Jump to content


JDWhiteWRX

Member Since 24 Jun 2011
Offline Last Active Today, 09:18 PM
****-

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Joel's BRZ

Today, 06:59 PM

Picked up some more gas this week for the TIG welder and managed to get the rear lower control arms finished.
 
I finished the remaining welds first and then leveled the tops off with a flap disc for a cleaner look.
 
47879474181_29eccaeb71_b.jpg
 
Then I hit them with the wire wheel, some wax and grease remover and a couple of coats of cold-gal.
 
47879474221_519302340d_b.jpg[/url]
 
They came out about 250g heavier than the factory arms, I guess this is the weight penalty I'll have to take for the solid mounts and adjustability I require.
 
47827345072_53b8d3f256_b.jpg
 
Moving on I made a start on the rear toe arms. Again I am using the ladder bar adjusters, the original ball joints and some old control arms off my WRX that I have cut down and cleaned up with the wire wheel.
 
47879474441_1ca9f6d1a9_b.jpg
 
All I need to do now to finish these is get my friend to turn a female left hand thread into the cut down control arm pieces to suit the thread on the ladder bar and then I will weld the ball joints into them. I really wish I could afford my own lathe.
 
46963288065_442d9b9b83_b.jpg
 
The final thing I was playing with today was the A-pillar gusset design for my roll cage. I don't really like the usual circular dimple die style so spent the time to come up with something a little more unique and streamlined.
 
46963288105_e2ab2c2163_b.jpg

In Topic: Joel's BRZ

13 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

Running out of gas is the worst! Who do you get yours through? I used BOC for a while (d-plan), got sick of their shit so went with coregass/bunnings. So handy being able to pick up bottles on weekends! Price is good too

 

I originally purchased my own bottle through Gasweld but they went out of business so now I have been using Sydney Tools since they are right next door to where Gasweld used to be and were willing to exchange my bottle.


In Topic: Joel's BRZ

12 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

I made a start on my rear lower arms today but ended up running out of argon gas for my welder so didn't completely finish them.
 
They are similar to what I did with the trailing arms except this time I added a ladder bar adjuster which basically gives you extra adjustment length and allows adjustment without having to remove the rod end from the mount.
 
This photo shows the arms after I cut them and the small welding jig I made.
 
47779646912_1e6af54281_b.jpg
 
I ended up cutting some more length off the arms after my initial cuts just to make the welding easier.
 
47779646922_518e326621_b.jpg
 
I used a bit of CAD to make the sheet metal pieces that hold the tube into the factory arms.
 
47831769851_9dbac058f4_b.jpg
 
I mocked it up in my jig and then tacked this inside piece in place, then removed it from the jig to weld it properly to the back of the tube.
 
47042205824_058003a611_z.jpg
 
This is as far as I got before the gas ran out. There is probably another 30 minutes of welding to go and then they are done.
 
46915513685_b9a7c2b67b_b.jpg
 
I'll pick up some more gas this week and finish them off before priming and doing the weights.

In Topic: Joel's BRZ

08 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Nice Work! Where did you buy the rod ends from?

 

Thanks, McGill Motorsports in the UK.


In Topic: Joel's BRZ

04 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

I have officially started making my control arms today, starting with the rear trailing arms.
 
I started by making a simple welding jig with some scrap metal.
 
40804754163_75b99f8eb7_b.jpg
 
Then I cut the OEM arms at the kink. I no longer need the kink as I have lowered the trailing arm pickup point similar to what the MCA Suspension "traction mod" does. Also this car will run much less droop travel than a road going car.
 
40804754183_7f380fdbfc_b.jpg
 
The jig keeps the original length but I have adjusted the rod end so that I can mostly lengthen the link as this is most likely what will be needed as I adjust camber.
 
40804754133_e61785b155_b.jpg
 
Then I cut some tube to fill the gap and trimmed part of the OEM arm so the tube could slide in.
 
47718511012_241f7ffaf8_b.jpg
 
Here it is after welding, you can see I also boxed in the lower part for some extra strength.
 
46854515325_78f7cd56c3_b.jpg
 
Side detail
 
46854515375_82ce9f1f39_b.jpg
 
Then I quick clean up with the wire wheel and some cold gal primer.
 
40804755013_08a67564db_b.jpg
 
These arms ended up being 230 grams heavier than the originals and cost about $50 AUD to make.