• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

Cool alternator job Bennie!

I'm assuming the EJ unit has higher current output than the EA unit?

Thanks mate. Yes it has a higher output but I’m not 100% sure what it is. It’s much more stable than the old EA alternator. It’s also solved some other weird issues I was having with my headlights on and using the indicators - my dashboard used to squeal at me with a small high pitch noise until it either petered out or I flicked the headlights off and on again. Doesn’t happen anymore so I’m stoked about that, also don’t understand why since the old alternator still produced a charge.

I’m happy though. More reliable stuff under the bonnet is always a good thing!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#42 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:41 PM

I have heard squeals from dashboards before. Low voltage can cause relays to cycle on an off a such a fast rate it sounds like a squeal.

If you hold a 9v battery on a relays 85 & 86 terminals in just the right way, you can replicate it.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#43 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

Well it turns out the dash board squeal is still there. Frustrating. Dunno why it does it! A quick flick to parker lights and back on again sorts it out. Then its sorted. If I dont do the flick trick, it will stay for a while then taper out until I use the indicators again.

Other note: to service the #2 cylinder with this alternator swap requires the alternator to be flipped up and out of the way. The main charge cable bolt blocks access to the spark plug. Small thing and the swap is still work it in my book.

I had a little play to try and get rid of my detonation issue when the engine is hot or at cruising speeds at light loads - which then quickly turns into heavy loads when climbing inclines etc. Im probably not going to sort this issue properly as I think the real issue is low compression or increased oil consumption when hot. It would be nice to be able to drive between towns without having to be my own knock sensor!

All plugs looked good except no.2 which had evidence of carbon hot spots on the plug. I cleaned that out, gapped the plugs correctly from >1.1mm to 0.8mm as they should be. This could possibly help a little. Time will tell.

And pics because why not?

tS0lko.jpg

Ey4yNo.jpg

Ive enjoyed many tops off drives already this half of the year:

xDg9CD.jpg

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#44 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:42 PM

Cool pics.
A bloke at work is making noises about putting an EJ20 from a MY02ish Foz in his Brumby. Apparently that's the go because the ECU sits on the engine. He doing the bits and Bob's method from wreckers to do it. If it were me, I'd just get a front cut and be done with it.

Was the dash squeal there before the alternator swap Bennie?

#45 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

I wouldn’t go the 2L - straight to the EJ251! The EJ201 (I think it is) will be a good upgrade over the EA81 but there will be the same sort of wire splicing into the EA loom to run everything as there would be with any other EJ conversion. The difference is cutting down the loom for the systems with the ECU mounted in the cab.

He might find there’s still a loom cut down required for the plug from the ECU to the main loom. I hope he’s done his homework! I did Ruby Scoo’s EJ conversion via bits and bobs. Was super cheap in the end. Having a mate donate a loom or two helped (second loom is in the brumby already, just need to get the gearbox setup sorted then it’s EJ time).

Yeah that squeal noise was there before the EJ alternator. It arrived with the new dash board I put in last year... I still need to put my interior back together, it’s on the to do list.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#46 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:57 AM

Doesnt an EJ need mechanical work to fit into one of these things? Rails notched etc? As I understand it, the EJ is wider than the EA? Or do I have my wires crossed here?

Personally I'd steer clear of the 25 due to head gaskets... 20 will be more than enough in something as light as a brumby.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#47 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

DOHC does, SOHC goes in as is iirc

tIeW8DE.png

#48 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

Doesnt an EJ need mechanical work to fit into one of these things? Rails notched etc? As I understand it, the EJ is wider than the EA? Or do I have my wires crossed here?

An adaptor plate is needed to mate to the gearbox. But I’d want to be running an L series 5spd at the minimum.

SOHC fits no worries. DOHC is where the rail notching needs to occur.

Personally I'd steer clear of the 25 due to head gaskets... 20 will be more than enough in something as light as a brumby.

Meh. Swap them for MLS units and there is no issue. DO NOT replace with he factory original units, there lies the problem. Plus the EJ251 copped much of the EJ25D’s poor reputation, similar issue but same rep not warranted in my book.

And yes, the 2L should go well in the brumby. But the EJ251 would go even better ;) ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#49 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

Yea, I thought that originally too, until I bought the snot box I'm driving now. Bought with blown 251 head gaskets and then replaced with shiny MLS ones and BANG, a few thousand km later, does another head gasket...
Interesting that the DOHC needs the notching. They don't look that much different when out of the car... always picking up more info for the brain to file away in case I ever do something silly and buy one.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#50 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

There’s nothing silly about buying a brumby! They’re only going up in value!

The cam covers of the DOHC are a different side profile to the SOHC covers. And the cam belt covers apparently foul the chassis rails too. Apparently running no covers is an option if a road hugging vehicle.

