• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

This is Sunnie the Brumby, my mother inlaw's daily ride. Back when she was running a very thirsty Ford Fairmont Ghia that had a blown HG we were looking into new cars for her and I talked her into a Brumby.

It took us 6 months to find this one. In hindsight we offered the dude too much but that's where the market was back then.

She then spent some time with an old school friend for him to sort out the rust under the windscreen, in the front of each door and the sill panel below the windscreen rust (water + gravity!).

Here's Sunnie with a second set of doors while the originals were being repaired:

0000111wu6.jpg

Quite a bit of work went into Sunnie the Brumby while she was in the shed:

imgp0565yx4.jpg

imgp0574zn7.jpg

imgp0577kj0.jpg

Door being treated:

imgp0624ka8.jpg

imgp0626ol3.jpg

imgp0631kr1.jpg

imgp0649se3.jpg

Rims copped some paint too (looked 1000% better after the spray job!)

imgp0659aa2.jpg

Almost all back together:

imgp0660wj4.jpg

The finished product:

imgp0661jz6.jpg

After passing rego it was time to start adding things to it from the wish list. First was the better looking 6 gauge sports dash found in some older touring wagons, sedans and coupes:

1004253nu4.jpg

This is a stock Brumby instrument cluster with a small, one foot wide dash board where it mounts.
After a bit of this:

1004281xy5.jpg

We ended up with this awesome result:

1004300gg0.jpg

I also fitted AC while the dash board was out much easier to get the wiring in place and add the Evaporator into the air ducting system at this time.

Fast forward a year or two and I finally got a new floor covering sorted:

e3ci.jpg

It looks heaps better with a floor covering! The centre console is out of a touring wagon too.

Electric windows were added. Later the windows copped some tint too.

Central locking was installed:

1004347mb5.jpg

Still yet to make it remote central locking...

We added Power Steering while we had the engine out for a clutch replacement (xmas pressie):

christmasandnewyearpicsxo9.jpg

Got a new front bar for Sunnie the Brumby:

christmasandnewyearpicsmr0.jpg

So now it was time for some fun. Australia Week a few years back up on the Murray on Gunshot Island:

janurarypics453es6.jpg

Fishing with the Brumby (this is what happens when you can't be bothered to get your deck chair):

janurarypics491lk0.jpg

Back in Benders:

febrandoms007.jpg

Old photo of the two subi's together before R.Scoo grew up:

febrandoms004.jpg

Cruise control was added (best thing ever!!):

dsc7670cruise.jpg

Hanging out with a newly EA81 powered friend (EA81 being the engine type of the old MY's):

img0011tweetysunnie.jpg

So that's the story of Sunnie the Brumby so far. She's rolled over the 350,000km mark in the last couple of months and is still going strong.

rlef.jpg

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Im so glad we have a brumby person on the forums now. Love how nuggety and 80s spec they are.

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

What a mad build.

So much awesome.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Im so glad we have a brumby person on the forums now. Love how nuggety and 80s spec they are.

I love how rugged they are, their simplicity and what can be done with them if you want.

There's another thread in the pipeline, just need to sort out an issue and find some time ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#5 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

I love brumby's so much and my dad had too and I also wanted to do one up!

Thanks for sharing your story about the old girl mate and I hope she keeps on going for alot longer yet :) 

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Absolution, you're in the right place to pick up a brumby if you really want one!  Just be patient to pick one up for the right price in the right condition.

I reckon you'll be gob-smacked as to how simple they really are!

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#7 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

Maaaaad

IM47Gcv.jpg

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Cheers mate!

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Awesome Stuff!!

Posted Image

#10 BG11XV

BG11XV

Brian Gard (BG11XV)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:driving, fishing, photography, rallies, historic racing, cricket, downhill mtb, bbqs,

car mods, electrical work, diy mechanical work

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

amazing job mate i love these gems !!! top work !!!

PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

#11 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

Thanks guys, still a lot of work to go really! The old girl would benefit from a respray but we can't afford the downtime or the respray :(

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#12 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

Three weeks ago Sunnie the Brumby was in for some long overdue work - usual wear and tear items were replaced:

6lXT7y.jpg

The front right bearing was making noise, this was the catalyst for the work. 

3GkQbO.jpg

The front shafts were clicking, front discs had a lip and some interesting grooves.  

pPwJKQ.jpg

While “in there” I swapped out ball joints and tie rod ends as I can’t remember the last time these were done and I didn’t want to be pulling the front end apart again any time soon!

I went for sealed bearings and did the usual - wash out the factory packed grease, dried them then repacked with some fresh high temp bearing grease, then replaced only one seal:

yeKSGj.jpg

The seal was orientated to the outside of the hub, spacer put in place and some extra grease added to avoid the grease exiting the bearing to the otherwise empty space between the bearings:

d9CZPX.jpg

This little tool was totally awesome and I wish I’d got onto it years ago.  No more pliers for me - so easy that hand brake equipped calipers are no longer seen as a PITA to reset.  I did have to get a 3/8th adapter to use it with my half inch drive kit:

klPJhN.jpg

Put it all back together and it looks something like this:

ioOWaE.jpg

And then repeat on the other side!

After this Sunnie copped a new set of front tyres and an alignment.  Then we did the pick-a-part circuit in melbs (oh - and found out one of the new shafts was clicky right out the driveway after it was installed!).

