• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:43 PM

Hi all, I thought I’d start a little build thread to share & keep track of my progress on my latest Suby. 

2017 built MY17 Wrx Premium S-Edition Manual 

gallery_10298_195_273328.jpg

Mods so far…

Ultrex Ultimate 3" SS exhaust – Cat back presently

Process West Verticooler

Process West Charge pipe

Process west pulley/Alt cover

Boomba BPV

COBB Aluminium turbo inlet

Perrin Short shift adaptor

Perrin shift stop

Perrin brass shift bushing

Perrin Pitch stop

Perrin Fender shrouds

Perrin Dipstick handle

Grimmspeed Radiator shroud

Whiteline 22mm 3 point adjustable rear sway bar & supports

Whiteline solid rear end links

Whiteline adjustable front end links

Super Pro front sway bar bushes

Super Pro rear diff bush inserts

Milk jug delete

Ultrex ABS STi style side skirts

STi style ABS rear diffuser

To Do…

Ultrex Ultimate J pipe with 200 cell Cat

Grimmspeed 3 port BCS

Grimmspeed aluminium turbo inlet

Grimmspeed engine dress up caps - Black

Perrin Turbo sump restrictor

Custom dual catch cans with AN fittings and black braided hoses

MSR tune with EGR delete

Perrin engine cover

Turbo XS Billet Vacuum pump cover

STi 1.3 bar Radiator cap

Carbon fibre door trims

I’ve had the car for about a year and a half now and originally my intention was to leave it stock and enjoy it for what it was. It’s my daily driver so big power was never on the cards and going crazy on a FA20 with stock internals doesn’t usually end well as you probably know. I was happy to add to the mix some small refinements, to make the car a bit of fun and better to drive but as time went on, there were a few things about the car that I wasn’t enjoying so the mods started. It’s the first WRX model and also the first single turbo powered model in a line of 6 Subarus that I’ve owned (consecutively).

It’s a 2017 built MY17 Wrx Premium S-Edition manual 6 speed in Crystal white pearl. It was a one owner WRX in very decent condition with 50K kms on the clock when I secured it and it has an exceptional service history. Definitely been looked after. Not many blemishes on the paint either, just 2 rock chips and a scratch that were unfortunately repaired by the dealer with some random white paint they had on hand. I now have the correct touch up paint so I’ll be trying my hand at repairing those when the weather warms up a bit.

As for the S-Edition variant of WRX, it’s a “warmed-over version of the WRX Premium” with some interior and exterior enhancements that was limited to 250 units in Australia (125 Manual / 125 Auto). For an extra $2350 over the Premium WRX, the S-Edition includes a bunch of STi bolt-ons including STI base Wheels, front strut tower brace, gear knob and front lip, darker tint and a rear S-Edition badge. That’s about it for the extras, quite reasonably priced in my opinion considering the individual value of the items included and this was a big draw card for me as I am a massive sucker for all things with the pink badge.

gallery_10298_195_52621.jpg

Previously I owned a very vanilla flavoured 2014 base model Impreza with CVT auto. Whilst it served its purpose as a cheap and comfortable commuter (flawlessly), there was hardly any joy driving it and it was far from passion inspiring. I never felt any kind of love or even attached to it really but it was a great car for all intents & purposes. 

A change in my Job location meant I could sell the Impreza and finally get the car I wanted as I wouldn’t be putting on anywhere near as many KM’s commuting to work in Sydney from the Central coast. I put about 125K kms on the Impreza and the bumper and bonnet were peppered in stone chips from driving the 160km round trip to work on the freeway. There’s no way I wanted to do the same thing to what was the most expensive car I’ve owned. 

Here's the Impreza looking great on the day she went away to her new home, all nice and shiny.

gallery_10298_195_122143.jpg

I’ve really liked the shape of the VA WRX since its release, it’s my preferred shape between the WRX models and it was such an easy transition for me after owning an Impreza from the same generation as this WRX. Everything about the car felt familiar to me.

gallery_10298_195_1130907.jpg

I added some side skirts and a rear diffuser soon after getting the car home to compliment the STI front lip spoiler. I bought some rear pods but never got around to fitting them as they were a gloss black finish and I think they’d look mismatched with the rest of the matte ABS body kit. They’re kicking around in the shed collecting dust now.

