←  Body

Suby Club

»

Creaking suspension on Gen3 Outback

ChrisLovell's Photo ChrisLovell 06 Dec 2014

Hey guys, I took my Outback in for it's RWC check about 6 months ago and since then my suspension has been creaking and is really starting to piss me off. Is it possibly coincidence that my springs have just shat themselves at that time or possibly that they are rubbing on the body. I can't take it anywhere without hearing the god damn creaking.

Cheers, Chris

Niko's Photo Niko 06 Dec 2014

Does it creak when you're stopped and you push up and down on the rear of the car? Or only when driving? Is it exacerbated by any particular type of driving (corners, braking etc.)?

Can you narrow down the area it's coming from?

I've heard of top hats causing some creaking in later models so could be that, but there's a plethora of joints in which a creak can come from in that area. Otherwise if you can get more info, it will aid someone giving a diagnosis.

nickknack's Photo nickknack 06 Dec 2014

It could be bushings instead. Maybe control arm or similar?

ChrisLovell's Photo ChrisLovell 08 Dec 2014

I can cause it to creak when stationary if I push it hard enough, and it does it when cornering. It was first coming from the rear but now I can be from all four corners of the car.

OuTTback's Photo OuTTback 17 Dec 2014

Rear shock absorbers on Outback get squeaky.....common problem after about 180k depending on how much work the car has done. When mine got noisy it sounded like the rear side windows were squeaking and would make the noise with even the slightest press on the body or movement of the car. 

ChrisLovell's Photo ChrisLovell 17 Dec 2014

I'll try get a video of the sound it makes tomorrow, hopefully my exhaust doesn't drown it out