Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#281 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 September 2023 - 10:20 AM

Well, managed to get out and do some more stripping Saturday night and Sunday afternoon while Seb was asleep. Have gotten the interior to the point where most things are now removed. 

Parcel shelf is gone, as are all the seatbelts, Speakers (inc. mac 6x9 sub) are 90% removed. Front passenger side is the last corner to go. Roof lining, A, B and C pillar trims are removed, Radio amplifier is disconnected and removed as well. Child restraints from the parcel shelf are also gone. Put the 2 screw mounts and cover back over the fuel pump/sender assembly (we removed this one when we did the GX conversion, as the GX one didn't want to come out, and was forcibly removed...)

Got rid of any easily removable brackets etc while I was there, things like the snap lock for the ski port door on the back seat, brackets over the fuel lines/cables, and centre console brackets.

Will be finishing off the front doors and then starting to tidy up the wiring this week, but I'll probably pull this off the hoist on friday so I can put GX30 onto it for the front LCA swap.

Been looking at seats, harnesses etc over the last couple of days. So far looking down the barrel of about $2k, excluding cage, which I'll need to get done locally, as the Cusco Safety 21 bolt-in cages available in Japan don't meet CAMS regulations (Main hoops aren't big enough diameter). Would have been easy if they did...

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#282 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

Mate a welded in cage is so much better and makes more sense in a dedicated track car compared to a street driven race car!

Also make sure the cage builder is CAMS certified, I’m 99% sure that’s a thing…

Sounds like it’s all coming together!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#283 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 10:09 PM

Well, interior is now completely stripped out, got into the shed this evening and removed the last door card and speakers. Removed all the tools out of the inside of the car and then shut the doors. Also fitted the zerosports stainless intake tube between the inlet tract and the MAF tube. Then went over the suspension adjustment nuts and double checked they were all tight. Next step is to put some wheels back on her and get her out of the shed... I'd say take her for a drive, but I'm a ways away from doing that, and Mr plod might get a tad upset if I was to do it. I'm tossing up the idea of putting the door cards back on beforehand as it does hide the bare doors which look ugly as all sin, and the cards probably only weigh about a kilo or 2 for all 4. Torn there.

Yea, I agree Bennie, they are the bees knees, but main issue with the weld in cage is money, as I'd need to pay someone to fit it. Whereas the bolt in ones I can fit myself. While I'm capable with a welder, I would not trust myself to do something associated with safety like a cage.

I'll get a couple photos once I'm back in there, but there's really not much to see, just a stripped out interior. Still got the heater box and blower to come out as well, but that's a little down the track.

Cheers,
Ben

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#284 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 September 2023 - 10:10 AM

Id defs run the front door cards at least. As you said the 1kg weight will make no difference but stop you slicing your self open on a door

tIeW8DE.png

#285 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:21 PM

Attached File  s-l1200.jpg   204.18KB   0 downloads

sheet of glass, some carbon & epoxy, voila!

#286 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:34 PM

I wonder if scrutineering would let you through with no door cards?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#287 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 09:01 PM

Probably not Jase, I was planning initially to make some up out of sheet metal, but the more I think about that, the more I think that they'll probably weigh about the same as the stock cards, so why bother reinventing the wheel...

If I was half way skilled with fibreglass, I'd probably do something like that Duncan, but I'm green as green when it comes to that sorta stuff. I'll probably give it a go, but not in the short term.

Will be sticking the fronts back in Nick, one less issue. I don't think the rears will be an issue, and I could probably get away with even leaving the passenger side off as well, but ah well. The more I think about this, the more it makes sense to just use the stock stuff.

Car got wheels put back on and driven out of the shed on thursday morning. Still got lots of work ahead, but slowly ticking things off the list. Now that the house is sold, I'll have some more bits slowly making their way here...

Other than that, nothing to report...

Cheers,
Ben

#288 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 02:54 PM

So minor update for this thread too. As per the GX30 thread, photos still coming. Mid way through pulling the 5spd out, as I found a cheap S203/2005 JDM STi 6spd box (TY856WB6KA) that I bought. $2800 bucks to my door. Considering the drug money people are wanting even for long ratio Liberty boxes these days, I reckon this was a pretty nice score. Has an LSD front diff and a 65/35 DCCD. Going to be pulling the stubs out of the auto to make the female gen3 axles work. Got some new stub seals coming from Amayama with the wagon sensor to suit the gen3 stub axles.
ARC airbox has been fitted up, with various lines and cables re-run to make it a little neater after finally getting a plastic MAF tube that's the right diameter. Haven't run it yet, REALLY really want to, as I reckon the induction sound will be amazing. But it'll have to wait until after I get the new box fitted up to start it.

There's probably other stuff as well, but thats all I can think of for now.

Cheers,
Ben

#289 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:29 PM

Should really pull my finger out and upload some photos, but she'll be right. I'll get there eventually... When I do upload I'll go back through and update the respective posts...

Put her back on the hoist yesterday, and got back into the shed tonight to start pulling the 5spd out. Got not much done initially cos I procrastinated for the first 15 or 20 minutes, but everything on the top side is done bar the downpipe off the back of the turbo. Going to clean up my crimp lug abortion to make a manual work in an auto car from way back when as well, will replace these with proper deutsch connectors.
Next step is raise it up and get under it to undo all lower bolts and remove the trans and tailshaft. Shouldn't be too bad I don't think...

Also quoted up all the shiz I need to rerun the fuel lines outside the cabin in AN6 braided hose. Just shy of 400 bucks, but kinda needed for regs.

Anyways, until the next 6 monthly update, catch you all laters!

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users