• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#461 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 11:48 AM

My intercooler and radiator cores arrived yesterday. I got an amazing deal on these cores from CSF, although I personally believe PWR make the best heat exchangers money can buy.

nn7lDqY.jpg?1

The intercooler core is rated to 850hp and I am still trying to decide whether I should trim down the height of the radiator core a little before I weld on the end tanks.

yEFywH5.jpg?1

I have a reasonable amount of space in front of the engine to fit both heat exchangers. They are most likely going to be stacked together and fully ducted with the air venting out the bonnet.

u0Ws4Pg.jpg?1

So I am just playing with the angle at the moment before I make some kind of support to hold them in place.

My turbo is currently in transit from Full Race Motorsport in Arizona. I have to give a big thanks to Geoff from Full Race for helping me choose which turbo to get.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#462 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

Looks good mate. I bet you’re excited!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#463 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:54 PM

My turbo has arrived!

It took me a long time to come to a decision on which turbo to get, it was either going to be Garrett or Borg Warner. Obviously both great options but in the end the EFR series from Borg Warner won me over.

I've always been a fan of twin scroll housings and Garrett don't seem to be offering this on their newer G series turbos, they really do help to get a larger turbo making boost sooner. 

I was also attracted to the aluminium housing option that is only available with BW EFR for the weight savings and better thermal properties. 

EFR has a significantly lighter weight turbine wheel for better spool and transient response and a properly designed internal wastegate system for simplicity and better packaging.

The IWG is not always perfect though and it will limit my top end power to some degree. Full Race Motorsport have just released a kit for the internally gated EFR that uses a Civic Type R electronic IWG actuator for ultimate boost control, so I have purchased this kit to prevent any potential issues.

51436003348_324692f537_z.jpg

#464 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:19 PM

That is cool!

I would probably go twin scroll if it was me, based on manufactures seem to use them for the same reason; builds torque quicker so better to drive. I guess in your case, this would be better when exiting corners.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#465 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

Looks like a nice toy! Really cannot wait to see and hear this thing! It's gonna sound so mean!

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#466 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:36 PM

I've spent a lot of time going back and forth with turbo position this week. 
My original intention was to low-mount it just behind the shock and run the dump pipe inside the cockpit just in front of the pedal box behind a steel box enclosure then out the side.

This turbo is much larger than I thought so it does not fit in that position. I then tried to high-mount it and I did manage to make it fit but it goes against everything I've been trying to achieve with this build. The main goal is to move all the weight as low as possible and toward the center of the car.

The only remedy is to move the shocks. It will be a lot of extra work and I will have to cut off the shock mounts that I have already spent a considerable amount of time making.

This photo shows the rough position of the turbo and also the rough position the shocks will be moved to.

BNhiW14.jpg?1

You can see the weight is low and back, the tradeoff is the shocks are now mounted higher up but they are also further back which is good. The shocks weigh 2.6kg (5.7lbs) each and the turbo weighs only 11.15kg (24.6lbs) with its aluminium core so there is benefit to mounting the turbo lower than the shocks. Generally speaking a low-mount turbo is also better for heat management.

This new shock arrangement should also allow me to mount the front swaybar behind the engine.

I have been waiting on some things to arrive before I could settle on a final mounting position for the turbo as there are potential clearance issues with the steering intermediate shaft. I bought a complete steering column from a wrecked 86 and I will be running a motorsport sytle collapsible column from the EPAS unit up to the steering wheel which is moved a long way back from the stock position.

I have already trimmed all the unnecessary bits of the EPAS.

EUpK9fT.jpg?1

The other consideration is the turbo manifold which I am going to try build myself. I ordered a really nice 347ss DIY manifold kit from Hypertune which also includes a beautifully made T4 twin scroll cast collector to suit the IWG turbo. The collector is a critical part and sees the most extreme conditions so buying one like this seems the best way to go.

2UEQ6C8.jpg?1

Since Hypertune don't support Honda engines the kit is actually for a Evo but I can grab any extra bends I need from them if required, they are not too far from my house. I also had to grab a head flange from Mazworx for this reason, its CNC ported already so the holes go from oval to round.

pgHssS4.jpg?1

I don't have a lot of time to work on the car right now as we just had a baby girl but I'm collecting all the parts for when I do get more time.

#467 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:44 PM

Congratulations on your new arrival! Understandable that she’ll take you away from the build.

Huge effort moving the struts mate! I guess what happens on one side must happen on the other side...

That exhaust manifold kit looks like it’ll be some fun. Keep up the good effort as always.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#468 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:58 PM

I've finished moving the inboard suspension. The shocks have been moved from the original position to make space for low-mounting the turbo. Many new positions were trialed before settling on this final position. 

This is where the shocks will sit now

lP5qljw.jpg?1

You can clearly see the space that is now open for the turbo

0P1otwT.jpg?1

I was able to use the knowledge gained from the original design to make this a relatively quick process. I went through the whole process again that was previously described in this thread to build a mock up shock and measure the wheel travel versus shock travel and calculate the rising rate of the suspension.

This video shows the new design in action

The original shock mounts were cut off once I was happy the new design would work.

48jmNeE.jpg?1

Xi1JifS.jpg?1

Now I have been able to properly low-mount the turbo with plenty of clearance to make my turbo manifold and no more issues with the steering intermediate shaft being in the way.

RP9jY9R.jpg?1

UZeF0t5.jpg?1

I am both excited and nervous to make my very first turbo exhaust manifold now.

#469 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

Wow. That's a very interesting design when it comes to the suspension. Will there be bracings and stiffeners put onto things like the triangular plate etc, or will it be left as is? I'm looking forward to see what you do with the exhaust and steering. This is amazing stuff!

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#470 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:10 AM

That is just a flimsy mock-up, the only important thing about it is the pivot locations which allows me to measure wheel travel versus shock travel. When I build the actual linkage it will be completely different but the pivot locations will be identical.

#471 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:40 PM

Can’t get my head around how you mount the shock like that and have everything working as it should. Maybe I’m missing something simple without seeing it... which reminds me, I need to check out the video link you posted above.

Seems so simple that it almost shouldn’t work! Just angles really... that’ll be some beefy pivot work I bet.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#472 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:36 PM

A couple of random images to help you visualise.

Ferrari-MF18.jpg

Attached Files

#473 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

Congrats on the arrival of your daughter!

I love how you were able to relocate the shocks. I guess this is one of the advantages of this type of suspension?

Don't be too worried about fabbing the turbo manifold, everything else you have done so far has looked impressive!

#474 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for those pics! I was trying to work out what the other rod sections are that go from the swivel plate forward in both pics - sway bar! Got ideas on how you’ll do this or where it will be mounted in relation to everything else?

Seems that you can mount it where ever you want!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#475 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for those pics! I was trying to work out what the other rod sections are that go from the swivel plate forward in both pics - sway bar! Got ideas on how you’ll do this or where it will be mounted in relation to everything else?

Seems that you can mount it where ever you want!

Cheers

Bennie

I've left space for front a swaybar and it could either be mounted to the lower control arms or the bell cranks like in those photos, I'm hoping I won't need it though.

#476 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:17 AM

Moving the entire suspension to make room for a turbo is something i can get behind.

Awesome stuff as usual

tIeW8DE.png

#477 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:06 PM

For those not on Instagram here is a sneak peek of the turbo exhaust manifold fabrication.

51561503365_956d371edb_c.jpg

#478 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:27 PM

Shit, that looks amazing!

#479 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hats off mate! Can’t wait to see this fully welded up and fitted. I love the jig you made to hold it all together as you worked out all those bends. Are they equal length?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#480 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:58 PM

Just wow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users