick morning with the right ones, Learned how to change a cv :) and was back into the p plate life. Which didnt take long to aquire too many demerit points, Had a letter of suspension and decided the plan was to sell the car and downgrade. About a month before getting my license back a local l plater had showed some interest and inspected the car. With a bit of negotiation and me being desperate to sell he scored it for 4 grand and i waved goodbye. 

My cousin had a charade and i figured they were slow and shitty enough to stay out of trouble so i bought one off a young girl that was going overseas, Her dad drove it up from sydney and it was pretty clean so i grabbed it. My plan of staying out of trouble didnt last long as it was a 1.5l and was actually quicker than my rx lol. couldnt handle it being stock so, An exhaust, Pod filter for inductions, Some ryobi coilovers and a monster taco and shift light for lel's were applied to the little beast. It handled like a go kart and i didnt really care about it so thrashed it for a year and a half, had lost some more demerit points and gone through a motor due to flood waters. It now owed me money rego was coming up and i was starting to grow up so it was time to go. Sold it cheap and a kid blew it up within a few weeks i heard ha. 

Fast forward again and im a few months off my blacks with a point left on my license, Was riding a motobike around. After seeing Meadys gen 2, And Matt with his rs, I knew i wanted another suby. Wasnt far off my blacks so i thought id look at some wrx's, Always had a thing for the classic shape so a gc8 was the plan, but after seeing every 2nd person doing gc8s  and a few of my mates having wagons, The wagon bug bit me. I ended up applying for a loan and got approved, I now had a budget of 8k and knew what i was looking for, Wasnt going to rush into it, Still had a while before i could drive it and wanted to get the right one. 
Found a few out of my price range but one in particular cought my eye, Was a blue 99 with low ks for 10kono. Thought id go look at it as it looked clean as in photo. Made the trip to sydney with my dad and matt tagged along, On inspection was very dissapointed. The owner wasnt very talkative, And the car was pretty crap. Paint was faded, Had broken clips, Freyed drive belts, Wire protruding from rear tyres. Was the complete opposite of what i expected from photos, his excuse was "it gets driven every day" lol. I offered him 5k which was denied and we left. That had put me off for a while so i stopped looking for a bit. 
Then i received a phone call from my uncle about a 98 hatch that was about an hour away and had a bit of work done for 6k. A few txts and a phone call was exchanged. The owner had described the car as a silver wrx hatchback, It had been worked on by MRT, Had a turbo back exhaust, A bigger top mount, Blow off valve, Bigger white line sway bars and strut braces, Sti turbo and injectors. The next day drove up to view the car and loved it as soon as i seen it. On inspection found the gaurd had a bit of damage and had been repaired, It didnt have the sti turbo or injectors and didnt have much rego. Took it for a drive and it didnt miss a beat. Everything worked and it was only body work that could be picked. The guy wouldnt budge on the price when we tried to negotiate so i went home and thought about it, Didnt take long til i decided i wanted it and it was still a pretty good price for what it was.
Rang him back and exchanged some money and paper work the next day. 

I now owned my first wrx :) 
Attached File  IMAG0270.jpg   67.68KB   13 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0275.jpg   92.81KB   12 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0008.jpg   70.66KB   11 downloads

I couldnt help myself and couldnt wait till i got my blacks to drive it. I live in a small town and just waited til night time and took it around the block, I absolutely loved it, Shit myself, But i loved it haha.

Fast forward again and i finally got my blacks. Matt drove me there so i could drive it home lol such confidence, Started researching and looking at things i could do, Came across a few things that needed fixing like a dodgey gas tap made into a boost controller, was running 7psi at the time so i got myself a Turbosmart boost T and tidied it up, Wound it up to 10psi got used to that and Wound it up again currently at 14 and pre happy with it.. For now ha.  Then one day driving home a swaybar mount broke and nearly sent me off the road, Luckily i was driving slow that day, Quicky sourced one off a mate and installed it, While under the car found that a door stop was currently holding the steering collumn in the fire wall instead of the grommet :/ So some dodgey brother had obviously had it out and couldnt get it back in. Spent that night fixing that, Then that was it for a while.  

