allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:54 AM

That looks tough!

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#502 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:13 AM

^ too right! Can’t wait to see it with the final front end on it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#503 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 09:35 AM

I'm hoping to have the car on display at Subinats next year, just a few things I need to finish so I can easily get it on and off my trailer but it should be possible.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#504 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:02 AM

I love that front on pic. Looks awesome!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#505 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:11 PM

I have been a bit slack with the forum updates, sorry about that. Lots has been happening, I'm mostly working on the cooling system.

I started by trying to make my own radiator but that didn't go so well. The fabrication part was fine, I cut the core down to size and made some end tanks but when the time came to weld the end tanks to the core I had a lot of difficulty with the very thin and hard to clean aluminium.

51703545166_8ca8975010_c.jpg

So I took the easy way out and bought a radiator, its actually for a Mk4 Golf but the size was perfect for my needs and its a dual pass with inlets/outlets on one side like I need, although I will weld on some AN fittings.

I also ordered in all the bits required to build my header tank, swirl pot and connections for the electric water pump. Plus all the intercooler piping.

51704197119_02de49116e_c.jpg

Next I got to work on mounting the heat exchangers in the car, I played with this a lot as like everything there are compromises to be made and things fighting to fit in the space available.
I ended up settling on a 45 degree angle for the heat exchangers, this should give both inlet and outlet ducting a reasonably smooth airflow with minimal change in angle.

Once the position was finalised I started making the end tanks for the intercooler core. I'm running HD clamps on everything too.

51703804393_da976849a9_c.jpg

That brings me to the work I'm doing right now, I've fabricated a frame that will slightly space the intercooler off the radiator and also form a seal so all the air is forced to pass through both coolers. The frame has a mix of rubber seals and foam tape to prevent any air escaping. The radiator is riding on rubber mounts that are bolted to the intercooler. I will then run some tube out to bolt to the intercooler and support everything in place.

51703519586_a39cf251db_c.jpg

#506 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:22 PM

Nice work. This is really starting to come together. I love it. The workmanship looks top notch too!

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#507 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:01 PM

Looks great.

So plumbing, then wiring then racing? :)

#508 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:11 AM

Thanks guys,

still lots to do but progress has been great with all this time spent at home.

#509 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 06:58 PM

Hey guys, Merry Christmas to you all.

I recently had a visit from a motorsport journalist and he did an article on me and the car.

Please take a look here

#510 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:20 PM

Nice article, not what I was expecting! I thought/was hoping it would be an article written in the typical format by the author after interviewing/meeting with you and chatting for a bit - go into some of the more technical parts of the build specs, have them write about your vision for the vehicle in the second person. I think I was expecting this as I’m not really a fan of the interview question and answer format.

The car looks really mean with the stock front clip and bonnet fitted to it, I don’t recall seeing a pic like this previously.

From the article can we assume you’ll be painting it yourself too? Got any creative sign writing ideas for it?

Keep up the good work and all the best for 2022!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#511 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

Cheers Bennie,

Alek (the author) spent almost 4 hours in my garage talking with me about the car, he was probably overwhelmed with information so that's why the decision was made to do a series of articles. I think he will go into more detail with the future articles.

I'm doing what is known as a "dry build", this means I'm going to finish the car without any painting, just the primer I have been using so far to prevent surface rust. It will probably go to the dyno and a few track days like this. Once I am happy that everything works as intended the entire car will be stripped and everything will be painted or powder coated, maybe the exterior will be wrapped instead of paint though.

I do have some ideas for the final look but I also tend to change my mind often, you will have to wait and see.

Joel.

#512 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:24 AM

Great article Joel.

It's great to see your efforts acknowledged. I think Bennie is right, a little more tech would have been nice but we have your thread for that.

Keep up the great work!

Jase

#513 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:54 PM

I've made the lower mounting brackets for the intercooler and radiator combo. There will be some upper supports eventually too and these will form part of the structure that supports front aero and holds the bumper in place.

51885019033_c87b39acd1_c.jpg

You can see here how it fits with the bumper in place. There is a decent amount of space for ducting to bring the air out and over the motor as a hood exit.

51883974807_375aa94dfb_c.jpg

#514 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:17 PM

My initial thoughts were that it was way too forward, but those pics just show how far back the engine sits! It looks insane! I take it you'll be putting ducting in and around the coolers to try and ram as much air as you can through the coolers rather than letting it go round them?

Cheers,
Ben

#515 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:24 PM

Yes Ben, fully ducted in and out.

#516 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:25 PM

Oh snap! That's gonna be epic!
Keep the pics coming lol

Cheers,
Ben

#517 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 10:30 AM

There’s your luggage space between the engine and radiator :P

Looks good. There’s a mean lean on the rad and the intercooler that looks awesome! And the bodywork just finishes it all off neatly.

Love your work mate, keep it up!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#518 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 07:13 PM

Any time recently for working on this beast Joel?

Cheers,
Ben

#519 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 06:45 PM

Any time recently for working on this beast Joel?

Cheers,
Ben

Hey Ben,

Yes just some smaller jobs the past couple of weeks but this weekend I'm finishing most of the cooling system and I'll post up some photos soon.

cheers

Joel.

#520 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 07:38 PM

Sweet! Been following this thread. You're doing some amazing work!

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users