#1 PeterWRX

PeterWRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Mountain biking, swimming

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hi

Not sure if its a coincidence: air con compressor failure after gearbox release bearing replaced.

So, whenever I pressed or release the clutch on my manual WRX there was a squeak.

Eventually Subaru dealer replaced "gearbox release bearing" with code on receipt: SU30502AA120 BGR-CLUTCH REL.

Two weeks later (like today), my air con is making a hideous noise which I've been told (at Air Con repair shop) that its the air con compressor bearing which means the whole compressor needs replaced at over $1600 just for the part.

https://youtu.be/MgUPpLf7XHw

Noise starts at 13 seconds and stops when I turn off AC at 32 seconds.

So, my question - is this just a coincidence?

What should I do

Cheers

Peter

Brisbane, Australia

#2 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

I think they aren't exactly giving you a fair quote on that part.

I'd just buy a used one for under $250:

https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

Otherwise if wanting to get it new, it's looking like you can find them from America for $700AUD.
Buy the part yourself and when it arrives have them install it.

Coincidence, I think yes.

Simply because one of the parts is on the top front of the engine and the other part is at the back of the engine.

They probably dropped the gearbox to fix the release bearing and wouldn't have had to touch the ac compressor.

#3 PeterWRX

PeterWRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Surge

Would the belt have been removed when gearbox came out?

Peter

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Surge

Would the belt have been removed when gearbox came out?

Peter

No it doesnt need to be

tIeW8DE.png

#5 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

tenor.gif

I'd be asking Subaru first.. warranty.. It's not exactly an uncommon part and its on top of the engine. Sounds to me like they saw you coming. Mr fancy pants in his WRX wants cold air in the Summer.

The brand appears to be Valeo, part number varies 73111VA000 / 73111VA001. Double check the part number for our AU model (usually the same as the JDM part numbers). But it looks like the same part to me.

I also noticed there isn't a lot of difference between the WRX FA20DIT series and the FB20 series (Impreza/Forester/XV), which is 73111FJ000 / 73111FJ040. Literally just looks like a mounting bracket difference and someone forgot to finish painting it. The brackets look interchangeable. Would be curious to know if its the same specs and would work.. but being a WRX you probably want the original part. The BRZ/86 FA20 has a different unit, that one is Denso.

Edit: Using Amayama as a reference, they are literally $1600 from Australia, $1200 from Japan. Used is the way to go.

Double check the belt tensioner, plastic ones fail easily. I believe its beside the A/C compressor on the left..

#6 PeterWRX

PeterWRX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:00 AM

So, I've been told its probably the AC compressor clutch bearing which could be replaced.

Subaru dealer however thinks there are 2 noises and have recommended whole compressor be replaced. We have come to an agreement about costs and hope to have this done in a few weeks once the part arrives from Japan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MY15, WRX, A/C, gearbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users