#1 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hey,

Just out of curiousity as it's something I MAY do in the distant future, Whats involved in a twin to single conversion? Assuming one doesn't just pick up a 205, 207, 255, 257 or whatnot, so,

What needs to be changed, and

How much does it cost?

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

#2 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

well you dont need to change your engine at all. You will need the basics first: WRX exhuast manifold Turbo of somesort new dump pipe (just get a 3" TBE System) top mounted intercooler and Y pipe Block of the Turbo oil line on the passenger's side head. From here you remove the big black box of death (vacuum solenoid box). then its time to start thinking about ECU's. There are alot of options out there. My car has a plug and play WRX 01-05 Autronic SM4 , and my Mums old single Turbo B4 had a Haltech E8 plug and play. There is a few wiring changes you may have to do in order for it to work (but i cant give any information to this side of things) You will also have to think about boost control aswell.. Either use a 3port MAC solenoid, or go aftermerket electronic type.
MY02 Liberty B4

#3 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

It's a big (read: expensive) job. Unless your interested in spending some pretty decent money, you might find it easier tuning what you have. Above info is spot on, thanks man.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#4 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

It's a big (read: expensive) job.

Unless your interested in spending some pretty decent money, you might find it easier tuning what you have.

Above info is spot on, thanks man.

That may be the most likely option. And thus I have a question;

What tuning options do I have besides ecutek? Due to previous happenings with my rex I REALLY don't want to go down that path unless I have to. So what else can I use? And who can tune it? Anyone used SMW?

Cheers.

#5 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Well??? Any answers to the above question?? Come on guys.

#6 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

try Pulse racing in menai. (not sure how to spell it)

#7 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

I had mine done not too long ago (almost 1 year) im using a SMT6 piggy back system things i had done (some as mention above) need -dump pipe -y-pipe (keep old intercooler) -inlet pipe -turbo -extractor (99-00) with no o2 sensor on the up pipe -relocating the 02 sensor on the extractor to other side kept the black box as i didnt change the ecu and wiring loom

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

Skywarp you can retune your factory ECU, I think you might be able to have it deal with single turbo but you may need to check with someone like Frank or more of the other gen3 guys.

Could try NRG automotive in Rydalmere, Nick there knows his Subaru's and does a lot of great work. Not sure about the tuning side of things though.

Pulse can do it and retune but I honestly wouldn't recommend them to anyone. After witnessing dealings between 2 close friends at that workshop, I swore to never refer further business to them. I was totally unhappy with the way they dealt with something's - although in saying that Paul does have quite a good reputation in the tuning community.

Michael South (MSR) up on the Central Coast could probably give you some help - he could most likely do it all for you - tune and single conversion (http://www.msengineering.com.au/). I think Michael has a bit of a wait though - check him out though.

Alex also had his TT Legacy converted up in QLD by AMAuto (www.amauto.com.au) - might be worth checking that out too.

Hope this helps.

Dylan

kept the black box as i didnt change the ecu and wiring loom

Interesting. Does it throw error codes if this black box is removed??

#9 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

it does throw error code, just never looked into which one

#10 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

I can only imagine you would get code 66, twin turbo system, as there isn't one ;) I reckon it would be worth doing, and you could do it on a budget with the right research and some decent second hand parts, it's not hard really. Alex had mods done as well, like new FMIC, turbo, twist mount, etc, hence price is irrelevant when comparing that conversion. I went a slightly different way, just transplanted a whole STi engine, gearbox, etc into my Gen2, but that was for other reasons. I tend to agree though, work with what you have, a good twin setup is really good, very flexible and great to drive, I simply don't believe anybody who says the twin turbo setup is crap, I drove mine for 7 years like that and it was awesome, never wished for anything else, and would still have it back today if things weren't different in all honesty. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#11 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

I tend to agree though, work with what you have, a good twin setup is really good, very flexible and great to drive, I simply don't believe anybody who says the twin turbo setup is crap, I drove mine for 7 years like that and it was awesome, never wished for anything else, and would still have it back today if things weren't different in all honesty.

Regards
Paul

that's what I want to hear! What mods were you running on it? I was going to get it tuned with openECU or the like. Maybe even have a go at it myself. After much learning ofcourse.

#12 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

bump to an old topic. Anyone else done the conversion on this forum. Seems to be a fairly popular conversion. There is a write up on the NZ forums that makes it sounds doable.

#13 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

i'm in the process of collecting the bits to do it. mine is a Rev D (australian delivered) and i've already paid for an ecutek 2. my tuner says he can re-tune the original ECU as long as I use an aftermarket boost controller. he's done it before too, and it saves me re-pinning the loom for a WRX ECU and paying for another ecutek "license". doing it this way requires a few less bits than the list on clubsub. for example there's no need to get a complete inlet manifold. i'll sort out the specifics when i get to doing it, but it looks like swapping the parts is relatively straightforward. once its together i'll get an exhaust done as i've still got the stock one, and then have it tuned.

#14 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Just found out recently that you would also need to change the transmission mount to the single turbo one you can just change the middle section of the mount (the one that line up with the transmission) cost me $30 with this you can use the single dump pipe without modification hope this help

#15 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

I went single turbo after a big end bearing well over a year ago , biggest mistake ever. My TT was well modded and had zero lag unlike now with my single. I have over 20 ATW kw's more but i reckon my old car would wipe the floor with this thing. Also i've had cold starting issues since day one and the car is back at the mech's now and has been for 6 weeks trying to fiqure out why it doesn't start 1st go in the cold weather. I fuggin hate my car now , i wish it would just go away some where and die like cats do.
Nothing left to break .

#16 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

what turbo are you running?

MY07 GT spec B

#17 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

I went single turbo after a big end bearing well over a year ago , biggest mistake ever. My TT was well modded and had zero lag unlike now
with my single. I have over 20 ATW kw's more but i reckon my old car would wipe the floor with this thing.
Also i've had cold starting issues since day one and the car is back at the mech's now and has been for 6 weeks trying to fiqure out
why it doesn't start 1st go in the cold weather.

I fuggin hate my car now , i wish it would just go away some where and die like cats do.

i agreed, after my single i wanted to go back to tt
as an everyday drive the tt is much better

mine wasnt moded at that time so i had the vod but it was still nicer to drive

cold start issue - would it due to the brandt alarm? i had the same issue and got the main module replace and its start perfectly now (with alot of other issue fixed)

#18 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

biggest mistake ever.

Interesting you should say that.

Makes me reconsider even thinking of doing this.

I'm a fan of the (flawed as it is) twin turbo setup.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#19 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hi,

i wish it would just go away some where and die like cats do.

Quite possibly the greatest line ever posted on SubyClub.

Cheers,
Nik

#20 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

I can only imagine you would get code 66, twin turbo system, as there isn't one Posted Image

I reckon it would be worth doing, and you could do it on a budget with the right research and some decent second hand parts, it's not hard really.
Alex had mods done as well, like new FMIC, turbo, twist mount, etc, hence price is irrelevant when comparing that conversion. I went a slightly different way, just transplanted a whole STi engine, gearbox, etc into my Gen2, but that was for other reasons.

I tend to agree though, work with what you have, a good twin setup is really good, very flexible and great to drive, I simply don't believe anybody who says the twin turbo setup is crap, I drove mine for 7 years like that and it was awesome, never wished for anything else, and would still have it back today if things weren't different in all honesty.

Regards
Paul

i went full STI long block transplant as well , who di your conversion if you don't mind me asking ?

what turbo are you running?

Vf35
Nothing left to break .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users