I’m not thrilled with the side skirts to be honest, not a great fit like the OG OEM STi skirts. They’re not terrible but they do look a bit cheap and that grinds my levels of OCD. I have decided to go with the FLOW Designs side skirts and rear spats sometime in the future. I love the looks & textured finish, they’re tough and they Australian made & owned. (If anyone from FLOW Design reads this, send me free shit for the big shout out haha!)

Those of you who know me or have read my previous build threads would know that tidying up engine bays with a bit of bling is my thang. I love a colour themed flashy & clean bay. This time around there was to be no bright colours or fancy pants show and shine malarkey . As much as I honestly do like them, there’s too many WRX engine bays dressed up with fluro yellow, teal & red already. It's so overdone.

Black… just black, and lots of it.

gallery_10298_195_135364.jpg

Perrin fender shrouds were my pick of the bunch, the Grimmspeed radiator shroud looks and fits better than the Perrin item IMO, so I got that one. At this point not much else was done to the engine bay besides a bit of covering of exposed coloured wiring for concealment. There’s a couple of extra parts I’d like that are on my shopping list to add in the future like an STi oil filler cap and 1.3 bar rad cap and the yellow bottle & reservoir caps will be swapped out for black Grimmspeed caps when they’re back in stock at Prospeed Racing. Chuck in a custom twin catch can set up with black AN fittings and braided hose and she’s done.

Initially I thought the suspension was fairly good, stiffer than I expected, looked low enough and it seemed to handle alright through the twisties. It wasn’t until I hit boost exiting on a large roundabout that I realised it wasn’t even close to what I expected it to be. The understeer was damn right dangerous and it ended up sending me across lanes without much control.

A massive brown pants moment. 

And the mods begin…

“Hello Whiteline my old friend, it’s been a while but I’m back for you to take my money once again.

Like all the other Subies I’ve owned, I whacked on a 22mm 3 point adjustable rear swaybar. A great upgrade, good bit of kit. The VA kit comes with mounting point braces also. I complimented it with solid HD Whiteline endlinks.

For the front I kept the stock swaybar and upgraded from OEM to SuperPro bushes with Whiteline adjustable HD endlinks. This alone made a big difference in handling and I was happy with that set-up.

Next was the exhaust note. At idle it sounded great but it was quiet as hell as you go up the rev range. I chose the Ultrex Ultimate SS Cat back because of price and they’re Australian made. I was stoked with the finish quality & sound. No fitment issues whatsoever. Nice and shiny mufflers & pipes with nice welds too. Very happy.

gallery_10298_195_96936.jpg

After a couple of months of driving & getting used to the car there were a few things that I wasn’t entirely happy with and that were making my driving experience less enjoyable. The clutch was the first noticeable thing I didn’t like. It was hard to find the sweet spot & I’d either be slipping it or over revving most times that I wanted to take off quickly. It was hard to find a consistent rev to take off in first gear and it felt jerky as hell changing gears right up to 4th gear. It honestly left me doubting my abilities and feeling like it was a result of driving an automatic for the last few years & I was now learning to drive a manual all over again, like a noob.

After researching the issue online I found it to be a common gripe with VA WRX owners and the clutch is generally considered terrible in these models because of excessive rev-hang in the stock tune.

For a while I used that as an excuse to make myself feel better by telling myself “it’s the car… not me” but I wasn’t happy to just accept that it was the way it was going to be from here on in. I began to process it all and it got me thinking firstly, that perhaps a newer or heavy duty clutch might be an adequate solution and make the clutch feel more tolerable. It would be an expensive chance to take but at the very least I’d have a new clutch as a trade-off.

The second option would be to deal with the rev hang by tuning, which as I said earlier, I wasn’t intending to go down that road as I wanted to keep the car fairly close to stock for a number of reasons. Mainly because it’s a can of money worms I didn’t want to open at this stage of my life and the car is also my daily driver. But I knew that if a clutch replacement didn’t totally fix the problem, I’d end up wanting another car before too long.

Weighing this up, I got in contact with Michael South from MSR in Sommersby for some advice. He explained tuning options & confirmed that changing clutches wouldn’t solve the issue entirely. He also pointed out another issue with the Subaru tune which I had noticed and was bothering me but I was yet to focus on. That is, under boost there is a flat spot around 4000rpm and the top end is lacking thanks to the dog shit Subaru tune.

