Photo

Slipping out of 3rd and 4th at light cruise

Gearbox Liberty gearbox slip out of gear gear slip 3rd 4th gears?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

Gen 3 Liberty RX EJ251 5spd manual, 418,000km, still pulling like a freight train.

The issue reported from my sister (her Liberty) is that at light cruise speeds around town the gearbox will slip out of 3rd and 4th. It initially started out with only skipping out of 4th. Its now progressed to 3rd.

It does all country kms and she doesnt rest her hand on the gearstick when she drives.

Im thinking it could be a broken/worn dedent spring on the 3rd/4th selector shaft. Dad mentioned today that it could be the gearbox mount as the gearstick moves forward/backwards when you let on and off the throttleor vice versa.

Anyone got any other thoughts on what I could be? Its easy to think its mounts after 418k km. Engine will be coming out shortly so Id like to button this issue up while everything is apart.

It also stalls when slowing into take a corner through an intersection if you let revs drop too far between gear changes. Is this just the IACV doing stupid stuff or is it :fork:d? No clheck engine light and Im yet to check for codes before pulling the battery.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

My guess is too much end float on 3&4 mainshaft gears or worn selector sleeve springs.
I'm thinking the box needs to come apart. Is it worth putting in a second hand unit with less kms?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

It probably is worth putting a second hand gearbox in - and it wouldn’t be hard to do, plus I’ve got one wait so I might as well go for it.

The other thing that swayed me to swap the box was a bearing noise when driving it. I can hear it in neutral with the clutch engaged, in high and low range but not when I’m in neutral between high and low range with clutch engaged. So it’s deeper in the box than just an input shaft bearing - which I was hoping would be the culprit.

With the engine out (doing HGs, cam belt etc) I found the spigot bearing was totally shagged. Only had five balls left in the bearing, no dust cover, no lube... and it didn’t make any noise in the car either.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

Jase, you were spot on the money - too much end float in the upper shaft. Issue was a dead/dying bearing between 4th and 5th gears.

The replacement box had a dead centre diff, so now it’s time for surgery to make one good box from two. Front diff bearings will be replaced while I’m in there. I split the front cases to check things out - it all looks good.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:27 PM

Glad to hear you have it well sorted!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gearbox, Liberty gearbox, slip out of gear, gear slip, 3rd, 4th, gears?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users