#21 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Nice find dude! Good info. So maybe you need one of those corrector modules that can intercept and change the signal. I have heard of places making these up but for it to work correctly you need to know exactly how far the speedo is out at a given reading and calibrate around that

#22 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Personally. I think getting a new speedo drive is the go. Buy one brand new (I can get a trade price if need be). Get the correct item for the gearbox. Fark knows what's been put in it. And even if it doesnt fix it. Its one less thing to worry about. All cheaper and easier than having the speedo fixed up.
TSM

#23 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Well I think I will start by checking / replacing the speed sensors first, to see if that changes anything. Given that I can log and display my speed through a laptop or through the ECU data scanner (digital) and they both report the same speed as the speedometer on my cluster, it may not be the cluster requiring recalibration.

#24 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

http://www.jaycar.co...mp;form=KEYWORD
yeah doesn't sound like the cluster neading calibration dude, but the signal coming from the speed sensors.

#25 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, $25 on it being the speedo drive, or at very least something connected to it. Just an off thought though. What MY is the gearbox?
TSM

#26 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

MY96 ? V2, late.

#27 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I would agree with Paul in that its the little cog thingy that needs changing, however I reckon its easier to use a digital signal intercept and change the pulse :D not as much stuffing around trying to find the right ration cog etc.

#28 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Ahh, so it had the 16" wheels anyway? I was thinking maybe, if it was a newer gearbox. Perhaps the cars fitted with the 17" wheels had a larger overall wheel diameter as well. Josh, I reckon those interceptors are just adding unknowns. KISS <-- best theory. Problem I see with the electronic speedo's, is that there is two sources for the signal. Which one is buggered?
TSM

#29 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

buy a new car ? :P

#30 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

In my opinion it's easier to replace the faulty sensor(s) than buy additional equipment. K.I.S.S. as you said Pauly, couldn't agree more. Ah well, I'll just add it to the list of stuff to do. Engine + gearbox are coming out soon anyway, doing my clutch + flywheel + major service and will do engine bay degrease, clean, sort and tidy up as well so replacing these sensors shouldn't be an issue.

#31 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Josh: Yeah, I would. Dyl: New IC ffs..........., also Might as well do all the vacume lines as well.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users