2006 STI Front and Rear subframes

Spec C FE550 2.2 steering rack + column modified to suit

Wheels/Tyres/Suspension

2006 STI Enkei stockies

2006 STI rear alloy arms 

2006 STI front alloy arms

MCA Street performance coilovers

HEL Braided brake lines

2006 STI front and rear sway bars and upgraded sway bar mounts.

2006 STI brake master, abs, lines modified to suit (bent)

Whiteline bump steer kit

Exhaust

3" Xforce downpipe

3" Fujitsubo stainless exhaust

PSR uel headers + up pipe

Interior

2006 STI dash retrofit with AC Evap/Heater core with takata grenade delete

2006 STI steering wheel with airbag delete

2006 STI front and rear seats

2006 STI dccd cluster

Exterior/Other

Version 6 STI rear boot

Version 6 STI tail lights

Version 6 STI bonnet

2006 STI Fuel Tank and Filler Neck

Few dents

Recently acquired this 1996 WRX in bright red, apart from roof fade the car is in pretty good condition. The old 20G has the usual piston slap but drives nicely, and the only other issues include a noisy wheel bearing, some gearbox squeak and some interior wear and tear. The idea was to try and source a cheap low kms 207 half-cut and swap over all the good bits and make a reliable + fun track car, but the price for a cut was almost 3x the cost of the car!

tXAAsCk.jpg

qKVqwGS.jpg

Instead of going JDM halfcut, I looked at a local MY06 STI being wrecked. If I could sell all the STI goodies that weren't usable, I'd have more parts than the half cut (minus 207, plus 257) at a fraction of the cost. The doors, bootlid+spoiler, bumper and bonnet sold almost straight away clearing up some space in the garage!

R2P1vdj.jpg

1Bpp0ME.jpg

4zj7E60.jpg

First thing was draining all the liquids, pulling off all the bits in the bay and then removing the interior. The seats were in great condition, just in need of a steam clean. The fronts should bolt straight into the 96 and the rear can be persuaded to fit, so keeping these and will probably sell the cards. I have also kept the entire dash to see if its possible to drop that into the 96 (have seen it done with some success in the US). Removed the takata grenade from the passenger side, still need to figure out what to do with that. Also the car had a brembo space saver which was a nice bonus, along with the boot mounted intercooler water sprayer and a rear diffuser.

r0GzJmZ.jpg

QmyTnsf.jpg

1SGpZpR.jpg

lREPOAl.jpg

Next i put the car up on stands and started removing the rear end, apart from being coated in dust, the calipers look to be in great condition, the bottom suspension strut bolts were stuck to the max (sheared off a 3/8" extension on these) so will need to get some new ones, but I'll be getting some GD style coilovers and swapping on the GC top hats anyway. The diff and shafts were clean and came out without any issues. I'll be comparing the GC and GD rear subframe and seeing if theres much difference.

wIgOTQ2.jpg

b9lPA1r.jpg

Pulled off the downpipe next and discovered that the car had a 3" stainless exhaust from the turbo back. Extra win as that will sell for a bit of cash. Apart from that, everything on the car was stock. Next I pulled the manifold/tgvs off and disconnected the loom from the engine, undid the mounts and gearbox bolts/nuts and pulled the engine out. It looks like the pressure plate is brand new, previous owner said the new clutch had only been in there for about a month prior to the hit.

bmPERE1.jpg

plPbO0w.jpg

OBrabtw.jpg

Next to do is drop the gearbox and start pulling apart the WRX. May be a bit of a wait while I get some fab work done on the Outback, but while I wait for parts to arrive for that I have something to pull apart and play with. Also picked up some goodies for the WRX from import monster.

uUYFtxA.jpg

3Kc3gRI.jpg

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Nice scores there mate!

I like the pace you move at - and the garage space you have to do it in, it looks pretty spacious and neat too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 sub813

sub813

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

the gd sub frame is better also the pickups are 10mm higher allowing for more lows with better geometry.

also envious of garage space

#4 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

Cheers guys, haven't been moving quickly lately, but hopefully will get a move on in the next few weeks.

Have now started pulling apart the WRX too, the oil came out looking great, and the right amount. The coolant wasn't so good, it looks like maybe someone topped up the radiator with oil by mistake, so not sure how good the motor is.  :sarcastic:

XPqm0M5.jpg

7rquWkF.jpg

Once that was out, I test fitted a TT radiator I had sitting around, I had a look on some of the US forums and have seen GD radiators + fans and overflows fitted, but the clearance is pretty small. Should be able to make the TT rad work if I can source the over-radiator metal pipe, the GD one doesn't line up, the issue may be the clearances.

Also looked at fitting the AC condenser from the GD into the GC, this would let me use the entire GD AC system rather than trying to use a mix of the two. It looks like i'll have to add two bottom holes and make up some small brackets, but it physically fits which is good.

p0S63DL.jpg

jOppDFr.jpg

JGVmxmH.jpg

Also pulled the r180 and rear subframe from the GD, both were pretty dirty but the diff oil looked pretty clean. 