WOT was lacklustre.

He recommended deleting the EGR system as nothing good comes from returning hot exhaust gasses back into the induction side of an engine.

Considering all the above, I said “Stuff it” and made the decision get it tuned and let MSR sort it out.

With that decision, came the realisation that if I’m doing it, it would make sense to have some supporting mods. Mainly an intercooler, bigger charge pipe, BPV & 3 port BCS. Michael stated also that the stock airbox is more than adequate and gains from a CAI are negligible unless you’re upgrading turbos. Keeping the stock air box was fine with me.

Sticking with the Australian theme, ProcessWest came to mind for the intercooler. Top mount all the way – because, it’s not a race car and there’s a scoop on my bonnet for some reason.

MSR recommended the Verticooler over the newer style Khanacooler so I sourced the Verticooler & charge pipe kit. The kit also came with a nice powder coated alt & pulley cover which was a bonus.

Subyclub legend and admin aekOne was selling a Boomba BPV from his Levorg build so I jumped on that sale and installed it for some nice induction choo choo choo noises. I loved the sounds it makes so I did a “Milk jug delete” removing the air filter box noise resonator thingy, to promote turbo & BPV noises. It worked and cool noises sounded cooler.

gallery_10298_195_131901.jpg

The car definitely performs better with the Verticooler, charge pipe and Boomba BPV. The heat soak reduction feels massive compared to the stock IC.

I’ll be putting on a Grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid and aluminium turbo inlet for longevity as the plastic standard inlet is a weak point and is prone to cracking around the BPV hose. The Grimmspeed inlet has much better flow qualities also. I’ll be using the Ultrex 200 Cel catted J pipe to finish off & match up to the Ultrex Ultimate exhaust system I already have, then it’s off to MSR for a tune. With that set up I should be looking to see somewhere around 200+kw atw, a much improved top end and linear power delivery.

So that’s the direction I’m headed now. Not too crazy compared to some of the builds here but exciting for me all the same. Should be a fun & hopefully reliable car when it’s all sorted.

I’ll keep you all updated.

Cheers,

KONG

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:50 PM

Love it Kong.

tIeW8DE.png

#3 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 04:48 PM

Love it Kong.

Thanks Barbs. 

I'm really putting in a big effort to keep this one in tip top condition and she's always garaged.

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:07 PM

Looking good Kong Boi.

Some nice mods you have done and are yet to do, without going to crazy.

RIP white kong, guess this is a pretty good replacement. I like the body shape of the VA, but not so keen on the engine and gearbag package. 

Time for you to come on the next docka wif the bois ??

#5 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:47 PM

Looking good Kong Boi.

Some nice mods you have done and are yet to do, without going to crazy.

RIP white kong, guess this is a pretty good replacement. I like the body shape of the VA, but not so keen on the engine and gearbag package. 

Time for you to come on the next docka wif the bois ??

Thanks mate. 

Yeah the gear box isn't the greatest in these things. There was a lot of slop in the shifter with cable set up. It's a different car after putting in the Perrin shift kit, pitch stop and diff bush insert though. It got rid of a lot of the drivetrain slop and tightened it all up.

I'll most likely put in group N STi trans mount but the key thing is, I won't be launching the car or slamming gears so lets hope she holds up ok over time.

As you know my history with gearbags isn't great so I'll only be driving within the cars limits this time.

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 12 July 2023 - 06:47 PM

That is one good read there Kong! Veddy noice!

Love reading these things. Keeping eyes peeled for more updates as they come!

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 07:40 PM

That is one good read there Kong! Veddy noice!

Love reading these things. Keeping eyes peeled for more updates as they come!

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks Ben.
I love reading them too. Even if it's just little updates and photos, still awesome.

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

I like reading these things and learning about all the different types of aftermarket parts that are available out there that I have no idea about!

Very tidy ride Kong, I’m sure it’ll stay that way too :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#9 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 10:34 AM

From memory you can still bolt in the old faithful proper STi 6 speed if you and your wallet are so inclined

tIeW8DE.png

#10 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:35 AM

From memory you can still bolt in the old faithful proper STi 6 speed if you and your wallet are so inclined

Yes, It's a popular conversion in the USA. It would definitely be a consideration for me if this box shits itself at some point in the future. 

