• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

My car is already pretty stiff thanks to sway bars and reinforcement, but my shocks and springs are stock. Around the track I've got a problem with the front dipping in and the rear inside wheel lifting up onto a tripod.

I'm looking for a good compromise between daily and track use. First I looked at coilovers but I'm looking for best bang for buck and I'm not sure my wife will appreciate me spending that much. Instead I've found some STi pink springs at a reasonable price from Japan. They will lower the car by an inch.

These sound like a good compromise to me, any advice or thoughts?

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#2 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

According to the fine print the price I was looking at was for a single spring... who buys a single spring? Surely they would come in pairs or sets.

#3 cowie165

cowie165

Garage 改善

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hi Luke. I've been down the same road. Had standard bilsteins (130,000km). Happy, drove well. Bilsteins with STI springs (unk kms). Happier. Noticeable improvement in cornering, same ride quality. Couple of months ago I fitted Bilstein coilovers (40,000km). VERY happy. Firmer but still so comfortable. No jarring. Turn in is great. No slushy body roll around corners.

No, I'm not a suspension guy. This is all bum dyno on public roads. STI springs is, as you say, a good compromise. But man, I LOVE these coilovers and would not like to go back.

I bought my bilsteins with stis springs for just under $400 delivered from YJP. I sold my original suspension to Pat and I think we did business for $250. So it's a low changeover price. Plenty of BE9 drivers around to take your bilstein setup.

Mark

"Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure."

BH9 02-05 / BD9 07-14 / BE5 14-> / GGA 18->

2001 Legacy B4-RSK / 1999 ZX-9R C2

#4 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

That sounds great. Might have to track down some Bilsteins coilovers as this isn't the first I've heard good things about them and at that price they sound like what I want. Know of any for sale?

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

I bought a set of really low km bilstien struts with the STi springs for the B4 ages ago. Never looked back. Firmer but still comfortable. Will have my set from the B4 up for sale in the next month or 2. Probably got 50 - 60k on them by now.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

When you sell those springs and struts let me know.

#7 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

No dramas at all man. Will do.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users