35LLMZw.jpg

OmYWtl2.jpg

After that I removed most of the junk in the bay, just need to remove the box bolts and engine mounts and the 20G will be out. After that I pulled the dash / steering column and had a look at the dash beams, they are pretty similar, so it should be do-able to swap the dash from the GD in. The only ugly bit will be cutting some new holes in the firewall for the heater hoses and AC lines. The other issue will be fitting the DBW pedal as the mounts are different.

A0IBJqh.jpg

yAowRNy.jpg

wEYMHvC.jpg

Next up will be pulling the box and rest of loom from the GD shell, the steering rack and the arms. Finish pulling the 20G and start playing around with fitting the GD dash.

Will also take a look at fitting the roof spoiler and rear diffuser onto the GC, maybe the I/C water sprayer later on.

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

yeah mad

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Had some extra help over the last week so we managed to get a fair bit done! Pulled the gearbox from the 06 and fitted a group N gearbox mount, the standard STI one was pretty flexible.

zJIOdfP.jpg

lWBsdrg.jpg

Then we pulled everything from the GC8. Once that was just a shell we pulled the fuel tank from the STI. Found a bosch 044 fuel pump in the tank so thats a bonus, we swapped in the GD fuel tank which was a bit of a mission, and needed a few lines moved around and modified, also swapped over the STI filler neck.

To fit the rear charcoal canister we needed to swap in the GD swaybar mounts, apart from that it mounts exactly the same as in the GD.

qJGHsag.jpg

D88UwI6.jpg

Y2nLjM3.jpg

After the tanks were swapped we started pulling the motor and 5 speed out of the GC8. One of the boots was torn and the passenger axle was stuck in the gearbox because the roll pin was destroyed, instead of spending all day on that we dropped the gearbox under the car and pulled it out through the wheel well with the shaft still in. Next we pulled out the front subframe, we swapped this to the GD one so we could use the STI steering rack. We dropped in the new subframe, rack, alloy arms and the swaybar.

DtUGU5L.jpg

ZNNaCnl.jpg

zXxhOwx.jpg

Finally pulled the loom from the GD. Has a fair bit of weight to it, next up will be pulling the GC loom and seeing how easy it'll be to throw in the newer one. Also took apart the front end and removed the bumper and flares. Slowly getting there!

ItVauwf.jpg

02yUQIs.jpg

Qa4gFlU.jpg

#7 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Small progress update, fitted the GD shifter linkage and hand brake, all lines up except for one bolt. Can't see it being an issue but will allow me to run the centre from the GD.

Tried fitting the brake pedal, but noticed it was quite a bit off. Took a look back in the GD and the mount for the pedals is fairly different. I drilled out the spot welds for both and will fit the GD one instead.

Fitted the GD master cylinder and the GD abs. Everything seems to fit with a bit of line bending, but the brake cylinder stopper from the GD doesn't fit the GC so I ordered a replacement bracket from Amayama ($10 or so).

aYIi1kr.jpg

PALa1BS.jpg

BxKiHl2.jpg

Next up I worked on fitting the rest of the driveline, the first part was installing the diff carrier and the rear subframe. These went in without any issues. After that the r180 went in, the shafts went back in and eventually the rear hubs. Was a fairly annoying job having to re-install the hand brake shoes and do the adjustment, but it seems to be close now.

After that I fit the new MCA coilovers and calipers and started on the front.

I switched the ABS sensors over from the GD to the GC, these are basically identical but have a different plug and sit in a different bracket, so i swapped the GC bracket onto the GD abs lines and plugged them into the hubs. After that I fitted some HEL braided lines all around and fitted the front calipers. The car will now roll around, but I'll leave it on stands while I make sure everything is torqued up.

YYr5X8y.jpg

wBgrkkO.jpg

Next i put the engine up on a stand so it can be serviced and I can swap the headers/up-pipe easily, delete the TGVs and secondary air pump. Also decided to paint the manifold at this stage since it looked pretty average. Waiting on a few parts from overseas before I can drop the engine back in. But hopefully they'll be here in the next couple of weeks, which gives me some time to work on the dash swap.

On their way in the order is some TGV deletes, blanking plates for the secondary air pump ports in the heads, turbo inlet hose (factory one was split) and some bits to get it serviced.

Also picked up a 2014+ sti intercooler from Wob.

HzhSU4S.jpg

xhTXb0o.jpg

Also picked up some cheap auction goodies which have arrived, will probably be a while before these go in though.

k1s5pSy.jpg

dKj8wHh.jpg

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Neato

tIeW8DE.png

#9 GNGBNG

GNGBNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

Great work.

Will be a sweet thing to drive. Will it be much lighter?

#10 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Don't think it'll lose much weight, the 6 speed feels about 30kg heavier so it'll probably go up a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users