29 replies to this topic

#1 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hey guys. The standard clarion speakers in my GX are rooted. I'm looking to replace them, I ALWAYS have music on in the car and play it as loud as the head unit (new Kenwood jiga) will allow. So i need some speakers that will take the abuse. I want something that will fit straight in. What do you guys recommend? P.s, I need new fronts and rears.

Edited by Soop, 30 August 2008 - 01:32 PM.

TSM

#2 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

get 2 sets of those 'kickers' think they were called. their like 800 bucks though man, really good if you got the cash
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#3 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

If you're after reasonable quality and don't want to spend too much, Alpine have some nice offerings. I've got 6.5" splits in the front and rear of mine, they should fit in with minimal fuss. You might need some spacers for the front though.

#4 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

Are straight 6" Splits hard to come by? Another thing. Wagons have speakers in the rear doors. The Sedans have the provisions for this. Does anyone know if its possible to fit speakers into the doors of a Sedan?
TSM

#5 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

What's your budget? the JL Audio VR-600CSi are nice quality 6" splits, they are about $300 a set new. I would get splits front and coaxs rear.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

If it were me, I'd go either JL or JBL Splits in the front and you should be able to fit 6" in the doors providing the magnet isn't too big

Just Married

#7 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

Have any of you guys got online shop URL's?
TSM

#8 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au

http://www.ryda.com.au/

Just Married

#9 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

cheers mate. egay can go to hell tho.
TSM

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

Are straight 6" Splits hard to come by?

Another thing.
Wagons have speakers in the rear doors. The Sedans have the provisions for this.
Does anyone know if its possible to fit speakers into the doors of a Sedan?

My Kicker DS splits are 6". They sound great running off my Kenwood HU.

My LX wagon only came withfront speakers standard. The rear door trims were just blank. I removed the trim to find the hole and speaker wire there. I knicked some grilles from a set of door trims from the wreckers and retro fitted them. Its easy as all the outlines are there for the grille. Rear door trims/doors are the same on wagon and sedan. Only the rear glass is a different shape.

OEM+

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

So does this mean its impossible to fit speakers into the rear doors of a Sedan? That's a bit silly.
TSM

#12 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

So does this mean its impossible to fit speakers into the rear doors of a Sedan?

nothing is impossible with an angle grinder ;)

alpine DD linear splits the cheaper ones are very very very impressive, and really easy to install about 300-400 should get ya some

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#13 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

So does this mean its impossible to fit speakers into the rear doors of a Sedan?

No i was saying that its totally possible and very easy. The door is the same and will have the speaker cut out there. You just need to retro fit the speaker grilles or get rear door trims that already have them in.

You will probably have to re-route your rear speaker wires into your rear doors though.

OEM+

#14 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

its mainly the rear window sill that has problems with speakers.. as ur not meant to cut into it ... dunno if this applies to ur model soop.
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#15 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

Ohhh, No there are already speakers in the parcel shelf. I was wondering if there is a provision for some in the doors too. If there is i might as well use them.
TSM

#16 liberty_luv

liberty_luv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

i got mbquarts and i wouldnt get anything else love the clarity! jus make sure you dynamat the doors! oh and apparently jb hi fi are getting mbquarts but they are actually a shitty jap speaker who have actually taken the german name so they are not the same as the real hand made german splits! but yeah love them to death :) may set u back a bit but worth it for sure! i dont have any rears and dont feel the need for them either!

#17 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

i dont have any rears and dont feel the need for them either!

i faded all the sound in my car to the front speakers just to hear what difference this makes...

and if you love it with just the fronts you're stupid to not chuck some rears in...

paul,

i'm running pioneer 2 way 16cm 180w fronts and stock rears and i can pump bass, treble, mids, whatever...

i'll be chucking in some decent rears soon though...

i got the pineers cos they bolt into the door without the need for a spacer... which makes it easier... i've found that it also uses the door like a sub box, giving you a bit more bass... it's loud as hell from outside though...

i'm probably going to go pioneer rears aswell

you should hit up Ida from ozlib (drives a green gen2 with an ej25 transplant... i dunno if he's on here yet)... he works at a car audio place and has a crazy system in his car...

he's gonna hook me up with cheap shit and i'm sure he can do the same for you...

pm me and i'll give you his number...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#18 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Focal 165V1's. Bit pricey but worth it. I originally had Alpine Type R coaxials in the front and changed to the focals. Focals don't have as much bass but still pump and they can handle soo much more.

#19 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

If you ever crawl out of your shell and catch up with me, I'd like to hear them... ;)
TSM

#20 bLoNde MaFia

bLoNde MaFia

sLeEp Is fOr ThE wEaK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

I'm personally a Pioneer fan. I find the sound is alot clearer yet the bass still drops hard. For me I thought Clarion and Sony's sound 2b abit on the dull side and constantly had 2 fiddle with the controls to get a semi-decent sound outta them. Sony def needed a sub for a good quality sound, but Clarion did nothing 4 me.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users