• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:cars, music, cars, snow, cars, wake cars, and goodtimes. mainly goodtimes in cars.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

its on again. the old motor got the treatment last night and ended up on the floor of the garage at about 1am. I had the big decision whether to drop it or lift it, ended up lifting it box and all. I decied to pull the box as well cos the torque converter bolts are in a prick of a spot and you possibly need to remove some plumbing form the back of the wastegate and the inlet manifold which are very prone to breaking as i have seen, there is the t piece that6 comes out the back of the plastic under the manifold that is just too fragile for my liking. So out they came. started at about 6pm after dinner and all went well had the thing ready to lift at about 10pm after spending way too long trying to save my air con gas and remove the compressor with the lines in tact I gave up and let the ozone have it. sorry mungbeans. So after thet i hooked it up and began the lift off. as i was on my own the task of watching out for any thing catching at any point was going well till the gearbox plugs started to have a debate with the rear gbox mount on the firewall whilst this was happening the cv got caught on the cat on the passenger side and then the plug on the brake master cylinder got smashed on the side of the turbo during a little game of tug o war between me and the donk+box. Always pays to have someone hanging around when doing this kind of thing unfortunately for me it was monday night close to midnight!! Ok its out now will get the new donk on tonight and see how i go with the install just hve a few small things to sort out- remove the haltechs ignition modules, repair the cv boot, put the whole box dice on teh new motor and whalha should be out hopefully thursday at the latest.Attached File  DSC01721.JPG   140.48KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC01723.JPG   134.52KB   3 downloadsAttached File  DSC01724.JPG   124.14KB   3 downloadsAttached File  DSC01725.JPG   114.27KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC01715.JPG   111.29KB   11 downloadsAttached File  DSC01693.JPG   143.02KB   13 downloads....new motor

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I've never changed a turbo engine but on mine I just unbolt the exhuast from the engine 3 nuts on each side. Would you need to remove the turbo?turbos? Or something?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

you should have given me a call if you needed some extra muscle mate!! good to see this finally happening :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Coming together nicely Don. :D

OEM+

#5 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:cars, music, cars, snow, cars, wake cars, and goodtimes. mainly goodtimes in cars.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

scubaroo: i had already removed the turbos to check them out ( in case i wanted to put the 25 27 set up on ) but put them back on as they were in very good nick, i was gonna just pull the motor but in the end the box was just gonna be easier with the exhaust all in one hit, gave me a chance to look at the deteriorating heat shields on the dumps all the way to the join. i also quickly ripped them down the road to have a look at gettting custom headers from my mate neil at cortis exhaust in mona hes a champ and has set up a jig in no time he has one set up for na gen 2 as well. aek: i did think of you at about 9.30pm when i was thinking of ordering a toni pepperoni from dominos for back up in case things got crazy but i wouldnt expect you to be up for it at that time with no noltice. thanks for the offer and I will call you the day that its all running and we can cruise the new neighbourhood!! i talk to myself during these sort of hectic operations alot and you may have found that rather weird and i was deep into the hip hop show on jjj so it was cool in the end. cheers bro. ok motor and box are back in the car. just bolted in nothing else. its too late 2 nights in a row....not too much more broken bits either which was a bonus. some things were a pain in the rectum like the butt plug falling out of the box on teh way back in and spilling auto tranny fluid on my garage floor.. other than that at all went back in sweet as, the motor and box went together so easy it was funny i had the box on an old skater and the motor on a wheely tray thingy and the just wanted to bum it out like two homos on oxford st at 3am in the midnight shift, well thats what it seemed like maybe not exactly!! once they had become one the few broken hoses and usual cut vacuuum lines came off the import motor and the swapsy looked well. BUT there are a few different vac lines running from the secondary turbo on the gtb motor and i may be in need of assistance with the set up there i will try to work it all out and see what happens.im sure ill have some questions on tomoz for suby gurus. will post more pics tomoz - nothing special really all looks the same im not much for aesthetics or blinging out under the hood but think i may hit the suspension next and drop coilovers or bilsteins in with some fatter sway bars and new bushes all round. its sucks when u really get the chance to lay under the car and see what needs to be fixed but it is a ncie place to hide from the mrs and the kids!!! so realxing laying on cardboard no wonder homeless ppl are so happy with their cardboard mattresses just like a water bed only card - board bed. peace out just gonna set up my cardboard palace in the garage and get some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz anyone know if the B4 control arms and struts will fit the gen2 >??????

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thumbs up for the dedication. B4 gear bolts up to the front ONLY. Forget the rears. Front arms will fit. So let's get some things clear. This had a TT GT motor, and now you've dropped in a TT GTB motor? Both were auto?

#7 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

Yes I would like to know too. But from the photos you seem to have a ej20r but I can only tell from the cam covers.

Posted Image

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

I think the Autos had smooth cam covers too... (EJ20H)

#9 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think the Autos had smooth cam covers too... (EJ20H)

Mine does. But also nice piston slap when cold. Its plate says EJ20H. I thought only R motors had smooth covers.

Posted Image

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just because it's got smooth rocker covers, doesn't mean its EJ20R.

Al's been quoted to state this on RSLC

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

Its a bastard of a job taking the TT engines out :( me no want to do again. I actually left my gearbox in when i did mine.

#12 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

cheers alex thats what i was told just wanted to make sure. a mate has a alloy set of control arms and bilstiens complete with discs etc from a jdm B4 import cut. I will get em. the new motor is a gtb ej20tt smooth cam covers & yellow injectors. the old was a gt ej20tt grey injectors with the ribbed cam covers. both 96 model. im just about to head to the garage to see if i can remember where everything goes.

Attached Files

#13 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

started the motor last night. HAS A MASSIVE KNOCK IN IT. AWESOME. Im now about to call the yard where i got it and get into the details. not very lucky at all;'

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

Oh crap! Oil pressure test?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#15 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

Bug ind beering? Not choice.

Posted Image

#16 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

which yard in sydney?

MY07 GT spec B

#17 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

oil pressure test says its ok oil is pumping. yeah sounds very much like the big end. the motor came from constantines in giraween, sean has been ok about it and is bringing me another motor on monday but there is no compensation for labour or time wasted with the install etc, so i guess shit happens and i will be repeating the out and in on tuesday what a way to spend Australia Day!!!

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

That sucks mate, good to hear it's being sorted though ! You seem to be able to do it fairly quickly now !

#19 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

ill join you mate! pulling my engine out over the weekend to adress some nasty oil leaks and the ECV!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#20 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

the replacement motor arrived this arvo so its time to get into it again tomorrow. motor doesnt look like a gtb motor, it has the same smooth cam covers and the vf 20 21's ???? wierd. I still have the gtb motor and my old motor which has the sticky valve so im gonna make one good motor out of the gtb with the big end bearing problem and my old one then send the left overs back to the wrecker in a million pieces so he can spend the same amount of time i did stuffing around for his mistake. still slightly pissed that he didn't call me back and took a week to sort out a new motor makes me wonder where this motor came from, and as i didnt get to inspect it to confirm its what i wanted (gtb)i dont think that its very good business - i could have gone and got the gt motor from ichiban fully tested and in good faith knowing that they wouldnt sell a motor like that and not had any hassle. so fingers crossed this time and ill hope to back on the road sunday if all goes well. peace out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users