33 replies to this topic

#21 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

do you find it at all twitchy at freeway speeds? I like the idea of swapping to something lower than i have now but i dont want to be constantly correcting on the freeway.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#22 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

do you find it at all twitchy at freeway speeds?
I like the idea of swapping to something lower than i have now but i dont want to be constantly correcting on the freeway.

define "twitchy"....

the whole purpose of the rack change was to minimise movement on the wheel. i can change lanes with less movement now, and its a positive improvement in my opinion. it doesn't feel nervous or anything at all.

it also has a more solid feel of the road. it doesn't feel cushioned like it used to (but then again, i was running a wrecked variable rack, set on its lightest carparking setting (not the one for sale...my original one!) and it felt nervous, as the movement was way too light).

#23 portugese_gorilla

portugese_gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

well if anyone is interested in getting a quick rack i stumbled upon today on ebay:

My link

the seller also has a few other suby parts so it may be worth a look for some people

#24 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

skippy from allthingssubaru i have heard lots of good things about this guy good buying that rack too! reco it if you wish, for trouble free happy times!

#25 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

skippy from allthingssubaru

i have heard lots of good things about this guy

good buying that rack too! reco it if you wish, for trouble free happy times!

Yep, Jason (Skippy) is a top bloke.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#26 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

Shizer that's cheap if it goes for that low. Glad to hear you are happy with the rack Alex, welcome to the short turn club :-) Steering at freeway (and higher) speeds is rock solid, the rack is a bit heavy when parking I find, but for accuracy and feel you just can't beat it IMHO. My donor STi was good to me in many ways, and this was one of them. All I need now is a caster kit, how is yours in that respect now, better or worse tramlining ? BTW Alex, had to drop mine back to that guy, one of the seals on the input shaft shagged itself and made the steering really heavy one way at times, all fixed under warranty though, no questions asked. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#27 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Shizer that's cheap if it goes for that low.

Glad to hear you are happy with the rack Alex, welcome to the short turn club :-)

Steering at freeway (and higher) speeds is rock solid, the rack is a bit heavy when parking I find, but for accuracy and feel you just can't beat it IMHO. My donor STi was good to me in many ways, and this was one of them.

All I need now is a caster kit, how is yours in that respect now, better or worse tramlining ?

BTW Alex, had to drop mine back to that guy, one of the seals on the input shaft shagged itself and made the steering really heavy one way at times, all fixed under warranty though, no questions asked.

Regards
Paul

Castor kit from whiteline I highly reccomend Paul.
I found the tramlining improved tenfold after the wheelbearings were repaired, and better again after the rack was replaced.

I noticed there was a bit of slop in the old rack, I assume from wear and tear, and me driving it for about six months after it gave up the ghost with the variable stepper motor.

Good to hear that they looked after you in regards to repairs. I can rest a little easier now that if something happens to mine, I too will be looked after!

Cheers

A red eyed Alex.

#28 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

Ah, so the whiteline one is the goods heh, have to look into that then, it is driving me nuts !!! not to mention that is is getting so bad it's dangerous on the crappy roads out here ! Maybe should do wheelbearings as well, who knows when they were done as they were directly transferred from the STi, they may never have been done perhaps. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#29 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

Ah, so the whiteline one is the goods heh, have to look into that then, it is driving me nuts !!! not to mention that is is getting so bad it's dangerous on the crappy roads out here !

Maybe should do wheelbearings as well, who knows when they were done as they were directly transferred from the STi, they may never have been done perhaps.

Regards

Paul

have cash up your sleeve in case the hubs are rooted.

salted roads can very much cause pitting and damage of the hubs...

hubs are about $300 each from Subaru, but you should be able to get s/h ones from a wrecker for much less...

#30 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Old thread I know, but just scored myself an RA STI rack (13:1) with the monster. There is another one that I was also watching if anybody else wants one. It still has about a day left on it and is still very cheap (might need a rebuild though - done a few k's).

Can't wait for this to get here, I loath the current 47 turns lock to lock

#31 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

Matt STi_Lib gave me a Version 8 STI quick rack, apparently thats 2.7 turns lock to lock? Before installing into my RS impreza i checked mine, measures to be 2.7 turns lock to lock. My mates pignose STI is the same.

So i guess if you want a quick rack try find an RS impreza one, as you'll probably get it a bit cheaper.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#32 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

That's a 15:1 rack. The gc8 RA and GD spec C racks are 13:1 (2.2 turns lock to lock).
That's surprising yours was the 15:1 though as I thought they were only in the wrx and sti models

#33 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

Yeah i thought that too. Not that i'm complaining :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#34 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

That's a 15:1 rack. The gc8 RA and GD spec C racks are 13:1 (2.2 turns lock to lock).
That's surprising yours was the 15:1 though as I thought they were only in the wrx and sti models

cost cutting, all imprezas so just give them same same haha!

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users