• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

As is everyone that hasn't already I'm looking to get our B4 tuned... Does anyone have any reccomendations?? So far I've come up with these options: OPM Sport, Toowoomba - Custom Ecutek - $1990 http://www.opmsport.com.au/site/ Brisbane Tuning & Turbo Centre - Uni-Chip (P/back) - $1900 - 1 + bit days http://www.motorspor...uning/index.htm ChipTorque - Nerang - Ezy-Flash - $1640 (approx) - 1 day http://www.chiptorque.com.au/ Of the 3 I've found the ChipTorque option seems the best as it is a "reflash" of the factory ecu & gives several different "tunes" that I can change between at will. Can also be returned to std tune at any time... and it's the cheapest! (and closest :) ) Has anyone had a ChipTorque tune or know anyone who has?? Anyone know of any other/cheaper options?? - apart from doing it myself as I don't have the knowledge (would love to learn but have no one to teach me). BTW I'm in Lismore (Nth NSW) so was looking at QLD options but will travel if cost of tune makes it viable... Cheers guys :drinks:

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

555 Motorsports if you really want to do it budget. its costing me $100 US to get my 06 WRX tuned... (plus a tactrix cable $150) this guy has a huge name over in the states and also done plenty of aussie cars already!

MY07 GT spec B

#3 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

The boys at Chiptorque are great to deal with and do a fairly good tune. PM 988OXR, I'm sure he can give you more info on them, and my dealings with them have always been fair. At least with someone local you can have issues resolved.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#4 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

The boys at Chiptorque are great to deal with and do a fairly good tune.
PM 988OXR, I'm sure he can give you more info on them, and my dealings with them have always been fair.
At least with someone local you can have issues resolved.

Thanks, good to hear they've got a good rep.

I was leaning towards them (Chiptorque), had a good read about the Ezy-Flash software and I like the idea of being able to change to different tunes myself and being able to datalog (I might learn something) and read/erase fault codes via the hand held device.

Only thing was their w/site said only a 15-25 AWKW increase wich seems a bit low compared to some of the Ecutek dyno graphs I've seen...

That's a good point bout being local too... hadn't given much thought to after the tune :dash2: ta!

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

I was leaning towards them (Chiptorque), had a good read about the Ezy-Flash software and I like the idea of being able to change to different tunes myself and being able to datalog (I might learn something) and read/erase fault codes via the hand held device.

Only thing was their w/site said only a 15-25 AWKW increase wich seems a bit low compared to some of the Ecutek dyno graphs I've seen...

That's a good point bout being local too... hadn't given much thought to after the tune :dash2: ta!

The gains you get depends what other mods you have, of course.

And perhaps they're conservative with their tunes....good for you in the long run.

Don't worry too much about disneyland dyno figures. As long as the AFR's are all good, and there's gain in the seat of the pants dyno, that's all that matters!

#6 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

The gains you get depends what other mods you have, of course.

And perhaps they're conservative with their tunes....good for you in the long run.

Don't worry too much about disneyland dyno figures. As long as the AFR's are all good, and there's gain in the seat of the pants dyno, that's all that matters!

Very true, the main reason I want it tuned is so it doesn't blow up.

#7 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Chiptourqe tuned a close friends nissan cefiro using a free tune voucher i won at a dyno day once, only heard good things about it. He went back again later for another tune because his coilpack was creating his car to missfire.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

a lot of ecutek dyno runs are HUB dynos hence give higher figures!

MY07 GT spec B

#9 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

a lot of ecutek dyno runs are HUB dynos hence give higher figures!

Cheers, makes sense as most would be MRT outlets? and as Alex said it's the seat of the pants that counts anyway.

out of curiosity is there any way to compare/convert hub dyno graphs to wheel ones?

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

out of curiosity is there any way to compare/convert hub dyno graphs to wheel ones?

its like comparing apples with oranges.

even different wheel dynos at different workshops will all give you different figures.

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

If it was me, I would focus more on the 'before and after' results on the same dyno.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#12 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

Your car may/may not have the dyno graph you want, but i'm sure you'll notice the drivability of the car would be much improved from stock.

#13 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

its like comparing apples with oranges.

even different wheel dynos at different workshops will all give you different figures.

OK. cool, so comparing dyno graphs from different dyno machines/ workshops is pointless.

If it was me, I would focus more on the 'before and after' results on the same dyno.

True, I was tryin to work out what "wheel" power gain the ecutek had (pointless I know but curiosity got the better of me)

Your car may/may not have the dyno graph you want, but i'm sure you'll notice the drivability of the car would be much improved from stock.

True again, and the more I think about it, it does seem pretty silly to place much importance on a graph.

Cheers guys, I'm now 99% sure we'll be going with ChipTorque, will post results when done (2-3 weeks).

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

buzz. opening a can of worms here. maybe even pandora's box. but you sorta can but sorta can't make comparisons between dyno graphs. they have different brands of dynos each with different settings. each operator set theirs up differently to each other. you also have to account for altitude, temperature and humidity for dyno runs. (hence you could have higher figures in colder months vs warmer months, although, allegedly some dynos compensate for this?!) there are other variables also. fuel density, tyre pressure, blah blah blah. as long as the power curve is nice and healthy and doesn't drop off anywhere nasty, its all good. wait. you've got a twin turbo. forget the bit about the nice healthy power curve! :sarcastic:

#15 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

ahahaha, cheers mate think I'll just take your advice and use the "pants" dyno graph.

#16 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Just to give you a taste of what to expect.

Here's an old Dyno sheet of mine from back in 2006.

It made a decent 153kw back in the days when she was stockers, with a couple of mods, and a couple of faults.

Posted Image

The pink line highlighted demonstrates the power curve.
The light blue line is the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) This is the important one. Mine ran rich like a Rapper that steals the limelight at award ceremonies. But I put this down to the JDM 100RON ECU, and the fact that the Gen2 GTB has one of the most aggressive fueling maps of its time. That's how they made their power, by dumping spastic amounts of fuel in. (450km to a tank was the best I could ever scrape in).

Your B4 will be miles ahead in terms of this. With a more refined tune already for the factory, and bigger injectors (your 550cc vs my 440cc) should help your cause.

In the red circle, this is the VOD. Mine had a remarkably small VOD compared to other cars out there, even many B4's.

Your main priority for the retune IMHO is to eradicate the ping that plagues these cars, and thus, protect you from any catastrophic engine damage especially when driving on hot days.

I can't wait until I buy a programmable ECU! Then its happy days for me!

#17 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Bahaha, thats some bad goat aids you have there boy!!
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#18 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

Bahaha, thats some bad goat aids you HAD there boy!!

fixored for troofs.

#19 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

How much powahz you gotz now since you cured the aids?

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

haven't dyno'd it yet. stay tuned :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users