5 replies to this topic

#1 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hey guys some of u recently noticed i blew my b4 but so after much though im goin to just buy anoth stock b4 motor an start fresh i will put on a eng stand an rebuild how ever i hav a few questions

My main question is i remember reading a thread about 1 turbo being bushings an second is bearing an the thread i read said u can take the internal out of the ball bearing an making the bushing turbo a ball bear aswell but cant seem to find the thread also i was concidering high flowing them can some one enlighten me on the hows where whats an whys etc an costs

Also a side question
While im rebuilding it i wanna spend a lil money to make it go a lil hard
Eg
-Injectors?
-fuel rails
-cams
Etc

Any info will be great thanks

I know ull ask ... i dono if i hav 32/33s or 25/27s havnt looked yet but its an auto so i think 206block .....

Thanks

#2 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

If its an audm auto. 33/32. 206. Rest is beyond me.

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

The turbos you have are the best TT turbos available and you would be wasting money trying to do anything with them. I wouldn't even bother trying to convert the primary to ball bearing centre, the difference would be 3/5 of fk all.

Messing with injectors and cams on your B4 is pissing in the wind. It already has quite high cc injectors as it is out of the box.

If you want good results and more power, the best you will ever be able to do with the stock system is add an in-guard intake, FMIC, full exhausts (2.5" for the dumps is more than ample, moving into 3" at the merge and a good high-flow 200 cell cat) and follow on with a good tune. That's it. Reaching about 180ish (reliable) kw/atw is pretty much the ceiling. 

Some food for thought. i had my old Legacy GTB pretty decked out with mods. It had the EJ20R rebuilt with forged pistons, re-conditioned heads with ARP head studs, 440cc injectors, aftermarket TMIC with bigger silicone turbo outlet hoses, parallel fuel rails with a Sard FPR, B4 VF33/32 turbos with hybrid under-manifold intake and full exhaust end to end including hand made turbo up-pipes.

Used to run about 1 bar on the primary and just over 1.5 sequentially, sometimes got to 2 bar on a good day. Pulled close to 170kw/atw on a dyno, which is just a number but a rough guide. Was bullshit fast on the street but it was the most unreliable car i owned. With a FMIC i probably could have made more gains but i was just polishing a turd.

Obviously the Gen3 has a better revised system but is essentially indifferent.

If your chasing big numbers and power, the B4 isn't for you, straight up. Move on and get a WRX or convert the B4 to a single.

If you dig the luxury of the Gen3 but want the power, a later Liberty GTspecB could do it for you. The 2.5 has plenty of torque and room for mods.

With my vast experience with TT's, to sum it all up, i think TT's are best enjoyed stock with a nice exhaust for some noise and that's it.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

The turbos you have are the best TT turbos available and you would be wasting money trying to do anything with them. I wouldn't even bother trying to convert the primary to ball bearing centre, the difference would be 3/5 of fk all.

Messing with injectors and cams on your B4 is pissing in the wind. It already has quite high cc injectors as it is out of the box.

If your chasing big numbers and power, the B4 isn't for you, straight up. Move on and get a WRX or convert the B4 to a single.

This.

The money it would cost to get cams etc. would be much better spent on a well built engine and a decent tune from someone other than MRT or cubts that ecutek tune.

#5 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

This.

The money it would cost to get cams etc. would be much better spent on a well built engine and a decent tune from someone other than MRT or cubts that ecutek tune.

Yea good engine and good tune (not ecutek or MRT). I can do you one if its an 01-03 B4

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Agree. Don't waste your money rebuilding a TT motor. Spend the money you would use on the rebuild and put a single turbo into it. I spent 8k on a rebuilt bottom end and when that blew, 10k on the single conversion using an engine package. The difference was insane. Don't waste your time with the rebuild man.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users