#421 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:50 AM

If you need a spare man, I have just pulled an NA 2l manual dual range box out of my GX. I found it easier to pull the manifold the first time. Just make sure that only 3 of the 4 go back onto the AC bracket. Initially this is your only real choice. It's not that difficult I found to just lift the manifold once the 8 bolts are off, especially considering you'll likely have to remove the intercooler etc to access the bell-housing bolts on the top of the engine.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#422 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:31 AM

Managed to get at it with a wobbly extension once the other three were off and the bracket rotated a little.

Oh - I'm pulling the engine rather than dropping the trans.. as I have an engine crane.  Rocker cover gaskets need doing, too, so I'll knock those off at the same time.

#423 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 12:27 PM

well.. it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work out what went wrong.

Attached File  fork.jpg   141.55KB   0 downloads

Spigot bearing had also crapped itself - for some reason it looks like water was getting in there, as the bearing was very dry and rusty.

Attached File  spigot.jpg   113.94KB   0 downloads

#424 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:04 PM

Good effort there!

My sister recently (last year or so) had a clutch issue, it wasn’t fun to drive, clutch inoperable and a nasty squeaking noise. Our issue was the throw out bearing decided to deform and do weird things.

I can’t remember if we threw a new bearing in there or if we put a clutch kit in. I reckon we would’ve just gone with the new bearing. Spigot was also dead like yours. Maybe that’s the cause...?

Good idea on engine maintenance while it’s out ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#425 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:39 PM

Yep, she's forked! :)

Any noise from the spigot before the fork shat itself?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#426 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:15 PM

well... there was a bit of a squeak in the engine bay.. but I'd put that down to an idler. 

Really thought by the look of that bearing that it'd be making all sorts of noise. The thing came out fully disassembled.

Cam covers all reinstalled with new gaskets, half-moons and rubber washers. I was pleasantly surprised with the cam surfaces. Look like new, even though the donk's done almost 250k now.

#427 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:28 AM

Common thing on those push style boxes. Even on the later model turbo ones. 

I think you can get an aftermarket fork that fixes it. Probably isnt cheap and would be ex USA. Otherwise a brand new oem will probably last another 20 years if you look after it

tIeW8DE.png

#428 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:38 PM

new clutch kit buttoned up.  New release lever/fork.

I'll wrestle with the engine install tomorrow. 

Attached File  unforked.jpg   150.16KB   1 downloadsAttached File  clutch.jpg   188.31KB   1 downloads

#429 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:49 AM

Anyone have an idea about power steering pump bracket compatibility?

My bracket is busted and I don't know what's compatible. Local Subaru wrecker reckons a local turbo variant may fit, but didn't have any around to check.

PN is 22870AA001 or 002. 

A couple of 'where used' parts list give me

- circa 2002-03 USDM Impreza 2.5NA  models.

- JDM 2000-2000 GD S204 -- fat chance of those being around

AUDM B4's (2002-), SF GT Foz, and lots of later Imprezas are mostly 22870AA110.. so maybe that'll work?

#430 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:12 AM

afaik all the pump brackets are the same. EJ blocks are the same externally (for the most part) so they all bolt up to the block the same. Pretty sure they all mount with the same 3 bolt setup on the front too

If you get really stuck i have a D-E pump and bracket that are stuck together with a snapped bolt. Removed it for a GC8 pump setup so was working when i removed it

tIeW8DE.png

#431 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info,

I didn't really understand why there were so many different variants. As you say, the blocks are all the same, pump mounting all seems the same, and there are only two or three different pumps (or just reservoir setup?).

D-E will be the '110 part. I should be able to find one of those at the local pick a part - thanks for the offer, and I may hit you up for it if I have no success there.

#432 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:35 AM

Got a couple spare here in Ararat should you need one Duncan.

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#433 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:44 PM

Only the early brackets are different when the PS pump was the same unit from the EA82 in the XT4 turbo Vortex models. The only thing that changed was the mounting bolt pattern between the pump and the bracket. The later model stuff should all be the same, shape or location of the reservoir are the only physical changes.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#434 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:56 PM

thanks for the tips on the bracket guys. I'll check out the pull a part.  

Engine went back in this evening after work. Usual 40 minutes of fuckery jiggling the thing around to get it to mate to the gearbox.. in some rain, of course!

Another evening should have it buttoned up and running again.

#435 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 07:37 AM

A few evenings passed, any good news?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#436 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 04:50 PM

yeh - all good.

Took Thursday off to finish it up. Just bolted the slightly broken PS pump bracket back on - it holds fine, so I've got some time to sort out a replacement.

I need to go back and put on the clutch lever rubber boot which only came in the mail Friday, and at the moment its only got water in it, so I'll need to change to coolant, but she fired up first go has that oh-so-light new clutch feel.

#437 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

How's this coming along Duncan? Get everything sorted out?

Cheers,
Ben

#438 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 05:45 PM

Well.. good and bad, Ben. Clutch boot and everything else back.

Couple of little hiccups.  I've had a weird intermittent power failure - like someone clicked off the ignition switch momentarily. Everything off, and sometimes with a reset trip and clock (ie: the power to the dash got cut).

Figured I must have missed a ground wire or something when the engine went back in.  Dug around on Sat morning and cleaned up all the engine bay grounds and cleaned and re-plugged the two large connectors near the main fuse/relay box.

I think that's sorted it, I suspect one of those plugs wasn't fully clicked in, as it took a bit of wiggling to get it to seat. No weirdness after two reasonable drives this weekend, so crossed fingers.

More of a concern is the clutch I put in. I cheaped out and went for a standard EJ25 clutch, and its not up to the task. It slips at full boost from about 3k up.

I must have got lucky with my previous exedy clutch which coped just fine.

I'm going to have to buy a stronger clutch and do it all again some time.

Bollocks.

#439 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 07:33 PM

Why not swap the old pressure plate back in? That’s the clamping bit and it should be fine still. The disc is the wear item.

Could be worth swapping the pressure plate back to the old one. I’d pull the box out to do it, no coolant and many less electrical connections to deal with.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#440 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 06:44 AM

Why not swap the old pressure plate back in? That’s the clamping bit and it should be fine still. The disc is the wear item.

Could be worth swapping the pressure plate back to the old one. I’d pull the box out to do it, no coolant and many less electrical connections to deal with.

Cheers

Bennie

yeh - I'd try the old pressure plate &/or clutch if I hadn't chucked it :(.. but I figure hours of my time futzing around with the car is worth a new clutch kit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gen3, outback, twin turbo, swap, sleeper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users