Yesterday on the way to work the brumby wasn’t running very well. Very high idle and once warmed up a bit it was stumbling at idle. Turned out I missed two vacuum lines when I put the air box back on... all sorted now.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#51 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

I wouldn’t go the 2L - straight to the EJ251! 
Cheers

Bennie

I suggested exactly that, but he doesn't want to have to engineer it. 

I'd reckon a 2.5 SOHC would really make a Brumby come alive!

#52 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

I suggested exactly that, but he doesn't want to have to engineer it.

If he’s in Vic he will need to engineer it anyway because the EJ was not offered as a factory option. Best to read up on the modification laws. I think they’re up to VSI-14 or VSB-14, I can’t remember it’s acronym.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#53 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:10 AM

If he’s in Vic he will need to engineer it anyway because the EJ was not offered as a factory option. 

Cheers

Bennie

That's what I think too (a very long time ago I used to do engine conversions for a living) but some people just can't be told....

#54 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:11 PM

That's what I think too (a very long time ago I used to do engine conversions for a living) but some people just can't be told....

VicRoads will tell him. That’s always fun!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#55 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:45 PM

I finally got around to something I’ve had on the to-do list since the day I got Redback - clean up some rust before it kills my ride. This is coated in rust buster at the moment:

GA6x0K.jpg

0sg6ZV.jpg

PIejcI.jpg

There was another small patch on the radiator support panel and I hit the passenger’s side A pillar patch below the lower hinge. It’s a fair hole now and will require a panel cut, clean and replacement. That was always on the cards - just when is the question. RHS needs to be done the same too.

I really didn’t want to do the work as I know all too well how it goes - it’s a chase of the rabbit down the hole when it comes to rust. And it never looks good once it’s done as I’m not one to sand, fill and spray etc. I just want the rust shot until I can get that dream spray job done!

I’m hoping that next weekend will see the Brumby head to Wandiligong to visit the Wandi pub - and get a photo of the pub with the Wandi Pub sticker on my bullbar:

Hj0nlk.jpg

The trip is just something I’ve wanted to tick off the list for a long time. In 2019 when I visited the pub for the first time, I found out they don’t do this style of sticker anymore, which just had me wanting to bring the sticker (and my bullbar) back to the pub they both apparently once visited before :P

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#56 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

Hope you make it Wandli Bennie!
I thought it was a pretty chilled pub when I was last there 20 odd years ago.

#57 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:18 PM

Hope you make it Wandli Bennie!
I thought it was a pretty chilled pub when I was last there 20 odd years ago.

The brumby will get me there and back. At what speed I don’t know, but I’m thinking of packing a spare fuel pump just in case that choking like issue arises again. It’s not the same as a broken down cat causing a blocked exhaust, been there, done that several times now...

Here’s the first coat of primer stuff that’s meant to be good against rust too. This is just hand painted on as it only needs to keep rust away and not look pretty as such:

y1QRa3.jpg

Second coat of the same stuff is about to go on after this post. Then tomorrow it’ll be painted with its top coat to seal it all up.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#58 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:56 PM

Waiting for the "living vicariously through Bernie" travel pics.

Hope there's lots.
Safe travels.

#59 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:31 AM

Mission accomplished!

The route was: Bendigo, Tooborac (also has an awesome pub!), Seymour, Yea, Bonnie Dion, Mansfield, Whitfield, Myrtleford, Porpunkah, Bright, Wandiligong. On the way home we dead headed to save time. From Myrtleford we hit Oxley, Glenrowan (via the freeway) down to Violet Town, across to Rushworth and on to Bendigo.

682km. Dont know exact fuel usage yet but first fill before returning home was 33L and 423km! Thats a record for the brumby, 7.8L/100km!! - even with a good flogging between Mansfield and Whitfield, I was very surprised! Fuel on the Hume was ridiculously expensive - $1.63/L for REGULAR! So glad I filled up in Myrtleford at $1.50/L for premium!!

Not many photos, too busy driving! Here are a couple from my phone. Ill have to see whats on the big camera yet.

sFFQso.jpg

At Colbinabbin silo art on our dead leg home run (boring as :fork: - these roads should have a higher speed limit to avoid boredom!):

diOnIa.jpg

Awesome day out. It was great to see so many people out, shame that for many social distancing is already a thing of the past... one notable dickhead on the road. The food at the Wandi Pub was awesome too (as expected)! We *just* made it in time to place an order! Book in early (weeks in advance) if you want to stop in for a feed (no joke!).

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#60 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:08 AM

Awesome Bennie.

Fuel was forked this weekend. Had to pay $1.80 for 98 and 1.60 for 91. 

Funnily enough my parents are doing a very similar tour next weekend for the silo art 

tIeW8DE.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brumby, EA81

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users