• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 scoobydoosubaru

scoobydoosubaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

So my mum has decided its time to upgrade her car and after steering her towards subarus shes decided on a forester,

Budget would be up to $15,000 and shes looking for something sensible and clean, it will be used for work and a lot of highway driving so low kms are a preference, as well as leather seats for comfort etc.

Here a couple i've found on carsales for her and i'd love some other opinions

http://www.carsales....6/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales....6/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Every bit of feedback on what to look for when buying a second hand forester and all the pros and cons would be greatly appreciatted

Thanks (:

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

I'd definitely go an X or XS over an XT just due to the nature of the task. No need for turbo, unless the best example you find is an XT.

I think if you're looking at a 2006/7 that's good, you may find a base model SH for $15,000 as well. It has a lot more room than the SG, if that is a consideration.

Otherwise research it well, and maybe look to the country for a good example, I know Foresters are very popular in the country and you will often find a mature aged owner who's only used it on highways. Can be worth the 3-4 hr journey into central NSW.

#3 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

She should buy mine. 189kw atw on mild tune. all the performance, handling and aesthetic mods are done for her. Bigger brakes for safety etc. Mainly HWY kms due to previous owner living in Sydney and working in Newcastle and Port Kembla. There's a for sale thread around here somewhere with more details. Help your mum become extra awesome and buy this car   :)

10688390_10152253766305404_6306773548369

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

Haha Aek, didn't know your Foz was up for sale.

Hey OP, did you consider an Impreza wagon? There's a nice Luxury one in the For Sale section, and it's in Central Coast as well. Foresters have a nice higher ride height, but really not much space difference between Wagon and Foz.

#5 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I would be looking at the X not the XT in your case. Mainly because if you don't want/need a turbo Forester then don't get one.

They cost more to run and fuel economy won't be as good as a non turbo model.

#6 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Haha Aek, didn't know your Foz was up for sale.

yeah time for something new i think :)

signature_1_35.jpg

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

yeah time for something new i think :)

more gen 2s?

tIeW8DE.png

#8 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

http://www.carsales....5/?Cr=7&sdmvc=1

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

If you can bargain off the 100K service to be done that looks like a good deal.

Cheers,

Nik

#10 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

http://www.carsales..../?Cr=60&sdmvc=1

this is a smack in the mouth the guy says its "great value" hahahaha, i dont even think it has a moonroof or leather seats he want 24500.

#11 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yeah buts its the "Rare 2.5L Turbo with Manual Transmission"  ;)

signature_1_35.jpg

#12 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

http://www.carsales..../?Cr=60&sdmvc=1

this is a smack in the mouth the guy says its "great value" hahahaha, i dont even think it has a moonroof or leather seats he want 24500.

To his credit I'd put great value on a one owner vehicle with 55,000km and all records, maybe not $24,500, but I'd negotiate.

#13 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

To his credit I'd put great value on a one owner vehicle with 55,000km and all records, maybe not $24,500, but I'd negotiate.

dude this guy is not going to neg down to 18000 gs which is about what i paid for mine with all the features and low kms it only has lower kms than mine 18000 is what i would pay max for that like its not even special beyond its kms.

#14 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Nope, dreaming.

#15 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

dude this guy is not going to neg down to 18000 gs which is about what i paid for mine with all the features and low kms it only has lower kms than mine 18000 is what i would pay max for that like its not even special beyond its kms.

Yeah his price is forked, I'm just saying one owner, and low kms are the 2 best things I'd be looking for in a second hand car, especially a turbo forester, where so many are driven into the ground. But this thread isn't about dreamers. It's about getting this kid hooked up with a new whip for his Mum.

Realistically that guy will come down a few k in a few months, and then would be more negotiable. But you can't use one car sale to set a benchmark for other sales, due to the circumstances surrounding your sale, if you bought your car at a lower price, the seller may have been under financial strain to sell it cheaper etc. This guy is obviously put his price on the higher spectrum of the redbook price and he might not me needing to bring it down at all until a buyer comes along.

But I agree, $24,500 for no leather or sunroof is a bit steep. You could buy Aek's forester and drop a manual box in there for cheaper.

#16 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Yeah his price is forked, I'm just saying one owner, and low kms are the 2 best things I'd be looking for in a second hand car, especially a turbo forester, where so many are driven into the ground. But this thread isn't about dreamers. It's about getting this kid hooked up with a new whip for his Mum.

Realistically that guy will come down a few k in a few months, and then would be more negotiable. But you can't use one car sale to set a benchmark for other sales, due to the circumstances surrounding your sale, if you bought your car at a lower price, the seller may have been under financial strain to sell it cheaper etc. This guy is obviously put his price on the higher spectrum of the redbook price and he might not me needing to bring it down at all until a buyer comes along.

But I agree, $24,500 for no leather or sunroof is a bit steep. You could buy Aek's forester and drop a manual box in there for cheaper.

He will be waiting a long time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users