• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

I got into my car this morning, started it up, went to put in in reverse and it just grinds. I try to put it in 1st gear and it won't let me put it into gear. I turn the car off and try and I can put it in any gear. Anyone know whats going on?

#2 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

could be the clutch is F**ked or your slave cylinder has gone which if you haven't noticed anything funny with the clutch lately would more then likely point to the slave cylinder being F**ked or out of fluid.

#3 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

I drove the car yesterday and there was nothing wrong with it. Fluids are fine. Problem solved :lol: I just put it in 1st while the car was off then started it, felt like the gears weren't meshed or something. The car jumped alittle when i started but all good now, I hope.

#4 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like you might be running low on fluid for the hydraulic clutch to me.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#5 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Same happened to me after my rebuild.. it got jammed into 2nd.. I just kept on cranking it in gear, and it jumped out and sorted itself out on it's own.. but, as said, check the fluids to be sure

#6 Aaron.W

Aaron.W

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:cars and Snowboarding FTW!

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

a mate of mine had a similar problem in his gen 1, i ripped his box out to find that his clutch fork was snapped in half. so if it keeps happening i would say either the slave cylinder has gone or the clutch fork is craked and flexing instead of pushing the thrust bearing agains the pressure plate

95 Gen 2 gx series 1 with rx body kit built 207 on v2 sti heads, running gear, FMIC,twisted ATP GTX3076 Turbo setup :D

#7 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

cheers guys It seems to running fine now, no weird sounds, crunching etc. I'll keep an eye on it though.

#8 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

Common problem, If it wont engage reverse the first time, Go back to neutral, Clutch out, clutch in. and select 1st gear, then you will be able to go straight back to reverse.
MY02 Liberty B4

#9 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

Common problem,

If it wont engage reverse the first time, Go back to neutral, Clutch out, clutch in. and select 1st gear, then you will be able to go straight back to reverse.

Read the original post again.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#10 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

Read the original post again.

do the same for 1st genius

Another trick is have to car in neutral. Do not put your foot on the clutch but slowely select the gear which is giving you trouble. push untill you can feel the syncro try to grab the gear and the car start to move. Hold this position for 10 seconds. Then release.

This will wipe off and sludge or muck that is stuck on the syncro contact surface.

Also works for gears that crunch
MY02 Liberty B4

#11 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

cheers lance i tried everything before putting it in 1st while the car was off. Funny thing is, it only grind when trying to go into reverse not any other gear all is good now though

#12 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Common problem,

If it wont engage reverse the first time, Go back to neutral, Clutch out, clutch in. and select 1st gear, then you will be able to go straight back to reverse.

My gen1 and gen3 do that all the time.... always when I'm parking in a carpark and someone is trying to get past me :(

Stuff goes here

#13 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

do the same for 1st genius

What, so your suggestion for not being able to engage 1st gear is to put it in 1st gear and then take it out and put it in 1st gear? Or are you suggesting to put it in 1st he should put it in reverse, and then put it in 1st, so that he can then solve his problem of not being able to select reverse??

#14 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

I got into my car this morning, started it up, went to put in in reverse and it just grinds. I try to put it in 1st gear and it won't let me put it into gear.
I turn the car off and try and I can put it in any gear.

Anyone know whats going on?

MY02 Liberty B4

#15 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

went to put in in reverse and it just grinds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users