26 replies to this topic

#21 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

Subaru diagnostic tool: SSM (Subaru Select Monitor)

http://freessm.software.informer.com/

http://www.subaruout...ur-ecm-tcu.html

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#22 ukscoobyguy

ukscoobyguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

When I had a 173 via manual diagnosis the code thrown via obdII was p1241 which means there is a problem with the primary turbo. It might be worth simply watching the iacv when the car is started as it should close under vacuum when the engine is idling. (With the engine off it returns to open). Or you could connect the green plugs under the dash, start the engine and see if the iacv and ecv operate as expected. It's 7 second intervals for the ecv and 2 for the iacv.
if the valve operates correctly, then chances are your ecv is open slightly leaking the gases needed to spool up the primary and causing your issues, since the iacv will still be closed until 4000+ rpm If that's the cause you just need to tighten the ecv adjustment rod by loosening the lock nut and turning the rod to the left.

#23 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Nice to see you are still kicking around, Zanzarah!

May as well check all the BBOD solenoids while you are at it.
The error code is 173 to me, I've been on many goose chases in the past relying on codes from the green plug diagnostics. I don't trust the process TBH.

173 would point me to a maf sensor problem.

#24 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

When I had a 173 via manual diagnosis the code thrown via obdII was p1241 which means there is a problem with the primary turbo. It might be worth simply watching the iacv when the car is started as it should close under vacuum when the engine is idling. (With the engine off it returns to open). Or you could connect the green plugs under the dash, start the engine and see if the iacv and ecv operate as expected. It's 7 second intervals for the ecv and 2 for the iacv.
if the valve operates correctly, then chances are your ecv is open slightly leaking the gases needed to spool up the primary and causing your issues, since the iacv will still be closed until 4000+ rpm If that's the cause you just need to tighten the ecv adjustment rod by loosening the lock nut and turning the rod to the left.

That would make sense as the IACV has no vac and is open all the time.
I'm under the impression the ECV & IACV use stored vacuum to operate. With engine running some vacuum may be created and cause the ECV and IACV to move as you described, I don't know. That would explain why he is getting some boost at times.

I did interpret the Iknguyen's first post as the ECV not moving during diagnostics which lead me to the vacuum storage diagnosis.
In my mind, the tank not holding vacuum is a big issue.

#25 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

I'd be interested to know what the car does boost wise after 6000rpm when all the TT Components have finished their jobs.

#26 lknguyen

lknguyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

Wow, the response to my problem is amazing. Thank you all so much but I have figured it with your suggestions and a boost-knowledgeable local legend here in Calgary.

The answer to my problem was indeed a MASSIVE BOOST LEAK because my friend found a massive hose connecting the Vacuum Canister was disconnected after inspecting every line (and finding it in great condition) except for the one inside the fender on the passenger side. I am a little angry I didn't check there sooner. He said it was hanging there so he plugged it back in, and now the primary turbo is boosting again 11+ psi on 3500rpm (I got to get a better non-ebay boost gauge to accurately measure!)

@ukscoobyguy;

You are right on the money. The flashing CEL gave me a 173 code, however when my friend hooked his expensive OBD2 code scanner into it, it gave a P1241 which was something going on with the primary turbo. I don't know if the flashing CEL code pattern was in THAT way because the REV D model I have was OBD2 compliant and others who gave a more "traditional" code weren't? I am not sure. However if someone else has a flashing 173 code and haven't hooked in a OBD2 scanner, it may correlate to a P1241 code?

@Kong

There was no hissing in Line 1 but after he reconnected the big hose to the vacuum canister, there was hissing. You were right that there is something going on with the vacuum. I should have checked more closer to the vacuum canister like you suggested much earlier.

To everyone, thank you for taking the time for helping me and making me learn more about the car! I hope this can help others and I'll post my car once I fix the little things up and make her more 'presentable'.

#27 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Glad it turned out to be something simple.

Enjoy your boost!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users