33 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Just had a 2.7 lock to lock steering rack (quickrack) installed into my GTB, from a V2 STi RA. (according to research, it was an option in that particular model...could be a motorsport option) oh my god. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG it has totally changed the driving experience! it's freaking awesome!! an epileptic seizure of the wrist is all it takes to make a lane change! can't wait to take it to some twisty blacktop to get it all happening! *cough*brsibane*cough*noosa* So in short. If you have an opportunity to lay your hands on a quickrack to suit your car.....GO FOR IT!

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Well im glad I checked out this before replying to your forsale thread :lol: Few q's did you need to change anything else other then the rack? Pump or high pressure hoses?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

i just cut to the chase and bought a wrx :D

MY07 GT spec B

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Well im glad I checked out this before replying to your forsale thread :lol:

Few q's did you need to change anything else other then the rack? Pump or high pressure hoses?

pump was the same.

lines were slightly different, and needed some slight mods to get to fit (some manipulation!)

to change to the variable rack, you'll need the controller. i have a controller i can chuck in to my rack for nothing if you're keen.

#5 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

is the quick rack 2.7 turn different to a normal 2.7 turn ? or are all 2.7 turns 'quick rack' (turn!)

Stuff goes here

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

2.7 = quickrack

#7 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

well, hot diggity - I haz one :D IIRC the GX is 3.3. It is a noticeable difference

Stuff goes here

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

GTB is about the same. How does you haz a 2.7?

#9 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Long story short, most of the steering stuff was replaced trying to hunt down a problem with the steering (it was binding/not turning easy - turned out to be with a uni joint int he column itself..) but fresh rack FTW (this was all before I got the car)

Stuff goes here

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

you own the burgundy RS sedan with a gold subaru badge from NSW?

#11 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

yeah, this stuff was done in WA however (and I'm going by what the bloke told me was in it)

Stuff goes here

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

yeah, this stuff was done in WA however (and I'm going by what the bloke told me was in it)

i've seen this car before on a cruise here in NSW.

i pulled over once on this cruise to give him a hand with a split hose or something.

he was a decent bloke, and loved that car a lot!

#13 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

EX-DRS from RSLC ex owner is STIute from RSLC Current owner is me.. from here and RSLC mmmm forum car :D Wow this is slight OT.. sorry Back on topic - 2.7 turn = win = 90 deg turn without needing to move hands if you want :D

Stuff goes here

#14 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

Just had a 2.7 lock to lock steering rack (quickrack) installed into my GTB, from a V2 STi RA.
(according to research, it was an option in that particular model...could be a motorsport option)

oh my god.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

it has totally changed the driving experience! it's freaking awesome!! an epileptic seizure of the wrist is all it takes
to make a lane change!

can't wait to take it to some twisty blacktop to get it all happening! *cough*brsibane*cough*noosa*

So in short.

If you have an opportunity to lay your hands on a quickrack to suit your car.....GO FOR IT!

Sounds good. How much?? (if ya don't mind)

Took the liberty of mapping an alternate route for ya if ya get sick of hwys on the way up. I've driven all of those rds 100's of times and while not all are in perfect condish there's plenty of twistys along this route. Plus there's a nice pub @ Uki ;) ;)

http://maps.google.c...766&ie=UTF8&z=9

#15 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

2.7 = quickrack

Hey Alex,

I get that a quickrack is a lower ratio rack, hence 2.7 turns but how does the controller fit into the picture?
Is there a solenoid in the hi pressure line to control pressure to the rack thus giving more assist at low speed?

If you get the chance, take a BMW 335i with the variable ratio steering for a spin. Freakish. It has hi assist with low ratio at low vehicle speed and low assist with high ratio and higher speeds. Basically you can park the car with a flick of the wrist but it wont send you off the road if you sneeze on the freeway.

Thanks
J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#16 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hey Alex,

I get that a quickrack is a lower ratio rack, hence 2.7 turns but how does the controller fit into the picture?
Is there a solenoid in the hi pressure line to control pressure to the rack thus giving more assist at low speed?

If you get the chance, take a BMW 335i with the variable ratio steering for a spin. Freakish. It has hi assist with low ratio at low vehicle speed and low assist with high ratio and higher speeds. Basically you can park the car with a flick of the wrist but it wont send you off the road if you sneeze on the freeway.

Thanks
J

J

The beautiful thing is that it doesn't require a controller! I've disconnected mine, and it works no dramas! Plug and play! Its got a little less "assist" at carpark speeds, but its by no means heavy. Feels solid though, but I'm guessing that could be because I got it freshly rebuilt.

The new 535i... they work on some freaky steering box? or are they completely electronic now? i don't even know if they're hydraulic anymore?

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

J

The beautiful thing is that it doesn't require a controller! I've disconnected mine, and it works no dramas! Plug and play! Its got a little less "assist" at carpark speeds, but its by no means heavy. Feels solid though, but I'm guessing that could be because I got it freshly rebuilt.

The new 535i... they work on some freaky steering box? or are they completely electronic now? i don't even know if they're hydraulic anymore?

Alex,
Thanks.
FYI
BMW active steering is basically a normal hydraulic rack that has a planitary gear on the input between the steering shaft and the pinion. A electric servo can drive the sun gear in two directions at varing speeds. This means the pinion in the rack can rotate faster or slower than the steering shaft (steering wheel if you like) thus giving an infinite variable steering ratio. It also has a sensor on the steering shaft (like an ABS sensor ring)to monitor steering inputs from the driver. This is used in the stability programming so the servo in the rack can 'tweak' the direction of the front wheels if things get a bit hairy or to keep the car in a straight line if braking hard on an uneven surface. Its a great system and still leaves plenty for the driver to enjoy. Took a week to wipe the smile off my face after driving a 335i through the hills around Melbourne. :D
They also have a electro mechanical (EPS)system that has no hydraulic oil. A servo motor has a worm drive on the steering shaft to provide power assistance at varing levels but the ratio remains fixed.
Cheers
Jason

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#18 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

Alex,
Thanks.
FYI
BMW active steering is basically a normal hydraulic rack that has a planitary gear on the input between the steering shaft and the pinion. A electric servo can drive the sun gear in two directions at varing speeds. This means the pinion in the rack can rotate faster or slower than the steering shaft (steering wheel if you like) thus giving an infinite variable steering ratio. It also has a sensor on the steering shaft (like an ABS sensor ring)to monitor steering inputs from the driver. This is used in the stability programming so the servo in the rack can 'tweak' the direction of the front wheels if things get a bit hairy or to keep the car in a straight line if braking hard on an uneven surface. Its a great system and still leaves plenty for the driver to enjoy. Took a week to wipe the smile off my face after driving a 335i through the hills around Melbourne. :D
They also have a electro mechanical (EPS)system that has no hydraulic oil. A servo motor has a worm drive on the steering shaft to provide power assistance at varing levels but the ratio remains fixed.
Cheers
Jason

Thanks for that Jason.

Always been a fan of the Bayerisch Motoren Werke, and their technologies are always simply jaw dropping. (Much like their servicing costs!) Having said that, they've been on the whole a fairly reliable marque, and I'd love to go back to one!

#19 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

anyone know whats on the b4? it seems to have the turning circle of a truck!

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

it'll be the variable rack. subaru AWD are known to have not the best of turning circles (which isn't the topic of discussion here!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users