Jump to content


Photo

1990 Liberty GX workshop Manual


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan1

Bryan1

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

G'day Guy's,

                     Now my subi is off the road with fuel problems would there be any chance of finding the workshop manual for the car, I did have a pdf a few years ago but when my computer dies stupid me didn't backup the pdf and the subi forum I got it from is no longer on line.

 

Regards Bryan



#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

    Rock'n the old Skool

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bridgewater/Central Vic/semi-retired nomad
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

G’day Bryan,

Have you tried a google search for the manual? There’s a few good US sites that I got digital copies of various manuals from. I wish I could remember what they were or where I found those sites!

All the best with your hunting ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Bryan1

Bryan1

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

G'day Guy's,

                      Well went and had a chat with my local Repco and the guy's there are fantastic with a heap of knowledge. I explained what happened and he said yep the fuel pump would be burnt out. There is a sock which acts as the primary filter and when that cloggs up it starves the fuel pump of fuel causing it to burn out. They do have one in stock so one day later in the week I'll take out the canister and check if the pump really is stuffed then get a replacement. Also while it's down I'm going to do the timing belt as the car has now done 235,000K and it had 68,000K when I bought it 5 years ago.

 

                    I will get around to doing the rings and bearings and I am tempted once that is done to stick a turbo in as the same model did come out with a turbo. That will make this ol' gal a nice sleeper and may even give a REX a good run for it's money too (hahahaha)

 

Cheers Bryan



#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

    Rock'n the old Skool

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bridgewater/Central Vic/semi-retired nomad
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

Personally I wouldn’t bother with bearings as that requires splitting the block and these bottoms ends arepretty sturdy from the factory. They’ll go the distance.

I would look into servicing the oil pump as this causes bearing issues if they were to occur.

If doing rings I would bother with a home either. See here: http://www.snowvalle...kes/dnthone.htm

So long as there’s no issues with the bore there’s no reason to hone. Also a good time for new pistons that will hold up with a turbo. The factory items from what I’ve read are good for 5spi, maybe 8psi, but after that you’ll find yourself pulling the engine down for another build.

Really though, if you’re going to all this effort, put your money into a half cut. The conversion overall will most likely cost you a little more but the gains will be more than what you could ever get on the EJ22 with a turbo and factory management.

If you weren’t doing engine work I’d say go for it - but realise that it’s a shit-and-giggles setup that’s a bit of fun more than anything.

And if you’re going turbo - either way - and the fuel pump is dead, now is the time to upgrade the fuel pump rather than replace with a pump that’s good for NA and not much else.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 Bryan1

Bryan1

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the tips el-Freddo, always great to have experienced guy's around to offer advise.

 

Anyway I've been driving my beloved '95 Hilux ute to work and coming home yesterday it was on the warm side like 90C sitting in traffic, got up the hill on the expressway no worries and over the top it went back down to 80C. Now when I got home took the ute upto my shed to top it up with water only to find a little fountain coming from the base of the radiator. So duly took it out and got the flux and soft solder out and managed to stop the fountain only to find a small drip persisting. As it was close to getting dark got everything back together and rang the boss to say well mate I've worked for you for 7 months now and not taken a day off but I will be as I do have car troubles.

 

So took the old pump out of the subi and the negative terminal was black as and totally burnt out. Went to repco taking the unit with only to find the supplied plug is different and they didn't have the correct plug in stock. So off to the local wreckers and luckily the guy found a cable with the correct plug that turned just long enough with a couple of fork connectors to connect the wires. Put it all back together and it started pretty well on the first couple of cranks so YEA my subi is back on the road.

 

The hilux is getting dropped tomorrow evening and at lunch time Saturday it will have a new 3 core radiator, all new hoses and finally coolant instead of water.

 

I just love the old cars as theres no electronics to fail, no air bags to go off at the wrong time etc. Just think if a EMP was to hit 99.9% cars would be off the road but ol' hilux would be still be chugging along.

 

Cheers Bryan



#6 Bryan1

Bryan1

    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

Well the plot thickens, installed the new pump and drove down to work yesterday and back home, stopped at servo and the subi just wouldn't start again. So pulled the pump out and brought it home only to find just like the old pump both still run. So it does look like an electrical fault is the problem and with the Hilux now having a new radiator it may be time to tow the subi home if it don't run when I put the pump back in.

 

Cheers Bryan






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users