Most cases I've read of the standard box in these going bang usually involves launches and abuse. Hopefully it holds up to the power increase well and I'll be treating it with respect.

#11 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 12:03 PM

Something to keep mind as well is the ratios of the box

STi boxes are fairly short ratio and make things feel much faster. Id imagine those VA boxes are fairly long gears to get more economy 

tIeW8DE.png

#12 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 08:47 PM

I took a trip to Prospeed Racing yesterday and picked up some goodies, a Cobb Aluminium turbo inlet and a Perrin dipstick handle. An early birthday present from my lovely girl. 

Initially I wanted the Grimmspeed inlet but after watching a comparison video the Cobb inlet stood out as the better of the 2. It's 5mm larger internally (70mm compared to 65mm stock & Grimspeed inlets) it's 2mm bigger on the turbo side flange and has more meat for porting if you ever were to upgrade the turbo. The Cobb inlet comes with extra bolts and 2 sets of hex screws, shorter ones for the factory boost solenoid and longer ones for an after market BCS and also a spare O ring along with a silicone BPV hose and clamps. The Grimmspeed comes with the silicone hose for the BPV and 2 hose clamps and 2 phillips head screws.

The wait for the Grimmspeed inlet sealed the deal on the Cobb, it would be over 4 weeks wait  but the Cobb was on the shelf. I was told Grimmspeed's CNC machine had a massive failure and stock worldwide is affected as a result. I didn't want to wait so I paid the extra $60 and I'm happy, feeling like I ended up with the better part in the end.

gallery_10298_195_848339.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the standard factory inlet is made from plastic and prone to cracking around the BPV hose port. They become brittle with heat & time so it's something most FA WRX owners probably will have to change at some point. Changing to an Aluminium inlet is necessary preventative maintenance in my mind, it eliminates a well known failure point that creates a lean condition & potential engine damage.

Here's both the inlets side by side...

gallery_10298_195_44091.jpg

You can see below, the OE inlet has troughs and pockets that would obviously affect air flow...

gallery_10298_195_1704666.jpg

Compared to the smooth Cobb inlet...

gallery_10298_195_406124.jpg

It was a quick and easy install. Took me an hour but I wasn't rushing...

gallery_10298_195_223663.jpg

The Perrin dipstick handle was installed, that's one less piece of yellow in the engine bay. Looks good.

I had no idea you have to destroy the OE dipstick handle to fit this (not that it was a problem). The installation instructions are to use a grinder to cut down through the plastic until metal is exposed. They advise, if you want to go back to a stock dipstick you should purchase a new one from Subaru. LOL.

gallery_10298_195_1435509.jpg

Another opulent  purchase of excess, JDM STi oil cap. I feel crazy paying the $$$ they cost but I absolutely love it. Such a nice look... I'm a sick man.

gallery_10298_195_340288.jpg

#13 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 09:22 PM

Nice upgrades BK.

That cobb inlet is a nice bit of gear.

I even approve of the p plate spec oil filler cap.

Tell your misso, I'll be friends with her if she buys me some stuff from PSR

#14 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 09:35 PM

I even approve of the sex spec oil filler cap.

Cheers mate. It suits the colour theme perfectly I reckon.  

#15 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 09:56 PM

Cheers mate. It suits the colour theme perfectly I reckon.  

Cubt, I saw what you did there.

#16 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 16 July 2023 - 01:03 PM

Nice upgrades there Kong! I wish the EJ engines ran that oil filter location. Looks like they actually thought about the mechanic for once.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#17 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 04:50 PM

Nice upgrades there Kong! I wish the EJ engines ran that oil filter location. Looks like they actually thought about the mechanic for once.

Nah the EJ oil filter is so easy to change, plus you can pre fill the oil filter on the EJ.

Try doing that on a FA or FB.

#18 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 06:51 PM

It's nice having the oil filter up top. It's empty when you change it and it's easier access to remove if it's tight.

I went for a spin after the Cobb intake install and nothing to report really. Obviously there wasn't going to be any noticeable power gains and there was no increase in induction noise. Turbo and BPV noise increased a bit and is at a good level for my liking. Sounds good.

#19 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 17 July 2023 - 09:58 AM

forking nice mate!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#20 JDP