• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sweezyboi

Sweezyboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Hey all, got myself an 2003 NA subaru impreza GX manual (blobeye), its got an open rear diff, believe its 4.111 (from the minimal open diff info i've found online lol), was wondering what differentials from across the subie years and models i could just straight swap over? looking for some kind of LSD to put in, for street and ultimately amateur rally purposes. Are there are diffs that would be a straight swap? I appreciate any info i can get.
Thanks in advance! :) 

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

All Subaru rear diffs are R160 except for some R180 models, but there are not many of them by comparison.

Someone will know what LSD will be best for street and rally, I think you need to choose one or the other. KAAZ and Cusco are two great aftermarket options.

There are two “types” of R160 diff, this has to do with the diff bearing retainers. Early units are five bolt retainer plate with shims behind the retainer plate for the backlash setting. At some point Subaru crossed over to a screw in bearing retainer very similar to that of the front diff. These are sometimes referred to as “one bolt” R160, the other being a “five bolt”.

Diff centres are usually interchangeable, so if you got a suitable LSD and it was the wrong ratio you can swap the diff centres to put the LSD diff centre into your diff to have the correct ratio AND LSD ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Sweezyboi

Sweezyboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

thanks for getting back to me! aside from the info given, do you know if it matters about the ratios? like could i put whatever ratio differential in even though my car came with 4.111? thanks! :)

#4 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

Only if you put the matching gearbox ratio in, either split the box and swap the crown/ring gear and pinion shaft, or swap the entire gearbox.

There are clutch differences between NA and turbo too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: subaru, NA, Differential, LSD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users