12 replies to this topic

#1 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hey SC, i recently bought an ej20tt for next to nothing but the guy i bought it off had very little knowledge about it. He told me it was a 98 legacy import ej20tt and was different to his 2002 b4 as he bought it for a spare and didn't realise it was different. Could someone tell me what the differences between the ej20r and ej20h are? i looked at the turbo's they are vf13 and vf14, greytop injectors. if someone could shed some light that would be great. and if it is open/closed deck, comp ratio, standard boost and power output that would make me go to bed at night >.<

Thanks, Joe

and yes i have used the search button but couldn't specifics.

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Try google.

#3 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have :/

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Have you tried engine numbers? That's all I can suggest.

Posted Image

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

EJ20H belongs to the standard early GT's 94-96. Open deck block 184kw (MT&AT). I would say it runs about .8 bar on primary and about 1 bar on sequential, (roughly 8-10psi P then 13-14psi S) as most JDM TT motors do.

Distinguishable by the smaller MAF tube, grey injectors (380cc), internal wastegate on the secondary turbo and extra hose group on the solenoid box. Same engine was used with GT-B and RS-B autos (more power than GT with 190kw) but with the extra fruit.

Pretty standard engine. Unsure on how comparable in strength/power to the EJ20G. Can't be that bad. Seen as a bit of a nugget motor as they had the very troublesome first edition of the TT system.

EJ20R is what is found in the GT-B and RS-B's. Open deck still, heads (from memory) are the same as V3 STI just with slightly different cam profiles, have sodium filled exhaust valves. There is some debate about them coming with forged pistons from factory, someone with better knowledge can answer that. These had the full 206kw. Came with VF18/19 turbos, yellow top 440cc injectors, 90mm MAF tube and bigger throttle body.

Both engines should have the same static comp ratio of 8.5:1.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#6 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

So with some mild mods will it come anywhere close to an ej20r? say ej20r turbos with 550cc injectors and a retune?

does anyone have any idea what the standard head gasket thickness was on the ej20h? my engine looks like it was rebuilt at a stage in its life(heads look reconditioned, new oil pump, and 1.6mm 3 layer metal head gasket) im sure i read somewhere on the net that they had crappy HGs?

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

You probably could but the heads just wont be anywhere near as capable as an EJ20R's. You won't be able to do a retune unless you went full aftermarket ECU aswell. I really wouldn't bother mixing and matching TT stuff, it can give you a real bad day. I have been down that path before with a standard GT-B ECU and while it can work, once you start using things like turbos that aren't designed for that particular tune, it gets pretty ugly.

What are you actually doing with the engine? 

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#8 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

http://homepages.ihu...leggymodels.htm

#9 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

You probably could but the heads just wont be anywhere near as capable as an EJ20R's. You won't be able to do a retune unless you went full aftermarket ECU aswell. I really wouldn't bother mixing and matching TT stuff, it can give you a real bad day. I have been down that path before with a standard GT-B ECU and while it can work, once you start using things like turbos that aren't designed for that particular tune, it gets pretty ugly.

What are you actually doing with the engine? 

My mechanic referred me to a microtech ecu as it would be easy to do the conversion and make it tuneable, I was going to convert my 98 lib rx because it melted a piston and I'm sick of n/a motors. Picked up this ej20h with full wiring loom(dash and engine harness) complete with turbos for $200

#10 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

My mechanic referred me to a microtech ecu as it would be easy to do the conversion and make it tuneable, I was going to convert my 98 lib rx because it melted a piston and I'm sick of n/a motors. Picked up this ej20h with full wiring loom(dash and engine harness) complete with turbos for $200

That cheap as, but only if motor is good.

Now do you melt a piston on an N/A  ??

#11 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

That cheap as, but only if motor is good.
Now do you melt a piston on an N/A  ??

The original owner was going to convert his beetle with the ej20h but instead rebuilt the factory motor polished it and sold the ej20h to the guy I bought it off (I had a look at the motor back when the first guy owned it) said it had 80,000kms on it.
When an n/a is rebuilt with higher comp, tuned for 98 and I get a shit batch of fuel and not long after race a gc8 >.< without realising it pinged off it's tits and bye bye piston :(

#12 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Would anyone know how hard it will be to get the ej20h running in a liberty rx? I know the ej20r is slightly easier?

#13 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

The original owner was going to convert his beetle with the ej20h but instead rebuilt the factory motor polished it and sold the ej20h to the guy I bought it off (I had a look at the motor back when the first guy owned it) said it had 80,000kms on it.
When an n/a is rebuilt with higher comp, tuned for 98 and I get a shit batch of fuel and not long after race a gc8 >.< without realising it pinged off it's tits and bye bye piston :(

Yep, that explains it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users