42 replies to this topic

#21 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

I was actually suprised how difficult it was to find one of these in good condition. It's easy to forget the timeless shape of these is getting on 13 years old now. That said, they still manage to hold value so well, especially in manual. IF you can find one.

It was sad to see a fair few MY06+ facelift wagons (in 6MT!) so poorly looked after. Some of them already had bad paint fade, totally scuffed up interiors, scratched and touch parked bumpers. You would think for a somewhat near on $60k car new, people would look after them a bit better.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#22 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

I was actually suprised how difficult it was to find one of these in good condition. It's easy to forget the timeless shape of these is getting on 13 years old now. That said, they still manage to hold value so well, especially in manual. IF you can find one.

It was sad to see a fair few MY06+ facelift wagons (in 6MT!) so poorly looked after. Some of them already had bad paint fade, totally scuffed up interiors, scratched and touch parked bumpers. You would think for a somewhat near on $60k car new, people would look after them a bit better.

Common folk are mostly plebs

tIeW8DE.png

#23 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

I find that with so many second hand Subarus. People just don't care.

The rear wing and garnish between the reverse lights cop bad fading. I'm assuming because it's plastic rather than metal like the rest of the roof/tailgate.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#24 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Jimbo! Looks like a great purchase! Premium model looks minters

And kinda glad you didn't end replacing the GTB with an XR5 :-D

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#25 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

Jimbo! Looks like a great purchase! Premium model looks minters

And kinda glad you didn't end replacing the GTB with an XR5 :-D

It had crossed my mind but the 2008+ models are still fetching a bit of coin. Not only that but they're expensive when they have to start going to stealerships for things you can't DIY.

Obviously went down the Suby path again as servicing it is piss easy, even major services................when your putting the right bolts back in, of course *tugs collar*

#26 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

................when your putting the right bolts back in, of course *tugs collar*

"...something about Edison cleverly discovering ways to not make a light bulb"

#27 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Oh and I've been busting to ask - thoughts on TT vs. T?

#28 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Oh and I've been busting to ask - thoughts on TT vs. T?

Bar supercharging (hah geddit?) I've now owned all of Subaru's different combinations of forced induction. This is my 3rd single turbo ('92 GX>WRX conversion and MY07 Liberty GTspecB prior) and I've had the 2x TT's (Gen2 and 3 GTB's) and I would say the twin scroll turbo of this one meets them all in the middle for tractability.

I love the way the TT system works but the advantages can be outweighed by the extra maintenance and the when-shit-goes-wrong-it-goes-REALLY-wrong. The TT is super responsive down low and then you can really stretch its legs out on the highway as you know. But with TT's as mentioned, it's the headaches (sometimes) and getting it running 110% plus there's such a narrow scope of modifying them, though, I think they're best enjoyed stock.

With the bigger single scroll turbo's I've had (Gen4 GTspecB and my old GX wagon conversion) there's stacks of torque and top end but they're not as zippy in the sub 3000rpm band compared to a TT. Though the 2.5 in the GTspecB made up for that a little bit with a bit of extra down low, compared to a big turbo on a 2.0 (GX conversion).

Then there's this. This has a twin scroll turbo setup so it runs an equal length exhaust manifold and the exhaust turbine housing actually has 2 exhaust gas inlets. It's basically so the turbo has the best possible ability of harnessing as much exhaust gas across the RPM band. It allows better response at the lower end and still allow a balanced mix of power everywhere else. It's not quite as zippy as the TT but it gets the power coming on a bit quicker than my GTspecB did (which went back to single scroll turbo for our market).

The only real drawback to the twin scroll turbo is that they're expensive to replace and It seems they can go blammo when you start wicking more boost through them. Also being equal length exhaust manifolds, you lose the "boxer rumble" but it still sounds allright.

#29 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

You're certainly an EJ connoisseur! That's really interesting reading. Thanks for taking the time. I was surprised to read you praise the TT on primary! Very cool. Is there much between Gen2 and Gen3 TT? And I hear you about stock seems to be the way to go. Aftermarket support seems rare and expensive, and there's so many stories of guys chasing their tails replacing so many sensors etc.

PS. TIme to add a line to your sig block my friend

#30 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

I think Gen2 GTB is a bit more aggressive and has a slight weight advantage, whereas Gen3 is a touch more refined and luxo.

The Gen2 GTB is pretty much a V3 STI underneath the skin, same gearbox/diff same engine (EJ20R) just with the TT setup and I'm pretty sure the cam profiles are marginally different.

The Gen3 GTB TT set-up (A-C) is essentially unchanged from Gen2 GTB. Obviously different turbos and some minor revisions. I think the engines (EJ206/8) are a bit more forgiving as well, as EJ20R's (Gen2) love to toast bearings where it
seems pretty uncommon to hear about Gen3 GTB engines doing bearings (JDM stuff at least).

I think in the transition from Gen2 to 3, the idea was to make it more refined and less balls to the wall than Gen2, even though they make the same power (MT/AT respective).

I'll always have a soft spot for a good TT :D

#31 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:57 PM

Looks nice and clean Jimbo.

Not to bad @ all for a dirty old gen4.

#32 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

GG Jimbo :)

I guess you changed for the reliability :)

#33 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

Looks very nice buddy....

#34 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

I love the way the TT system works but the advantages can be outweighed by the extra maintenance and the when-shit-goes-wrong-it-goes-REALLY-wrong.

The primary has an ability to trick you into thinking you're driving a V6. It spools up so early and its always there when you need it. However there is that speed hump on the way - if the planets have aligned you might see the advertised power output. I have nostalgic moments about the B4 regularly. It was slower and had less luxuries, but I loved it.

Both of mine have been auto. I've still not been in a twin scroll. The FA20DIT is direct injected and the turbo is mounted under the engine on equal length headers. It has very negligible lag. I've neither had a Subaru with the 'boxer rumble' or a mañuel. There is a lot to love about being able to make reliable power.

#35 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

Seeing how many posts about how much each TT does in boost levels, I reckon no 2 are the same! Very rewarding when they're working properly.

Twin scroll is great, gives a nice gentle shove down low and really gets moving once you wind it out. It's actually alot quicker than I thought it would be. I guess most of the vanilla one's you see on the road aren't driven very hard so you never notice! Not to mention most of the Gen4's on the forums are SpecB post facelifts.

Loving it all so far!

Once the little guy is born and a routine has set in, I'll start hopefully adding a few little nice things to it. Would love some twin tip mufflers just to break the mould a little bit to make it look a little less pedestrian.

#36 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Have you test fitted a capsule yet?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#37 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Added some spicy mods...

BcIDivr.jpg

Grabbed me some new floor mats too, courtesy of custom_carmats on eBay.. Couldn't stand the OEM option rubber one's that came with the car. Though it might be handy to leave one of the rubber ones on the floor under the capsule so it catches all the junk the little wanker is bound to drop everywhere.

40ADz06.jpg

#38 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Does the baby seat clear brembos?

#39 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

couple of tips.

Put something under the kiddy seat -- having it strapped down there 24/7 will dent the leather (shit - it dented the cloth seats in my N14 pulsar!)
Also good to catch the inevitable goobers.

Stick a rubber mat on that floor when you move to a front-facing seat. The floor _will_ have all sorts of half-digested things fall on it.

#40 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Sweet tips Dunc. I figured I would keep the rubber mats for that exact purpose (+beach days etc). You can't really tell as its hard to see, but the seat came with a seat protector mat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users