• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Source article HERE Note: This only apply's to NSW at this point.

"From August 1, car owners will be limited to raising or lowering their suspension by no more than five centimetres, and all modifications will need approval from Roads and Traffic Authority engineers. Currently, a car can be raised or lowered by up to five centimetres without approval and by up to 15 centimetres with approval."

I wasn't aware that car's became more dangerous when they're lowered?

"Raising or lowering a vehicle's height can put the driver, passengers and other road users at risk. It can affect handling, braking and safety features such as electronic stability control."

Anyone have an opinion on this? (stupid question)

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

i was under the impression that lowering would enhance handling?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

Apparently it puts the driver and passengers and other road users at risk...

...OF DEATH!!!!!!

...sorry, i'm just trying to have the same dramatic effect the politicians must have when they explain how lowered cars are the devil.

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

hahaha ha

i was also under the impression that getting behind the wheel was one of the most dangerous things you can do...
sif lowering it is going to make any difference...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

Just new legislations to keep people in jobs

#6 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

it can if not done correctly

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#7 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

That seem to be the debate here. As far as i'm aware - chopped springs are already illegal, aren't they? This new law won't affect anyone with chopped springs, this only affects lowered/raised(read:4wd's) car's that have been done professionally and properly. I'm all for slapping a defect on a fully sik VL with chopped springs, but this will affect quite a few people here too.

#8 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

Yeah lowering can make it more dangerous, but only if it is seriously low. B)
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#9 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

factory car makers offer lowered springs from the factory.

MY07 GT spec B

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

relax you skirts. this shit will die down eventually. shane's on the money here. government is just cracking down on makita spec suspension. so unless you're retarded or you're lebspecliberty, you'll be fine.

#11 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hahaha. Lower doesn't = faster... Most of the time it just means the ride quality is SHIT!
TSM

#12 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

+1 for Alex's description.....makita spec suspension, I like :-) Seriously though, yeh, can be pretty dangerous if not done properly, suspension travel is actually needed,especially if you live in the part of the country with the shitest roads ever, I'm surprised my Legacy is still in one piece, even my Patrol hurts on some of the so called 'roads' Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#13 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

Haha... If it'll stop d**kheads from crossing speed humps sideways - I'm all for it :) Likewise for the people who have to slam their brakes on at the sight of a small pothole. But correct me if I'm wrong - don't laws already exist that make modifying a car without some form of RTA approval illegal? I think Brendan may be right - its just to keep people in a job ;)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#14 lebspec_liberty

lebspec_liberty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Working on cars in general<br />Cruising

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

its dangerous to drive a lowered car.. go get ultimate suspension set up you need to look at the cars center of gravity if you lower the car past the cars centre of gravity the performance of the cars suspension will actually be worse than standard.. oh and i got pulled over once and the cop said its because if you get a flat tyre anything under the the car will scrape on the road and flip the car.. (maybe if your tailshaft isnt on properly) if you can only lower it 5 cm there isnt any point of lowering it at all coz it wont look any different..
LEB SPEC Gen 2 Rx AWD
Jap Spec EJ25 - 6000k hid kit headlights and fog lights - Leather interior - 18" incubus rims - Super low suspension - Turbo Bonnet - 2.5 inch catback with cannon - front mounted 6x9"s connected to amp - 2 x 12" fusion subs - Pioneer head deck. + turbo timer just because i had one lol

#15 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

If that's your car in that avatar. GTFO. That car is gay.
TSM

#16 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

its dangerous to drive a lowered car..

go get ultimate suspension set up you need to look at the cars center of gravity if you lower the car past the cars centre of gravity the performance of the cars suspension will actually be worse than standard..

oh and i got pulled over once and the cop said its because if you get a flat tyre anything under the the car will scrape on the road and flip the car.. (maybe if your tailshaft isnt on properly)

if you can only lower it 5 cm there isnt any point of lowering it at all coz it wont look any different..

Righto.....................

I don't think I've owned a car that wasn't lowered, and I don't consider any of them to be dangerous. In fact I believe it made them safer do to the fact it increased the mechanical grip. They were all lowered SENSIBLY, not dragging on the ground with ultra super duper low springs.

No lower than the center of gravity? Im having a little trouble with this. Wouldn't the COG also go down as the suspension height is lowered? Perhaps you mean 'polar moment of inertia'?

I would think that if your tailshaft wasn't on properly you may notice a mild vibration.

Remember 5cm=50mm=2inch I think it would look different. Not everyone lowers a car for looks alone, some have discovered that it will improve the cars handling.

My 2c.

J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#17 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

i was annoyed about this, until i looked at a ruler, 5cm is 2" how many people lower their car more then that? and then a limit of 15cm with an approval, (15cm is 6") isn't really that bad. i mean who seriously lowers their car 6"?? so this really doesn't bother me or 99% of us :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#18 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Read something interesting in a magazine once. Was a suspension guide. MIGHT of been in Zoom. Anyway, they said that lowering your car with just springs is actually detremental because the roll centre isthrown out because the car was designed for the standard ride height blah blah blah. The only reason the car handles slightly better is because the springs are much stiffer to counter the messed up roll centre. Food for thought.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

he speakes troofs. its not just about lowering. its all about associated LEGIT suspension mods.

#20 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

What other mods wiould you need to do to do the job properly Alex? Stuff like the whiteline roll centre adjustment id assume but are there any others?

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users