Photo

B4 running rich with misfire - at wits end.

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

MY03?

Should do up a build thread with pics so we can see the car. 

Someone here may know it's history.

#82 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

Yeah, it is a MY03. EJ208. I'll write up a build thread with pics and the whole story once I get it running right.

Diagnosis of the lean/rich condition has been put on hold. I pulled the gearbox out to put my new clutch in only to discover that both the rear main and the gearbox were leaking oil onto the clutch. My old man is going to split the gearbox open for me to fix the leak and replace a ton of bearings at the same time.

Anyway, here's the condition of the old clutch...

Attached Files

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#83 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

oooh eerr - lots of gunky black sticky shit on there.

#84 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

There's your problem! It's good to know when it's all out you can repair it all. Hopefully the "other" issue is handled soon too!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#85 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

*cough*
you know what to do while the gearbox or engine is out and you have good access to the rear of the motor... :D

#86 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Update: We're in action again, sort of.

I put in a new gearbox and HD clutch. Bit annoyed that the gearbox isn't in as good condition as I hoped. Some of the syncros aren't great.

Anyway, I'm back on the road and can get to finally sorting out this P0171 problem. I haven't yet had a chance plumb the PCV back in or redo the gaskets on the intake manifold, but the car has presented new symptoms...

When cruising the highway under low boost I can feel the car surging every few seconds. My boost gauge collaborates this, pulsing up about 3 PSI for a second then dropping back to where it was. I now also can feel a slight misfire on idle.

I'm hoping it is just an air leak from dodgy intake manifold gaskets that has opened up even more.

Side note:

I've been having problems with my intercooler knocking against the fire wall. I have a replaced the engine mount that lives below it and it is still sitting too close. The exhaust was also knocking just after the cat but that's been fixed with some encouragement from a big metal bar and a gas bottle ;)

Anyone had this problem before? Bit worried that the car may have been in an accident and everything might be out of whack.

#87 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

without PCV plumbed up - won't your intake air measure be all out of whack?

Can't help with the intercooler - mine is ok even with an inch of body lift (ie: motor 1" lower in bay)/

Have you snugged up the pitch stop in the right spot? 

#88 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

Have you had the car scanned or are you getting the 171 code from the green plug diagnostics?

The reason I ask is because I've found conflicting information when using the green plugs to scanners in the past.
Infact, i've given up using the green plugs altogether these days. I got sick of the wild goose chase.

The surging is a common issue. For the life of me I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

I think you should replace all your vacuum lines before you go ahead and take your manifold off again.
It's cheap, quick and easy. Who knows, doing that may sort out a few of your issues.

#89 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have a bluetooth scanner that sometimes lives plugged in. Sadly the only live data I can get from it is battery voltage, but it does do a good job reading codes.

#90 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

As I said about 15 posts ago.
get rid of that silly pod and MAF pipe for a start it will not be helping your troubleshooting.

you've also got a heap of new vac lines in place and have probably ended up deleting at least one restrictor pill.

As for the PCV, that won't be helping things at all either.
Get that sorted and all the factory plumbing back to where it should be.

If you know your intake manifold is leaking, ensure that's done too.

there's no use trying to diagnose an airflow issue when you have other airflow issues.

while you're pulling bits apart, make sure you're cleaning and inspecting each and every hose, solenoid, joiner, etc to make sure it's 100%
check any hose clamp and pipe is properly connected and none of the bends are cracked/ leaking air.

until all of that is done, there's no point trying to fix anything else on these engines

#91 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

As I said about 15 posts ago.
get rid of that silly pod and MAF pipe for a start it will not be helping your troubleshooting.

- I can't, unless I source an original filter box. Car came like this and didn't come with the old parts.

you've also got a heap of new vac lines in place and have probably ended up deleting at least one restrictor pill.

- Checked and rechecked.

As for the PCV, that won't be helping things at all either.

Get that sorted and all the factory plumbing back to where it should be.

If you know your intake manifold is leaking, ensure that's done too.

- Already planning to.

there's no use trying to diagnose an airflow issue when you have other airflow issues.

while you're pulling bits apart, make sure you're cleaning and inspecting each and every hose, solenoid, joiner, etc to make sure it's 100%
check any hose clamp and pipe is properly connected and none of the bends are cracked/ leaking air.

until all of that is done, there's no point trying to fix anything else on these engines

- Not trying to diagnose anything new. Maybe the new symptoms might help create a clearer picture of the original problem.

Does it bother anyone that I keep this thread up to date? I might be too optimistic, but maybe it will help someone with similar symptoms one day.

#92 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

- I can't, unless I source an original filter box. Car came like this and didn't come with the old parts.

Step 1
Stock filter box and AFM housing,

they are not a restriction to airflow anyway, and you won;t be sucking in hot, dirty air from the engine bay, you'll get cool clean air from the inner guard

#93 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Getting one out of a wreck is your best bet at sourcing one quickly. Other than that, import monster.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#94 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

YES LUKE, THIS THREAD IS PISSING ME OFF RAAAAAH!

Nah, man. It's hard to sort this type of thing online but if you learn anything it's worthwhile.

Sometimes we get a win doing it this way.

#95 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

Pulled the intake off. Put new gaskets in. Plumbed up my PCV properly (thanks Kong).

When I put it all back together and started the car I was quite alarmed as it immediately started knocking. The sound disappeared quickly. I didn't drop anything down the intake as far as I'm aware. Could it be because I fixed the air leak the car was running right out of whack before adjusting?

On the first drive the engine light came back on, but turned out to be the cam shaft sensor. The car has had earthing problems in the past and I had an extra earth attached right near the cam shaft which I had left unattached. Thinking about it now, could this be another reason why the engine started knocking?

Anyway, reattached the additional earth and the car has been running much better with no error codes.

However, the recent surging problem still exists. It occurs when I sit on low boost. I do have the BOV plumbed directly to the manifold. Might take it back to stock to see if this resolves it.

Regardless, I'm a happy man. My major issue has been sorted. Thanks all!

#96 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

That's great Luke.

#97 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

good news!

Yeh - not surprised the car knocked and kicked like a bronco on startup if the cam sensors were playing up.  Start + dodgy ground = low voltages.

#98 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

The B4's will surge on low boost, especially when sitting on the edge (around 0 psi). I found I could make it start it if I held the throttle in that perfect spot to hold 0 pound, and it would just start surging like nothing else. All of a sudden you'd be doing illegal speeds.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#99 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

Mine never used to surge. Only started since I put the new gearbox in a week ago.

#100 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

The B4's will surge on low boost, especially when sitting on the edge (around 0 psi). I found I could make it start it if I held the throttle in that perfect spot to hold 0 pound, and it would just start surging like nothing else. All of a sudden you'd be doing illegal speeds.

This makes sense to something I experienced a few weeks back highway driving.

Hold it on 0psi at freeway speeds and it starts shuddering a bit. It was either that or as Dunc described the Auto lock-out. Probably the latter as my tranny probably needs a good service.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users