Had been looking at wheels and suspension, when one of my mates was putting his rex back to stock. Perfect solution was to swap his wheels and bc br coilovers, For my lowered springs and stock rex wheels and a bit of cash 

Then it sat like this for a while

Attached File  IMAG0127.jpg   120.01KB   11 downloads

Attached File  20130725_172203.jpg   161.18KB   11 downloads

Got bored and painted the brakes orange, And got some new rotors and pads in the process 
Attached File  20130703_165138.jpg   132.87KB   11 downloads

Now at this stage Hvc had come around :) which we were all looking forward to. Such an awesome weekend
Attached File  1044545_613099292033710_458479420_n.jpeg   103.91KB   12 downloads

Attached File  1016150_613097928700513_794293420_n.jpeg   68.67KB   11 downloads

At the same time my clutch had started to slip. So i got myself an exceedy pro kit clutch suggested by Cam. Cheers for that.
Put that in, Again with the help of Matt and Brad, Cheers boys. 
Got some paint fixed and a few bits and peices, And aquired a better autometer pro comp boost gauge.Attached File  20140327_101802.jpg   82.32KB   13 downloads 

Not long ago Cam, Mark and Lachy came up for a cruise in port macuarie and a few pics on the mountain.
Thanks again for the mad pics although it did come to a bit of an unfortunate end to Cams foz, At least the boys were okay :)
Attached File  IMG_66800447410371.jpeg   43.07KB   12 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0270.jpg   67.68KB   13 downloads

I recently got my hands on some nice 18s that were pretty cheap. got some tyres for em and painted the letters for something different. I like it.

Attached File  20140318_184227.jpg   120.23KB   13 downloads

Yesterday my sti tailights turned up and thats how it sits today 
Attached File  20140407_152240.jpg   204.49KB   10 downloads

So just a quick summary
My 98 Wrx hatch.
stock ej20 197xxxkms 
3'' tbe with jasma branded cannon 
Mrt top mount

Gfb blow off valve 
Red sylicone piping 
tdo4l turbo running 14psi with turbo smart boost T
bc br coilovers 
whiteline sway bars front and rear 
whiteline strut braces front and rear 
whiteline Alk 
Brakes upgraded to 4pots with slotted rotors, Standard rear.
Omp deep dish steering wheel 
drift gear knob 
soon to have double din alpine head unit 

Memphis 12'' sub an 500 rms amp for a bit of doof.

Attached File  20131014_135930.jpg   168.86KB   11 downloads

Attached File  20140126_193548.jpg   215.12KB   11 downloads

Future mods:

After 200k service lol 
hopefully bigger turbo maybe vf or a tdo5
fuel pump and rails
more boost 
eventually a tune
monsoon slim weather sheilds and maybe some exterior bits  
Its a fun little car, And i hope you love it as much as i do. I know it was long but hope all enjoyed the read. 

cheers. 

Attached Files

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

Wicked dude!

#3 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Nice bro good to see you with a write up 

Bloody love this car and glad iv'e got to know you and Matt better since getting into the turbo's 

ill be home over Easter so ill be sure to catch up with you then. 

#4 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Cool story Blake.

Such a clean car in person. Always had a soft spot for GF8's.

:D

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#5 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

i like it, i like it a lot!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#6 50 BOI

50 BOI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Cars, PC Hardware and PC gaming :)

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just bought myself one of these with 230xxx k's. Will defs follow your build if you update

#7 blake_

blake_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Nice bro good to see you with a write up 

Bloody love this car and glad iv'e got to know you and Matt better since getting into the turbo's 

ill be home over Easter so ill be sure to catch up with you then. 

yeah same man, no worries lookin forward to it. 

cheer guys ill try and keep it updated as i go, took so long to write ha. been meaning to do it for a while though :) 

#8 Matty_Lib

Matty_Lib

rslyf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

Awesome man! :)

#9 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Good story mate. I like what you've done with it.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#10 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Looks good mate!

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#11 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

Nice, now throw those awful 18's in the bin and put the WRX 17's back on.

OEM+

#12 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Nice, now throw those awful 18's in the bin and put the WRX 17's back on.

+1

Looks so much betterea with the Rex rims ;)

#13 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

I just love photo you took with the broken cv, that was such an awesome day. The towie was cool, that old lady yelling at us and taking photos hahah. Good times had by all brother. Such an awesome car!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

#14 Cracktastic

Cracktastic

Street-Cover & OFIM Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Bewbs

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

really interesting story bro! will deff follow on the up coming updates. B)

WbhSuDb.png

Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.c.../125210776@N07/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MattMFotos

For inquires please email me on: mattmccamley@gmail.com

#15 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

love this car, one of my favourite GF8s getting around! good write up mate, hope to see this and the other boys from ports cars at HVC this year 

#16 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Great read mate.

Car looks tops.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#17 Nager

Nager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Awesome beast dude! My first Rex was a hatch too, love your work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users