No replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

Hey guys. I recently installed a second hand Turbosmart type 3 plumb back BOV on my 98 wrx engine, which doesn't have a flange assembly and instead has a 38 mm (or close to) outlet with a raised lip on the intercooler. The bov didn't come with any fittings specific to my car (or anything at all). I didn't take any photos, but the process I used is simple and I think it might be helpful for anyone looking to do the same thing. On the engine I did not have a factory bov, it was blanked off. But even if you have one it remains the same. Off the intercooler on the right hand side of the throttle body is where the pressurised air will vent back to the intake, it does this through the bov, to a return pipe located below the takeoff for the intercooler near where the intake manifold bolts to the head and routes back across the engine to the intake pipe before the turbo. In order for the bov to open it requires a vacuum/pressurised line; Depending on throttle position. I used the nipple off the intake manifold directly below the ignition coil on the right. (I believe this is where the stock one comes from, however mine had a bolt in it. To attach the bov correctly I needed an adaptor to go from the 38mm connector to a rubber pipe, 2x 90 degree rubber hoses and 4 hose clamps. I searched eBay and the Turbosmart website for answers, but couldn't find any. So being a plumber, I improvised on something to suit. I used inch and a half (38mm) copper pipe about 70mm long, made sure it was cut square and there was no burrs inside or out (use a fine file) and to stop the hose clamp slipping off I marked a line inside the tube about 15mm in all the way around and carefully with a hole punch, hit it from the inside every 10mm around so there was raised bumps to stop the clamp and hose from coming loose. For the hose, I went to Supercheap and looked for a radiator hose that was 38mm in diameter (on the outside). I found luck with a vn/vp upper radiator hose, but one bend was not 90 degrees, so make sure you find one that is. Mine cost me $20. I used some silicone grease to lube the o-ring inside the bov, slipped on the tube and tightened the grub screws of the bov. I then measured up the radiator hose with the 90, and cut it so the bov lined up at a right angle with the bov outlet/exhaust pipe. Then used boiling water to soften the hose to get it on the bov and intercooler. Make sure you sit your clamps on the pipe after you get one end on, otherwise you'll have trouble getting it off. After that I had to find another 90 bend, but luckily I had one the right size and was long enough. I cut it to length and heated the end in boiling water to go on the bov outlet, clamped it and then popped the other end on. The other end will go on easy, as it is much smaller than the others, to get the clamp done up, I used a long flat blade screw driver through a gap below the intercooler. Make sure it's tight. Then I hooked up the line from the manifold the the tee on the bov, packed up and went for a spin to listen to the sweet 'psssh'. OK. I actually went for a spin with the exit blanked off still (full atmo) to make sure that there was no little pieces of rubber that could go back into the intake. Then I hooked it all up :D (if you want to do the same, make sure your intake is sealed off) Hope this helps you out. Sorry for the lack of pictures and any terminology that isn't understandable or incorrect. I just couldn't find any write ups to help me. If you need an adaptor made up, let me know. Sling me a few $ and pay postage and I'll knock you up one. Brad.

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users