• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

Hey all,

I need to get my TD05H. Checked out. It will need a new compressor wheel and since the engine ate a few bearings and other bits I thought it best to also get the bearings and seals done at the same time.

Who do you recommend and what damage to the wallet can I expect?

Is the core/cartridge replacement for new an easier/cheaper option? What core should I be looking at?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,453 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:52 PM

TD turbos should be easily rebuild able as Mitsubishi sell the parts.

I went to Procharge in Sunbury for my billet wheel install. Was cheaper than I thought it was going to be. Not sure if they're taking on new work atm but can try giving them a call.

HiSpool in Sydney seem to get a good rep too

tIeW8DE.png

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:45 PM

What tricks and tools are ppl using to pull down a turbo?

I don’t have a set of circlip pliers big enough to tackle the one on these turbos. And the exhaust housing is rust welded in place it seems. YouTube make it look so easy with the way their turbos literally fall apart when they’re doing their maintenance on them.

I’ve looked at cores but need to do some measurements on my compressor and turbine wheels to ensure I get the right core if I go this way. Even then it seems like a mine field of units that could be a bad choice!

I was quoted $1850 for a new turbo. Now I know I’m tight with my builds compared to others, hence much DIY! But a new turbo is out and even a grand to renew the one I have is steep if that’s what it would come in at. Mrs El_Freddo is patient with spending on this and I want to keep it that way (I want to add braided lines before RWC too as I reckon the brake lines on it will be knocked due to age and general condition - I digress).

Hopefully the turbo is the last big hurdle to get over in the expenditure department. Then it’s tyres just before RWC...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,453 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

They can be tricky. WD 40 and patience is your friend. 

Your turbo should be a TD05H 16G. Most of the ebay cores are 16G Big which are obviously bigger and will need the comp cover opened up, so make sure you pick the right one

Kinugawa are perfectly fine but could be expensive depending on your budget
shorturl.at/mqC49

tIeW8DE.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turbo, Turbo rebuild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users