Air intake resonator removal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars, PS4 and my B4!!!

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I was thinking of removing the air intake resonator. Will this make any difference? What would be the down/up side of this? And most importantly, how to do it? Do I have to remove the bumper or can I just do it from under the side panel?

Thanks guys

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Do it man.  You'll get about 20kw.

https://www.google.c...esonator subaru

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

For what it's worth and the pain in the arse it is to get in and out, just leave it in there dude.

I did the same thing by just hacking the box out of the U pipe that links the tract to the airbox. Got some extra noise, but realised any air that comes through the tract will just go back out the dirty big hole I made, negating any benefit at all. 

I would rather a closed system where air is pushed into the airbox with no escape rather than a pod filter. To back my own theory i tried back to back with a pod on the AFM vs Airbox. Had better response with airbox ( before i cut a hole in it )

If i could do it again, i would just bore a 3" hole in the bottom of the resonator and shove a pipe from the hole to behind the foglight mesh.

OR

I have heard apparently someone somewhere ( may have been a rumor ) but you can get a branded silicone pipe to replace the resonator box and U-Pipe. So, if you're looking in your engine bay, it replaces the U-Pipe w/ resonator which you can see poking out of the inner guard from tract to airbox. So basically just a single big hose from end to end.

EDIT: Did some research, can only find one made for an 02-07 STI which has a bigger intake tract than i have on my GTB, at least. All the links for manufacturers  are either dead or the item doesn't exist anymore.

I reckon you could make one with a full silicone bend. I'm just going to wrap some tape around the hole, extra anti-insect protection! Win-Win!

elcomp.jpg

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

LoL Josh...

Thanks for the detailed feedback Jim. I'll have to look into it a bit more. But I just wanted to see what the consequences were before I did it. I know the fun part is more noice lol... Hmmm..

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Not sure if there's any real adverse consequences or measurable benefits. 

My car honestly runs much better with the CAI/POD set up compared to the satandard set up.  Placebo????  Maybe...... maybe not.    I dig the noise & flutter so it's a lifestyle preference in my case.

Try it John.  See how you go, mate.  You'll either love or hate it and it's not a hard mod by any stretch.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

It's barely that much more audible. Waste of time unless, as i said, you make a straight path from your tract to your airbox whilst deleting the resonator.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#7 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

I agree with Jimbo. I did it on a single turbo and the increase in noise is minimal. 

#8 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

The cai is pretty loud though

#9 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

I cut the resonator section off the elbow and glued some plugs over the holes to direct the air around the elbow. Not so much for power increase but placebo. Every 0.1% adds up I guess. Prova used to make a carbon one but I never find one in stock.

#10 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Not sure if there's any real adverse consequences or measurable benefits. 

My car honestly runs much better with the CAI/POD set up compared to the satandard set up.  Placebo????  Maybe...... maybe not.    I dig the noise & flutter so it's a lifestyle preference in my case.

Try it John.  See how you go, mate.  You'll either love or hate it and it's not a hard mod by any stretch.

Hmmm... Interesting. You got any video or pics of the engine bay aiming at the CAI plz? Also if you can let me know what you got... I'd love the noise n flutter combo :)

It's barely that much more audible. Waste of time unless, as i said, you make a straight path from your tract to your airbox whilst deleting the resonator.

Will do this as well... So the best way to do this is with bumper off Yer?

#11 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

I done it on the foz and I hated it after a few months. The extra noise was just to damn annoying. Put it back in and now I hear much more of my exhaust so I'm happy.

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

No need to remove the bumper.  Access it from the driver gaurd, take the Wheel & plastic gaurdliner off.

This is what I did and I'm biased but it works for me..... http://www.subyclub....ss-is-in/page-3

#13 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

For what it's worth and the pain in the arse it is to get in and out, just leave it in there dude.

I did the same thing by just hacking the box out of the U pipe that links the tract to the airbox. Got some extra noise, but realised any air that comes through the tract will just go back out the dirty big hole I made, negating any benefit at all. 

I would rather a closed system where air is pushed into the airbox with no escape rather than a pod filter. To back my own theory i tried back to back with a pod on the AFM vs Airbox. Had better response with airbox ( before i cut a hole in it )

If i could do it again, i would just bore a 3" hole in the bottom of the resonator and shove a pipe from the hole to behind the foglight mesh.

OR

I have heard apparently someone somewhere ( may have been a rumor ) but you can get a branded silicone pipe to replace the resonator box and U-Pipe. So, if you're looking in your engine bay, it replaces the U-Pipe w/ resonator which you can see poking out of the inner guard from tract to airbox. So basically just a single big hose from end to end.

EDIT: Did some research, can only find one made for an 02-07 STI which has a bigger intake tract than i have on my GTB, at least. All the links for manufacturers  are either dead or the item doesn't exist anymore.

I reckon you could make one with a full silicone bend. I'm just going to wrap some tape around the hole, extra anti-insect protection! Win-Win!

elcomp.jpg

Prova also make one, but they are very rare.

#14 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

http://www.autospeed...le.html?&A=1605

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users