11 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

I have a clinking noise coming from my RH front susp area. I thought it was a CV, but when it got checked, the bloke said the CVs are fine. I got it up on a jack and checked all my rubbers, and they still seem tight.

My first theory is the bearing in the tophat (is that what it's called?) that sits above the shocker and holds the spring in, could be mking noise, as it when there is a weight shift from body roll, but that brings me to theory 2) that the sway bar is slipping side to side in it's rubbers where it mounts to the chassis?

Anyone had experience on this and may be able to help with trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Brad.

*edit: I have WRX suspension installed. Also, 4 pot callipers on front end. I also thought perhaps someone put the wrong brake shoes in?

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

Do the sound happen when you are moving straight? More prominent if you turn the wheel left?

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

It happens when I turn either way, but sound only comes from RHS. Also when I hit the little bump in my drive way, but it's more when I change direction. It's more of a dull clunk too. ry6u9u7e.jpg

I moved the callipers so this metal strip was on the outside, as one side was on the inside and the caliper made noise when braking and was rubbing on rotor. Can anyone confirm whether these should be in or out please?

Thanks.

Brad.

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

Checked your ball joints? Boots busted?

#5 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Yeah checked them. No problems. Everything seems tight and sealed. Can a visual inspection possibly determine the bearings in tophat?

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

Wheel bearing? Is there any feedback?

Cheers,

Nik

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi Nik. I grabbed both wheels and wiggled the shite out of them and no movement or noise.

Random extra trouble shooting question (sorry guys :D) If i grab the steering wheel with the car off, and move it from side to side rapidly (only till I feel it get tight and then back the other way) I hear what may be the noise I'm talking about, which means it could be a tie rod end, or even something in the steering?

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Bilstein Struts? Probably the strut needs re-greasing.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#9 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

It is the b4 bilsteins, yes. OK. I checked the steering when my mate got here and it seems the rhs ram for power steering is making some noise. I just don't know if it's normal

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#10 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think I have a very similar noise coming from my B4, so I will follow this thread as well.

The sound, for me, comes when I am coming to a full stop, like at the lights, but it doesn't happen always. It is either one or two clunks just before the car has completely stopped. 

I got my whole suspension checked out, bushes replaced, and other than a slight leak from my front left shock, everything is perfect, and yet I am still hearing the clunk.

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#11 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Does it happen when you take off too Zac? What about if you tap the brake at low speeds? Reason I ask is when I switched my brake pads, that noise stopped because the pad was moving with the rotor and made a noise under braking. Both shims were in there, but the hole in the pad was slightly bigger than the rod that holds them in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#12 Rallyeee

Rallyeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

Could be the tie rod (the part which joins the tie rod end to the steering rack) as this has a ball joint in it. If they've never been replaced, it's worth getting a pair as they aren't too expensive and it will tighten up the steering a bit even if that wasn't the problem. Don't rule out the CVs, it's very hard to be certain there's no play in them with a basic inspection. Wheel bearings can also be difficult to diagnose, sometimes they will have noticeable slop but make no noise while other times you can't feel any slop but they are noisy.

If it was me, I'd replace the tie rods and ends, if they haven't been done before. If the noise is still there, swap top hats side to side. If the noise stays on the same side, swap driveshafts, swap lower ball joints, etc. If the car is lowered, you could buy a Whiteline roll centre adjustment kit, will improve the handling while also replacing the tie rod end and lower ball joints with new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users