Since there was a 50% off gearbox week at PAP I decided I’d grab an L 5spd for Sunnie, and I knew that in Campbellfield there was the perfect candidate that I saw the weekend before.  I got there and the guys at the yard had removed and probably crushed it that day.  Spewing.

I grabbed another carb from a brumby at Centre road as Sunnie’s one has a lot of shaft play.  I did the swap once back at home with a minor clean out.  I should’ve thought about how to blow all the little ports and what not out with air as I just cleaned up what I could and went from there - only to have the car not run properly on the open road.

So I was forced to again strip the carb down, made up a little nozzle from a selly’s caulking gun tube with a car’s air valve to use with my little air compressor, then blew everything out that I could.  I even mustered up the courage to remove and clean the jets being very careful not to mix them up!  Playing with the carb really made me appreciate the EFI system, I'm such a convert from back in the old days!

Took it for another drive and it was the same if not worse - gave it a number of foot to floor runs where it would accelerate then proceed to die.  This told me the secondary was opening (wasn’t previously) but then it was being starved of fuel so no bang to make things go.

I turned around did a couple more then whoosh, we were off - and now we’ve only got a small idle issue to deal with as I’ve not tuned the auto choke.  Otherwise we’re pretty happy with the swap.  Now to check the change in fuel economy if any.

RbOURI.jpg

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#13 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Now it's HG time. Only found out by chance when Mrs El Freddo said her mum was putting "a few litres" of water in the radiator to drive from her's to our's :/

So Mrs El Freddo drive her home while I cracked into the job. The back up plan was our scooter to get my mother inlaw arou d while I'm working on her car - only to find upon return to MIL's that it's been stolen :mad:

11am mustered up the courage to work in the crisp cold weather outside. Copped some rain in the process. 6pm the engine is a short block ready for some cleaning and further assessment of the shape of the heads.

Now to order new parts and hope they all arrive during the week to go back together this weekend.

I'm also keen for a 5 speed L series box - trying to find one hasn't been straight forward. Now is a great time to do the work as the engine is out and we need to do something with the clutch as the old one is at the point that we replace it now to save pulling it out again in 6 months to a year... There was an L series in ballarat up for grabs for nix, but the dude wanted the whole thing gone and I can't have a wreck out the front of my place :(

Pap and Jolly's are not turning up anything that's useful for this little project either :(

We'll get there one day with an L series 5 speed box! One day.

Pics to come. Probably next weekend or early next week.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#14 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

The Brumby looks a treat.  gl with the rebuild, hopefully some of the plans will come together.

DANG!  To read that your rides been stolen.  Gutted!  Put all the work into something only to have some low life cut it short.  DANG!  Hopefully it will be located without... issues.

#15 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thanks NQRS. Luckily for us the scooter was located and has since been returned minus it's plates. After playing around with it for a bit it's now running again :D WIN! Very lucky!

On the Brumby front - last week gave me nothing in free time to fully clean up the heads. Having a look yesterday I reckon it'll be best to have the heads shaved as I'm suss about the area where the HG was leaking. It probably is flat but to be sure I'll send them in.

Some parts haven't arrived yet, and I'm yet to order some from my local parts place too. Next weekend I'm pretty sure we're away so there's no time to work on it then either :/

It'll come together though!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#16 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

Well the head gasket work is slowly coming along.  Work got in the way big time on this.  Very frustrating.

Heads off "closed deck goodness" :P

lSPagr.jpg

Crusty sump gasket:

ORvoXq.jpg

Thank goodness the sump practically fell off, I thought it was going to put up a fight.  The gasket put up a good fight from the sump - probably being the original sump, it was basically welded on.

So I've done little bits here and there when I could.  Probably the biggest time saver I've had was cleaning up all the bits.

I wanted to replace the valve stem seals - ordered a valve stem seal kit and only got 4 valves, thinking this was wrong I went back to my parts joint.  Got another set.

I pulled the valves off the head only to find that the EA81 does not run an exhaust valve stem seal.  Ancient!

I ended up doing a valve regrind - glad I did, this is what they looked like before I started:

TW2cJP.jpg

This is what they looked like after:

xq8MQw.jpg

That should seal up good and proper in comparison now.  It'll be interesting to see how it runs now power/economy wise.

Tonight I got the heads on, tomorrow I'll double check the torque of the head bolts then fit the intake manifold etc.  All going well I hope to do a run in the car late tomorrow - weather pending.  I don't have a pic of the heads on yet, I'll get one tomorrow before I do the valve clearance settings and fitting the intake manifold.

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

#17 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

EA81 for next power build cos CDB lel. Are those factory head studs??

tIeW8DE.png

#18 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Rip a Bennie, skid.

#19 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

EA81 for next power build cos CDB lel. Are those factory head studs??

Closed deck block - factory

Head studs - factory

Power output - maybe 50kw - factory :P

Rip a Bennie, skid.

In a paddock no worries (4wd skid goodness).  On the road it's nothing but traction action :P

All done and dusted last week.  Sunnie the Brumby is running very well and seems to have a bit more poke - most likely due to the valve grinding work that was completed.

Now to sort out a CV joint and things would be sweet - then onto the 5 speed conversion...

Cheers

Bennie

1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brumby, EA81

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users