The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

No exhaust section is this forum??

Hai all...

I've been thinking that i need to do something with my extractors to:

a ) make them quieter (they currently make a tinging noise like [al told me] apparently an old V8 engine with extractors does)
and
b ) help them move the heat away from the engine better and into the cats to make them work better and more effectively (as mentioned to me by the engineer i took the car to recently)

Up till now i was kinda thinking I'd go with heat-wrap and just do it myself at home... but it's now been mentioned to me several times by several people including the engineer and the exhaust place that i took the car to, that getting them ceramic coated would be a much smarter move, even if it is more expensive (i guess you get what you pay for in the end).

so i put it to you guys,

what's your advice regarding this. Yay or Nay??
does anyone have any experience with heat-wrap or ceramic coating?
and does anyone have any contacts for me because Google is coming up trumps...?

thanks guys,
T

2mmwi1w.jpg

#2 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Cermanic coating or heat wrap will do SFA in helping your car pass the emissions test. Only getting it tuned with the specific goal of passing the test will get it through. I've got the turbo manifold ceramic coated on two of my other cars, the headers on my forester are heat wrapped. If you're going to do anything with them I'd go with the heat wrap first, the headers shouldn't crack in the near future. The header wrap isn't too expensive from VPW, $68 for the 15m x 50mm wrap... you'll probably need a fair bit to do your extractors as they're so long. Soak the wrap in water prior to applying it and wear gloves to reduce the itch. If you go wtih ceramic coating, it will probably cost in the $400 region to get done. I had my last lot done by competition coatings.

#3 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Do both?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#4 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

Cermanic coating or heat wrap will do SFA in helping your car pass the emissions test. Only getting it tuned with the specific goal of passing the test will get it through.

I've got the turbo manifold ceramic coated on two of my other cars, the headers on my forester are heat wrapped. If you're going to do anything with them I'd go with the heat wrap first, the headers shouldn't crack in the near future.

The header wrap isn't too expensive from VPW, $68 for the 15m x 50mm wrap... you'll probably need a fair bit to do your extractors as they're so long. Soak the wrap in water prior to applying it and wear gloves to reduce the itch.

If you go wtih ceramic coating, it will probably cost in the $400 region to get done. I had my last lot done by competition coatings.

i have heard that those competition coatings guys were a bit dodge... were they alright for you??

and i'm not thinking that heat wrapping my extractors will get it to pass emissions... i'm mainly doing it to get rid of some under bonnet temps and to stop the 'ting'ing noise...

so you think heat wrapping is the way to go? does it work well??

and yeh, the primarys are 31inches long... so i'll need a whole bunch of heat-wrap if i'm gonna do it...

you did yours yourself?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#5 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

My ceramic coating was done by Competition Coatings in QLD, haven't had any done by their Sydney branch. The stuff I had done was $240ea for the Extreme coating on two small turbo manifolds... The coating cost more than it cost me to make the manifolds :P I did the header wrap myself on the GT-spec headers my forester run after the first lot of wrapping perished/melted. Have also done some other N/A headers I've made and dump pipes etc. Another tip is to spray the header wrap with heat resistent paint after wrapping. Dont do both, the header wrap will wreck the ceramic coating. Ceramic coating wont help with the sound of the headers at all, heat wrap might dull the sound a little.

#6 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

Remember where the manifolds are!! The wrap will absorb water and rust the manifold. The heat will also cause pitting in the metal. Seen it numerous times on motorcycle engines. For temperature retention I'd suggest the ceramic coat. The noise is just something you'll have to live with.
TSM

#7 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Remember where the manifolds are!!

The wrap will absorb water and rust the manifold. The heat will also cause pitting in the metal. Seen it numerous times on motorcycle engines.

For temperature retention I'd suggest the ceramic coat. The noise is just something you'll have to live with.

yeh true, i guess unlike a v8 or inline 4 the headers are actually hanging off the bottom of the engine and come in contact with water and stuff all the time...

i might look into this ceramic coating thing...

and i'll just deal with the noise... it's not that bad...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#8 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

You'll probably find the noise will disappear as the carbon builds up. Doesn't really matter what engine config you have, water still gets splashed up into the engine bay. Unless you live in Victoria. Water, whats that???
TSM

#9 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

i've heat wrapped my headers and up-pipe to the turbo. main reason being my heatshield were going to rattle so i got rid of them. used nearly a full roll of heat wrap and a set of stainless steel cable ties (hi temp rated)

MY07 GT spec B

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Did you get any info about the longevity of the pipes with the wrap in regards to cracking etc? I too would like to get rid of the heat shields.

OEM+

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Cast iron should be pretty good. Tristans manifolds are mild steel tube. Biiiiiig difference.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users