24 replies to this topic

#1 mdac

mdac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

Hi guys,

I got a bill in the mail claiming my car (as in my rego) was on a Sydney motorway just before Christmas. But for certain it wasn't me. An initial phone call revealed it was a .....coloured

Subaru ...., the same as mine!

What can I do? and this could happen again and again!

Any help appreciated.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

Dunno what you can do about it -- but find some hard evidence it wasn't you (get an image, show some evidence you were somewhere else) and send that to the toll collector, and more importantly, file a report with your local coppers.

The worry is it'll happen again at a speed trap or something more serious, and you'll have the fuzz banging on your door. Filing a report now will give some indication that it wosn't you that dun it.

#3 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Happens all the time. Dont worry about it.

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Yeah definitely start a "paper trail" about this issue.

If someone has got the same vehicle as you for some dodgy use and have seen your car with the rego number the police are going to have a difficult time chasing it down, especially with the new rego plate recognition technology as the plates will match the description of the vehicle they're one.

I'd ask for the physical evidence of that vehicle on the tollway - then look for physical differences between that vehicle and yours. Roof racks, spoilers, bumper stickers etc.

Or change your plates. In vic you can buy replacement plates for ~$50. Painful but necessary in a situation like that. Also make sure you report plate theft/plate ID theft to the police as well, otherwise they'll still come knocking on your door.

All the best with it. Not a great start to the new year :(

EDIT: Also ensure a mate didn't borrow your car!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#5 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

Request photo evidence of the driver's face.

#6 mdac

mdac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Thanks

I've got photos now of the car (thanks to the reasonable attitude of the toll company) and the plates look very genuine and are my rego number in NSW.

There are differences with the car though e.g. I don't have a sunroof. so I can substantiate that.

Have let the toll co. know so wait and see.

#7 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

As i said it happens all the time i wouldnt worry.

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

As i said it happens all the time i wouldnt worry.

Yeah true by you can't sit back and twiddle thumbs - otherwise it's your issue as its your rego... You need to be proactive on these things so they don't bite you or come back to bite later on.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

I wonder if the RMS would waive a new plate fee if you show them there's fraud involved ?

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

I wonder if the RMS would waive a new plate fee if you show them there's fraud involved ?

I would be asking them and expecting them to come to the party.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#11 mdac

mdac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

All my papers including the warranty are in the current rego so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change all that. I will see what the toll company decides as to my 'toll'.

#12 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'd be doing it anyway -- not only is there a risk to you (insurance, tolls, other criminal behaviour being traced back to you), but I'd prefer that an uninsured,. unregistered vehicle being driven by some lowlife is off the road (ie: picked up by a plate scanner the next time they drive past a cop car).

A new set of plates is less than $50.

#13 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

And as for your rego being registered with warranty, insurance etc. It's not your rego that matters, it's your VIN. I've swapped plates plenty of times and called up insurance companies etc and they say it's good to notify them of a plate swap but doesn't really effect the insurance. Nor should it effect warranty, the dealership will have your VIN on file.

I'd talk to RMS and possibly the cops as well, get new plates and know that you're safe.

#14 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I dont see what your all fussing about. Its pretty simple to comprehend that plate for example ABC123 can be in allocated to a different car in every state.

Theres no issues you tell the toll company it wasnt you and you write a stat dec issue resolved.

The cameras missread all the time aswell so for example ABC123 always gets mixed up as ABC128.

Cops wont give a shit its a clerical error no criminal offence

#15 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

Either way personally I wouldn't want to run the risk in the went that they are doing something illegal with a set of identical plates...

My 20c worth on the matter.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#16 bluebrz

bluebrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Two door cars / cycling / fishing

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

I would report it to the police.

The rego plates were stolen off my corolla and used in a drive by shooting!

#17 mdac

mdac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Did they come knocking with a SWAT team?

#18 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

I dont see what your all fussing about. Its pretty simple to comprehend that plate for example ABC123 can be in allocated to a different car in every state.

Haha what!? No there is actually an allocation system to ensure no 2 number plates are the same in Australia. Otherwise everyone would be going through this false toll/speed camera stuff atleast once a year. And what are the chances the almost exact car has the exact plates? Ignoring the fact that dealerships get a bunch of plates that are in sequence, these are exact copies not ABC123 and ABC124.

#19 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Haha what!? No there is actually an allocation system to ensure no 2 number plates are the same in Australia. Otherwise everyone would be going through this false toll/speed camera stuff atleast once a year. And what are the chances the almost exact car has the exact plates? Ignoring the fact that dealerships get a bunch of plates that are in sequence, these are exact copies not ABC123 and ABC124.

Nope theres no system like that in aus. Pretty sure theres on 04FOZZ in nsw, vic and qld atm

#20 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Nope theres no system like that in aus. Pretty sure theres on 04FOZZ in nsw, vic and qld atm

Nope, 04FOZZ isn't a valid plate in Qld unless it was fully custom, which is about $3k. QLD only do AAA123 AAA12 or 1 AAA 1 in the regular personalised plate range, or you can get 123AAA as standard issue Also Jamie's plates are 04-F0ZZ, with a divider. Sure Vic might have something similar but not the exact same eg. 04FO22.

But I digress, my point was this incident wasn't a coincidence, it appears an intentional act of deception, in which case getting plates swapped is imperative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users